Advanced search

Taking son abroad without his dad - What do I need?

(14 Posts)
PrussianBlueVelvet Mon 13-Jan-20 20:46:08

I wonder if anybody can help.

I am divorced and I am planning to take my son to Miami on holiday.

His dad is happy for him to go.

Does anybody know what do I need to bring in terms of paperwork, authorisations, etc?

Many thanks for helping!

Pipandmum Mon 13-Jan-20 20:48:49

Do you need anything? I've travelled frequently with my kids without their dad (he's dead now but even when alive) and never had to bring anything other than their passports. Maybe if your name is different?

chocolatesaltyballs22 Mon 13-Jan-20 20:50:14

Nothing. Have been divorced nearly 9 years and took my daughter on holiday without her dad countless times. Never had any issues at all.

sparkylove Mon 13-Jan-20 20:50:51

When my parents took my son abroad as a toddler we got a letter notarised however it wasn't asked for. I think we were being cautious as he was so young and had a different surname. Not sure what else needs to be done though

tribpot Mon 13-Jan-20 20:51:37

Do you have a different surname from your ds? If not, you may not be asked for anything at all.

What I am normally asked for (only on return to the UK) is a copy of ds' birth certificate, so they can match the mother's name to the name on my passport.

What I always carry is a permission letter from my DH I think based on the Mumsnet template.

When I went to the US, I had this permission letter notarised at vast expense - I wouldn't bother for the US again, although I would if I were going to or through Canada as they are very strict (see also South Africa but not much chance you'll end up there on the way to Miami!).

PrussianBlueVelvet Mon 13-Jan-20 20:51:49

Thanks Pip.

Yes, I am pretty certain that there are requirements for travel outside the EU.

I have never taken a man's last name.

My son has his father's surname though.

Thanks anyway.

teenagetantrums Mon 13-Jan-20 20:54:11

Been a while but my kids have a different surname to me. Nobody ever asked . But l always carried thier birth certificate s just in case to prove l was thier mum.

tribpot Mon 13-Jan-20 20:55:18 page sets out the rules for all parents, although in the experience of lots of people on Mumsnet, these are never enforced except on people who don't have the same surname as the children they are travelling with.

Jozen Mon 13-Jan-20 20:57:06

I've never required anything more than a valid passport for each of us.
I've travelled alone with my two kids since they were little through Austraila, Indonesia, UAE and Europe.
I'm married to their dad so obviously he was aware of travel but I don't have the same surname as them. There were never any issues at any point.

Ginbauble Mon 13-Jan-20 20:59:17

I took DS age 11 to New York last year without the. Rest of our family. DS's dad and I are partners but DS has his dad's surname.

We got stopped at immigration and were both questioned about whether his father had given permission for him to travel, why dad wasn't with us etc. Luckily I had a letter from DP giving his 'permission' 😡 🤦🏻‍♀️ for me to take DS on the trip.

Jozen Mon 13-Jan-20 20:59:29

I'd say, as both my children are under 18, that my name and passport details are within their passport information too, that's why there has never been an issue in any country visited.

Ginbauble Mon 13-Jan-20 21:01:10

Oh and I also took his birth certificate but they said they didn't need to see tho - I would still take it next time though just in case!

PrussianBlueVelvet Mon 13-Jan-20 21:01:19

This is all very helpful.

I will ask his dad to complete the template.
I will take his birth certificate with both our names.
I guess I won't be taking the marriage certificate as we are now divorced.

I have had many people ask me for documentation in my travels through the Americas and Africa, Im a bit scared.

KittenVsBox Mon 13-Jan-20 21:20:27

You will probably not need anything, but having a letter as per the website, plus the birth cert (assuming the name on that matches your passport, if not additional paperwork to show the link) will be invaluable if you are questioned.

Same surname means nothing. I share my kids surname and have been stopped and questioned.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »