This is a Premium feature
Taking a newborn abroad(193 Posts)
Just looking some advice. Pregnant after a MC last year, currently 15 weeks - all is going well. Due 19th July. First baby.
We've booked a holiday for the start of September, Gran Canaria. Baby will be anywhere between 4-8 obviously depending on when baby is born.
My question is, will I be able to take baby swimming? Don't think immunisations will have been done by then but I've read elsewhere it's okay? The pool is outdoor and unheated however the weather will be about 30C. Will baby be okay just 5 mins at a time in a wetsuit?
Further to this, would just like to know if anyone has any experience of taking a baby this young abroad? Any top tips of things to take or general advice is very welcome. Starting to worry that we should have waited till baby a little older.
I wouldn’t take a baby that small in an unheated pool in 30 degree heat if I’m honest. I waited until immunizations for mine.
Babies get cold quick in heated pools in the UK so theres no way I'd be taking one in a cold pool. I'm sure theyll be happy enough under a parasol 😁
Maybe just a little feet paddling then
Just see what they think - I'm sure theyll let you know if they are not a fan lol!
We are actually planning a trip when baby will be 12 weeks old and I too am going through all sorts of crazy planning, wondering what I need and what I will have to do!
Are you crazy? If you have a section you may be struggling to walk depending on your recovery. If you have any post birth complications you may still need medical care, dressings replaced or wound care.
I'd cancel the holiday.
Will you have a passport? We had to wait 3 weeks for a registration appointment and then a passport could be a other 2-3 weeks
I'm quite an adventurous person but I wanted to just be near home in those early weeks. It won't be any kind of holiday. A baby that young eats and sleeps a lot but you could still be getting to grips with breastfeeding, or if you are bottle feeding you'll need to take equipment to sterilise bottles plus you'll need to find the correct kind of bottled water to use.
What if you end up having a c section? I couldn't have flown at 4 weeks post section. Infections for you are a very really risk. Even someone having a natural birth can end up needing an extended healing period depending on any injuries they end up with.
Babies that young struggle to regulate their temp so cold water plus hot weather isn't a great mix.
I don't want to sound like I'm putting a downer on it but if I were you I'd try now to move it to another date, maybe before you go back to work so you have a nice break?
@hercwasonaroll No, not crazy thanks for the rude response. I understand that they may be various different issues. I'm actually pushing for an elective section, 6 weeks is plenty of recovery time, I'm not worried about that at all. Most people are up and about within 2 days of a section. After 6 weeks I'm sure I'd be fine.
Also the heat isn't a worry, people in warm countries have babies too being born in the summer and going away a few weeks later, I don't think the heat would be an issue. Obviously baby will be under a shade, hat on, cream on, hydrated.
Don't need anybody to call me crazy, was just looking for advice on people that have done this previously and have actual experience - not people who haven't and are trying to speculate the worst case scenario
😂 Oh your naivety.
After 6 weeks I had a 7cm deep open wound and couldn't walk further than the local shop. You might be fine, there's a chance you won't be.
Baby won't be vaccinated, you'll be pushed to get baby registered and get a passport. You might be struggling to feed. Baby will have various appointments at 6ish weeks (HV, 6 week check with doctors).
I'm guessing this is your first baby.
Yes thought about passport, should be fine going to have forms filled out as much as possible before hand, get as much done as I can. Will even go down to passport office if needed due to a delay with birth certificate but should be fine. 4 weeks may be pushing it but 6 weeks I think is do-able
was just looking for advice on people that have done this previously and have actual experience
You won't find many people who have taken a 4 week old on a flight when they don't need to. There is a reason for this.
I'd try to reschedule to be honest.
I didn't have an entirely uncomplicated birth (grade 3 tear) but I drove myself to the shops with the baby the day after we were discharged and basically bounced back from birth (no choice really). Even I wouldn't have gone abroad that soon. All I wanted to do was lie about in pyjamas and sleep for about 3 months.
Depending on when the baby comes there's a very real chance you'll still be bleeding throughout the holiday and unable to wear tampons so swimming may not be an option at all. Passports will also be an issue - if the baby is late you might not get one on time.
What about safe sleeping? Where will the baby sleep on holiday? Are you taking a cot or is one that's up to code supplied?
I think the OP may be in for a big shock. And that is in no way meant to be nasty.
I really recommend cancelling the holiday.
I took my 11 week old abroad for an unexpected family emergency.
It was difficult and I was concerned about germs during the flight and in the airports. The good news was they settled and slept very well. We got a baby cot seat. And I breastfed so that was convenient.
I was tired though after weeks of poor sleep. I don’t think I would have enjoyed a holiday but I did enjoy arriving at my destination and having family take care of me and not having to do anything.
I wouldn't take an unimunised baby on a plane let alone in a pool. You are living in a dream land if you think most people are up after 2 days of a Cs. Wake up and smell the coffee.
Sounds like you need a holiday
There a definitely a ton of people who take babies abroad, have you ever been on a plane? Always full of babies, as you can tell by the crying looking for advice from the people who HAVE done this. Found a lot of old threads on various sites, where people have had great holidays with newborns, even younger than this however I am just looking for some current advice as a lot of those threads were ancient.
I understand there may well be complications with the birth or a difficult recovery. If that happens, that’s fine I’ll cancel, not bothered about the money. This is a hypothetical scenario based on myself being completely fine.
Sorry OP, but you do come across as a bit naive.
If you end up having to cancel last minute due to c section or baby unwell in any way (nicu, jaundice, issues feeding such as CMPI etc) your insurance are highly unlikely to cover it. Just a heads up.
Personally there’s no way I’d have gone abroad so early. The pool and shade is the least of your concerns. Get to a few months and then go and have a fab time.
I recovered very well from my second section but there's no way going abroad would have been on my list of things to do.
OP I'm not trying to be nasty or belittle you. I really think you have no idea what is coming and you need to be realistic about the holiday. (or have cast iron insurance for you cancelling).
@Frenchfancy wouldn’t take an unimmunised baby on a flight? that’s a bit OTT, it’s Spain not Ebola infected countries. All airlines allow babies over 2 days old, if there was a risk, they wouldn’t be allowed. Again looking for advice from people that have done this and have an experience and tips to share. Not scaremongerers who daren’t let their kids play in mud.
Please login first.