Talk

Advanced search

Books vs devices when out

(10 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

MydogWillow Wed 08-Jan-20 09:52:11

Just curious for opinions on this scenario.

Family with their kids/teens reading books at a restaurant table while waiting for their meal vs family with kids being on their phones doing the same thing.

The book kids were complimented on being well behaved whereas the kids on their phones were seen as anti-social.

Both sets of kids disengaged with eachother and their parents. What's the difference?

LouMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 09-Jan-20 16:29:31

We've moved this over to Chat for you, @MydogWillow smile

DDIJ Thu 09-Jan-20 16:31:07

I don't think books at the table are ok, any more than devices.

PumpkinCounty Thu 09-Jan-20 16:37:14

I'd judge both.

elliejjtiny Thu 09-Jan-20 16:38:51

It depends on a lot of things like the age of the child, any sn etc. Personally I don't use either books or devices at a restaurant with my dc but then we don't go to restaurants that involve waiting as my 5 year old with autism can't cope. We will usually go to a carvery or a pub with a play area.

Aroundtheworldin80moves Thu 09-Jan-20 16:39:02

Reading a book on tablet Vs reading a physical book -same thing really

Reading a book Vs playing a game/social media/etc. - different (especially if volume on)

But depending on situation both could be antisocial

Expressedways Thu 09-Jan-20 16:40:43

I think either are less than ideal but preferable to disturbing other diners for very young children that can’t make conversation or may struggle to wait for their food. It should go without saying that the sound should be off or headphones used for any electronic devices. Older kids/teens should be capable of sitting at the table without either though. I’m baffled that someone would complement the behaviour of teens reading a book though- that’s as if they were expecting them to be having a tantrum under the table like a toddler that was late for their nap confused But to your original point I view both in broadly the same way.

sirmione16 Thu 09-Jan-20 16:47:36

Its a stigma around devices and technology prodominently. However having said that, I would much rather a child be emersed in a book, using their imagination, learning, focused and concentration whilst subconsciously absorbing grammar and literacy skills, along with social or moral lessons from the interactions within the story, than sat with a device on too loud that it will disrupt others, and a game thats quite passive.

Of course it's a case of both in moderation, and I think it's better to use them second to having a conversation and teaching them patience and table manners. Only when they get restless would I crack out something to keep them occupied.

The best families I see (I work in a restaurant) are the ones that bring a pack of cards in or a family game like using the app heads up (charades essentially) and play together! So lovely.

Cohle Thu 09-Jan-20 16:59:49

I think people just assume that a phone is being used for games/videos etc rather than reading a book.

MydogWillow Tue 14-Jan-20 08:44:40

Thank you for your replies. I feel that disengaged is disengaged so was useful to get others opinions.
DS is dyslexic and has never read for pleasure so perhaps I'm more sensitive to the stigma.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »