Talk

Advanced search

DD has Bronchiolitis :(

(11 Posts)
Oneworryaday Tue 03-Dec-19 05:41:37

I wrote a thread about my nearly 4 weeks old baby having a cold. It is bronchiolitis and we are in hospital (with many other little ones who have it). I'm very worried, she's on oxygen and that has helped her a lot with feeding and being more alert (she was very sleepy before). Her heart rate is a bit high, oxygen saturation normal,does anyone have experience of it?

She's feeding without a tube at the moment, and having normal amount of wet nappies. I'm also worried she will catch other diseases whilst here...

Oneworryaday Tue 03-Dec-19 05:44:12

Also read some other stories online (I know I shouldn't) of it turning into pneumonia or other things and baby dying. So very worried, but have been trying to pretend I'm calm, which I'm not.

Emelene Tue 03-Dec-19 06:13:37

It's so scary when your child is unwell. She's in the right place. As you have noticed it's a common illness so the team will be very experienced.

I'd write down all your questions so you can ask the medical team when they come round.

I hope your little one gets better really quickly xxx

gothefcktosleep Tue 03-Dec-19 06:17:47

Ahhh gosh, she’s so little. My niece had it at 3 weeks old, it’s horrible because they can’t really give them anything. Just reassure yourself that she is absolutely in the right place and being looked after and you’ll be going home soon. Look after yourself, too. Make sure you’re getting enough food and drink and sleep when you can xx

Oneworryaday Tue 03-Dec-19 06:35:27

I also feel quite guilty because I knew she had a cold on Friday (after visiting GP), and when the cough got worse on the week I should have gone to walk in centre, but waited until yesterday to see GP again. Looking back she also had heavy breathing but I thought it was congestion from cold.

Oneworryaday Tue 03-Dec-19 06:36:04

I wonder if her immune system will be weaker from now onwards. My first didn't get a cold for ages.

anxioussue Tue 03-Dec-19 06:44:55

One of mine had bronchiolitis but their immune system was ok afterwards. Hope your dcs are ok.

LegoLady95 Tue 03-Dec-19 07:01:33

My DD spent a week in hospital with it at age 3 weeks. She was only 5lb4oz born so very tiny. I felt terrible because she had a cold and when I couldn't wake her for a feed I let her sleep and only called when I couldn't wake her for the next feed. They triaged her and admitted her straight away. She had to have a feeding tube and I expressed as she was too weak to breast feed, and various oxygen methods over the week.
They said she probably caught a cold virus from her big brothers.
She hasn't had any long term effects, although always worry when she is ill. She is now 6.

Oneworryaday Tue 03-Dec-19 07:06:39

@LegoLady95 my toddler had a cough so she must have caught it from him, but he was fine as he's older and quite robust. She is quite little and about 9 pounds now.

gothefcktosleep Tue 03-Dec-19 07:08:42

it’s easy to lay blame but really you didn’t do anything wrong, it annoys me that we’re told not to waste doctors time or take up A&E etc that it makes sensible people double cautious about getting help when there’s actually something wrong. Don’t beat yourself up or feel guilty, not really the best use of your energy at the moment. She might just be prone to chest- infection type illnesses and this is really common for babies. Don’t feel bad, it’s just one of those things, you weren’t to know how her cold would progress.

LegoLady95 Tue 03-Dec-19 07:22:32

That is how they explained it to me. She caught a cold virus from her brothers that would manifest as a common cold in an older child, but bronchiolitis in a baby as their tubes are so tiny.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »