Talk

Advanced search

Teething remedies?!

(10 Posts)
firstimemamma Tue 14-Jan-20 12:19:19

We have a 17 month old ds and have relied on calgel so far (and calpol if it gets really bad). We have teething rings too.

We have just found out calgel has been discontinued. What would you recommend we use instead?

Any teething tips / products much appreciated!

minipie Tue 14-Jan-20 12:25:46

Just had a google and sounds like teething gels are now over the counter - so worth asking your pharmacist? They would probably expect you to have tried teething rings, frozen flannels etc first.

minipie Tue 14-Jan-20 12:27:03

PS all the teething gels have the same active ingredient so if calgel has gone, ask for dentinox or bonjela etc.
PPS Nurofen works better than Calpol for teething IME

notaregularmom Tue 14-Jan-20 12:28:12

Ashton and parsons teething powders are great.

minipie Tue 14-Jan-20 13:08:41

Yes the teething powders do help but iirc they contain quite a lot of sugar (lactose) so not surprising the baby cheers up grin

Lana1234 Tue 14-Jan-20 14:37:32

Boots own teething powder (think I tried everything in desperation) worked wonders for mine

firstimemamma Tue 14-Jan-20 14:54:20

Thank you all. Will perhaps give boots teething powder a try.

@minipie thanks and already spoken to the pharmacist who confirmed calgel is no longer available.

Selfsettling3 Tue 14-Jan-20 17:07:47

Other than sugar teething powders have nothing in them that helps. The NHS website says nurofen is better than calpol for teething. Anbesol oil (not gel) is also really good.

Bipbipbipbip Tue 14-Jan-20 17:43:13

Anbesol liquid and pain relief.

chocolatelover9 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:17:41

I used to use calpol and Ashton's & Parsons - brilliant stuff

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »