Talk

Advanced search

Tears at pre-school

(5 Posts)
Grandpoplar Tue 14-Jan-20 09:16:21

Our boy is almost 3 and is having major tears at drop off at pre-school.

He attend two days a week and spends the other two days with a childminder. I know he settles within 5-10 minutes and he has a good bond with the teachers, but every pre-school day is a real battle.

I feel terrible seeing him so stressed and worked up.

He’s not very verbal so he can’t explain why he doesn’t like it, but I think it’s because of the more structured and more rule-based environment compared to his childminders.

But when I pick him up he’s all smiles and he’s come on leaps and bounds since attending.

Does anyone have any advice?

BillHadersNewWife Tue 14-Jan-20 09:37:14

I wonder if he'd be better sticking with just the one setting OP. I remember my DD attending just a few mornings a week at the same age and she struggled badly.

Eventually her key worker suggested she do three whole days...said that she'd do better. I was a bit hmm but she was right. Perhaps it's not enough...2 days might be a bit too spaced apart. Could he just go to the childminder for 4 days? Or preschool for 4?

Grandpoplar Tue 14-Jan-20 10:04:09

Yes I think that would help, he originally did 4 days with the CM before we put him in pre-school for 2 days to see how he got on. The split setting is meant as a kind of transition until his funded hours kick in next term. I think I may bring this forward slightly as I think it’s confusing matters...

Hepsibar Tue 14-Jan-20 11:01:17

We did the childminder nursery split as I worked full time until they went to school, when I dropped my hours and school holidays ... please dont ask about the effect on pension etc!

My daughter in particular was v tearful at nursery when I dropped her off, but apparently as soon as I was out of sight, I was out of mind! After a bit I tried to make my leaving a fun and would make a big thing of sneaking by the window or crawl by or do faces on the window and she would be watching and laughing with her friends.

Grandpoplar Wed 15-Jan-20 21:29:19

Thanks @Hepsibar, I’ll try keeping things as playful as I can!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »