Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else have a child with a firm dislike of fantasy?

(5 Posts)
EscapeFrom Sun 26-Aug-07 21:45:10

When I mess about with my ds1, and say things like "Maybe that bird is telling his mummy what sort of worms he wants!"

he replies with "No! birds don't talk!"

And the very idea seems to upset him. I explain that I am pretending, for fun hmm(as the ed psych said fantasy games are important for this age), but he just eyes me up and says "Oh. Pretending."

He doesn't seem to get any joy out of it, and this worries me a little. I don't want to push it if he is just perfectly normal, but if it really is important he learns to recognise when people are playing, I will keep plugging away.

so... is this normal, for a four year old?

southeastastra Sun 26-Aug-07 21:46:59

ah yes it's normal, some children are very logical and scientific minded smile

EscapeFrom Sun 26-Aug-07 21:49:13

He will spend ages making real working windmills, with back up boosters, from K'nex, but won't build a nest in the garden for birds because he says they wouldn't come because of the cat.

<<head in hands with bewilderment>>

southeastastra Sun 26-Aug-07 21:50:46

he sounds lovely! i'd like my son to be more intested in things like that. embrace it (and we need more scientists!)

EscapeFrom Sun 26-Aug-07 21:52:51

smile thank you, sometimes I feel like people think he is strange - he marches to his own drum, I think, and it's a LOGICAL drum. And that combined with his speech delay had me worried about mild autism, but I am just letting my imagination run off now grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now