Talk

Advanced search

Put 2 and 3 year old together

(7 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Useful22 Mon 13-Jan-20 22:14:29

I'm wondering if anyone has any great advise please! My 3 year old is a great sleeper. My 2 year old is the opposite waking numerous times to breastfeed. I have to cosleep to manage this and he hates being alone.

Would it be sensible putting them in a room together so he has company. The older one is desperate to share a room but I realise this may go horribly. I want to stop feeding through the night so thought this could help!

Any thoughts would be appreciated...thank you wise mumsnetters.

LilyMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 13-Jan-20 22:32:31

We're just moving this over to parenting for the OP. flowers

Useful22 Tue 14-Jan-20 09:13:50

Thanks mnhq. Shameless bumping! Any experiences

RhymingRabbit3 Tue 14-Jan-20 09:16:37

Try it for a week, if it's a nightmare then change back

teethgrindwind Tue 14-Jan-20 10:35:57

At two you should be able to just explain you are stopping feeding .. I did. At the same time we moved DS to own room & own bed. To be honest he wasn't waking masses but it stopped all together and he slept in longer, instead of wanting a 5am feed. Plus would then eat his breakfast as not full on milk. A few issues with waking when he stopped wearing nappies to bed about 2.5 because of accidents or just needing to get up to go the toilet.

I would put them in together. Make it sound fun. I used to feed to sleep but just swapped for a cuddle. Good luck.

lyingwanker Tue 14-Jan-20 10:49:22

I've got a 4 year old and 2.5 year old who has only just, last week totally stopped breastfeeding. He was just like your 2 y/o waking up frequently and a few months ago I'd given in and let him co sleep to allow me more sleep. At that point though I refused to allow him to feed through the night after around 10pm. He had a few mini tantrums but nothing major and not for long. So now, at 2.5 I said no more "booby" (sorry, that's what he called it) for the last feed of the day. Now, we didn't really have tantrums or much upset but getting him to settle to sleep has been hard but we are getting there!

He has started off in the same room as 4 year old for ages now but it hasn't changed anything with regards to sleep. They are just like their own separate people that don't affect each other.

Useful22 Tue 14-Jan-20 14:02:32

Thanks for your replies. Some positive experiences which is great to hear. TEETH extra lie in would be amazing!! LYING yes we have booby too!! Sounds like it wasn't as bad to get them to stop as I'm imagining. I will prepare myself and give it a go. Thanks for the encouragement.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »