Talk

Advanced search

Baby vomiting

(19 Posts)
Hermione22 Mon 10-Feb-20 19:57:46

Hi..
a little advice on baby vomiting my 6week old has projectile vomited twice over the last 24 hours .. a little concerned as there was so much milk and this has happened twice now!
Any advice or help would be appreciated smile
Has anybody LO had this?

joffreyscoffees Mon 10-Feb-20 20:04:07

Please just call 111 - you'll get a range of responses on here.

reelteeth901 Mon 10-Feb-20 20:09:00

Agree 111 it will put your mind at rest, it could of been trapped wind which can sometimes make the whole feed come back up or it could be a bug - best to let them triage you/dc and take their advise.

Bol87 Mon 10-Feb-20 22:26:55

Reflux? My baba projectile vomited constantly as a baby until we got onto medication!

But if it’s a completely new thing, 111 will run over some basics. Does baby seem unwell, ie. floppy, temperature, hard to wake, irritable? Or where they sick & then back to their normal self? The latter I’d say more likely reflux. The former, more of a concern!

Hermione22 Tue 11-Feb-20 06:49:32

We have our 6 week check up tomorrow with the Doctor so I was going to mention this then .. although I have tried to contact HV but no reply as of yet.

We’ve been to the doc about reflux last week and was given Gaviscon for reflux as baby was sick after most feeds, but then HV told me I couldn’t use the formula I was on as this was a thickening agent so we switched!

Thank you I will call take the advise hopefully it is just something like trapped wind.

Puddlelane123 Tue 11-Feb-20 07:00:28

Very rarely this can be a surgical issue called Pyloric Stenosis, so worth a google (so you know what to look out for symptom wise) and definitely get seen by GP. Hopefully just a bit of reflux though

Hermione22 Tue 11-Feb-20 07:28:14

@puddlelane123 l did read something about this I hope this is not the case, baby was early so only small anyway, needs all the feeds to gain weight.

Sleepycat91 Tue 11-Feb-20 09:32:34

I have a projectile vomiter.. we thought reflux but she cant have gavascon due to it causing constipation and shes had bowel surgery so tried to get the other medication which has been recalled and i cant get it. Shes on c and g comfort milk anyway which is a bit thicker and use tommee tippee colic bottles and its got a lot less, hardly ever happens now unless she catches her breath and starts gulping air. Its hard and it does look alot, it was awful seeing it all pour out of her nose and mouth. Try colic bottles is my best advise, we spoke to a pharmacist that gave us some good tips too

JessMike Tue 11-Feb-20 09:42:34

@Hermione22 If you're worried, see a healthcare professional. There are so many different reasons for a child to vomit like that, could be reflux, could be a stomach bug, could be a trapped burp!

Hermione22 Tue 11-Feb-20 10:27:17

Ive been told different by health care professionals .. Gp said okay to use gaviscon with c & g comfort but then HV said not to so I’m now on c & g stage 1 with gaviscon we had no projectile vomit with comfort and gaviscon.

Hermione22 Tue 11-Feb-20 10:29:04

@Sleepycat91 I use the DR browns bottles have done since birth are the DR browns classed as colic bottles?

KidneyChaos Tue 11-Feb-20 11:09:38

I was always told (by our hospital) it's not ideal to give anti-reflux formula with added anti-reflux medication so by the sounds of the advice you've been given the HV would be right but I'm no expert.

Hermione22 Wed 12-Feb-20 19:24:42

So.. no further forward really with the reason behind the projectile vom .. although doc seems to think I it is certainly reflux..
had a really bad day today with crying and a very irritable bab including baby being sick again not projectile though but there was a lot .. she also seems to be in a pain too ..

Is there anything else that will help ??

Did anyone change LOs formula and this happen?

BumbleNova Wed 12-Feb-20 19:27:46

She could have cow's milk protein allergy? Definitely go back to the doctor.

KidneyChaos Thu 13-Feb-20 11:45:52

Has you baba's poop changed? Plenty of wet nappies?

I'm also thinking GP.

Hermione22 Thu 13-Feb-20 14:29:33

@KidneyChaos changed in what way? Yes still plenty of wet nappies.

KidneyChaos Thu 13-Feb-20 16:19:29

Just wondering if your lo could have a bug on top of the reflux. My ds had sever reflux and when he caught a bug I'd notice the poop would be worse than usual 🤣

Hermione22 Thu 13-Feb-20 17:06:28

@KidneyChaos oh i wouldn’t say her poop has changed still the same nasty stuff as ever 😂
Were you given anything else for the reflux I’ve been given gaviscon

KidneyChaos Fri 14-Feb-20 11:45:59

Yeah we had 2 different medications but bear in mind, our son has kidney issues so his was extreme. We had zantac for a while but wasn't strong enough and were given losec in the end. As he got older it got better.

We did a few other things to help him such as feeding him in a more upright position and keeping him upright after his feed for a good 30mins.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »