Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much 'bumpiness' can little babies take?

(7 Posts)
zcm Wed 29-Aug-07 12:03:21

Most of the routes round by me are stony tracks - even with a nice new shiny 3 wheeler with suspension everywhere it seems like my little 5 week old is getting really shaken about (only attempted for a couple of minutes).
I'm getting bored of doing the same little circuit on tarmac but worry that going off-road is not good for her. Any advice please - do you think it's ok or how long should I wait until I try?

Macdog Wed 29-Aug-07 12:20:06

My dd (now 18months) never came to any obvious harm by being bumped about off road in her travel system buggy.
She actually seemed to enjoy it.
I also have a few steps up into my house and she was bumped up and down these on a regular basis as well.

Try it and see how you go. If she's not comfortable/happy she won't be long in letting you know.
I found a head-hugger helped to stop her head bouncing about too much.

Good luck, smile

domesticgrumpess Wed 29-Aug-07 12:24:27

Message withdrawn

zcm Wed 29-Aug-07 13:09:40

thanks macdog - good point - she's pretty good at letting me know when she's not happy! Typically peeing it down today so might have to wait a while. Unfortunately she's got problems with her hips so in a cast from waist to ankles so sling for long periods maybe not so easy.

katylou25 Wed 29-Aug-07 13:40:07

She'll be fine - babies are tough! My ds1 was taken up mountains in the lakes in his 3 wheeler - and would only sleep in it on rough terrain - if I needed him to go to sleep on tarmac would have to rock and bounce it - he didn't like it being smooth!

Macdog Wed 29-Aug-07 17:51:17

Hope her hips are fine when the cast comes off.
Enjoy your walks smile

miniegg Thu 30-Aug-07 19:59:38

zcm, exactly the same thought occured to me as i bumped my DS (5weeks old) along the towpath by the thames yesterday. it's really gravelly/stoney and he was getting pretty jiggled about, but it seemed to send him to sleep! and he's not a good sleeper!
I reasoned that if it was dangerous to small babies to take them along bumpy paths in their prams, the prams would carry a warning sign saying so, or else we'd have heard of the risks by now through some horror story or other in the media.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now