Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

How could i have handled this situation this morning better?

(5 Posts)
mm22bys Fri 31-Aug-07 13:45:28

I was feeding DS2 his cereal this morning (in front of the TV). DS1 (3) had had his breakfast, but he had helped himself to a packet of crackers and kept on trying to feed them to me. I had one, but did not feel like having any more, so I said no to him. He kept on insisting, so I took them from him, and put them behind me on the sofa. He reached over, grabbed them, then shook them up so they went all over the floor.

I snapped and put him in his room.

It didn't feel very satisfactory.

What could I have done differently / better?

MamaG Fri 31-Aug-07 13:47:37

I would make them eat together, at the table.

If DS1 gets something like a box of crackers and refuses to give them back, take them off him and put in teh kitchen where he can't get them.

I think he was probably playing up because you were giving DS2 "attention" (from a 3yo's POV!) as he had already eaten, if you all sit together and eat, it should help

beansprout Fri 31-Aug-07 13:51:22

That's a good idea. If I need ds to stop pestering me for something, it tends to need to go out of sight and away somewhere. He will then get upset but a distraction might help in the meantime.

It's difficult, please don't give yourself a hard time! smile

mm22bys Fri 31-Aug-07 13:51:53

Thanks for the suggestion.

DS2 is still being fed in his bouncy seat, and it's more comfy (better for my back!) to do it in the lounge.

DS1 got up before me, so DH fed him.

I would normally have put the crackers out of his reach (on top of the kitchen cupboards), but was trying to finish off DS2s feed.

Yes, he probably was just trying to get my attention too!

I make a rod for my own back, it's better to try to stop these things before they get out of hand, but maybe I got my priorities wrong this morning.

THx

MamaG Fri 31-Aug-07 15:13:11

mm I REALLY wouldn't worry about it though, its really not that big a deal, just kids stuff

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: