Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding and WEIGHT

(9 Posts)
4orangebutterflies Mon 13-Jan-20 12:53:22

Hello 😊 I’m 3 months in to feeding my little girl and can I shift any weight? No! What’s this about 😂 I don’t over eat if anything I don’t eat enough I’ve never had a problem with my weight so it’s hitting me quite hard and getting me a little down. Is this normal? Everywhere it’s all breastfeeding helps you lose weight but I’m stuck and can’t seem to lose anything. Hoping I’m not alone!!

DesLynamsMoustache Mon 13-Jan-20 12:55:29

Some women lose weight. Plenty don't. It's one of those things I'm afraid!

DesLynamsMoustache Mon 13-Jan-20 12:56:50

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mother.ly/not-losing-weight-breastfeed-2628386539.amp.html

This has some explanations.

Maltay Mon 13-Jan-20 12:59:36

I'm 15months into BF and only really noticed weight loss when she got to about 8-10months, not sure if that's typical? Now I eat like a horse as I don't want to lose any more.

Yellowmellowgem Mon 13-Jan-20 13:06:01

Some do some don’t! I lost baby weight pretty quick but retained a belly pouch and my HV explained (I might be naive here) that like when we menstruate and our bodies hold a little extra fluid/ fat in preparation for fluid loss that they can do the same for breastfeeding.

namechangenewness Mon 13-Jan-20 13:23:20

I'v bf and I'v ff. no difference in how I lost the weight.

birdybirdbird Mon 13-Jan-20 21:40:42

I didn’t really lose any weight until
I hit the ten month mark. Then it just dropped off and off and off despite eating like a horse. Interestingly, I night weaned in December when LO was 14 months (still feeding at morning wake up and bedtime) and it’s starting to creep back on.

4orangebutterflies Mon 13-Jan-20 23:00:22

Weight has never been a significant thing for me,, I’ve never fussed about it but I’ve never really noticed much of a change and this is my 5th baby. My first I ff and my other 3 I expressed as they were very premature but I was always very very lucky and went back to pre pregnancy weight quite quickly. This time it’s not the case which is why it’s getting me a little down. A few people have mentioned it as well so it’s obviously noticeable to others. Thanks for all the advice though it’s great to not feel so alone in this whirlwind of parenting 😂

ButtonandPickle19 Tue 14-Jan-20 07:00:25

With my first DD I actually gained weight in the first 3 - 4 months because of the sugar craving from BF and lack of sleep! Then it dropped off when I had a little word with myself about my love of cake. This time I’m trying to be more careful and DS is coming up for 3 months and I’ve lost it gently

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »