Talk

Advanced search

No coats in the car

(111 Posts)
lancslass17 Mon 28-Oct-19 19:21:26

Hi,

So i know little ones not supposed to wear a coat in the car. What do you do when its freezing out? To get too and from the car?

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Mon 28-Oct-19 19:22:57

Blankets

whitetoblerone Mon 28-Oct-19 19:23:38

Either wrap a blanket round or just put their coat on to and from the car, then put the blanket on once they're in.

Stayawayfromitsmouth Mon 28-Oct-19 19:24:03

I have blankets in the car. Coat on to the car, take off in car, strap in and wrap a blanket over til the heater kicks in.

user1493413286 Mon 28-Oct-19 19:26:18

Wrap a blanket around them; if I’m feeling organised it’ll be a blanket that’s been warming on the radiator and then that’s used to cover them in the car until it warms up

Corneliawildthing Mon 28-Oct-19 19:30:29

Why are they not supposed to wear coats in the car? Mine always did and no harm came to them - is this a new ruling confused

onlyoneoftheregimentinstep Mon 28-Oct-19 19:31:56

https://www.goodeggcarsafety.com/blog/winter-coats-and-car-seats-the-winter-facts-every-parent-needs-to-know.html

mumeeee Mon 28-Oct-19 19:32:13

Never heard of not wearing coats in the car.

blahblahblahblahhh Mon 28-Oct-19 19:33:22

Because you can't tighten the car seat straps enough with coats on

Expressedways Mon 28-Oct-19 19:42:03

Here we are advised by the paediatrician to test the coat for safety. Buckle kid in wearing coat & tighten straps. Remove coat and buckle back in without adjusting straps. No slack = ok for the car. Thick fleece type jackets are generally good, down coats with air pockets are to be avoided in the car. No coat at all isn’t really an option for us as it’s too cold and my toddler definitely wouldn’t keep a blanket on her arms!

frogsbreath Mon 28-Oct-19 19:46:15

When my boy was little I kept him in a jumper or cardigan and strapped him into the seat then put his coat back on over the front. Arms through sleeves but backwards like a slanket.

MIL thought I was daft but ds got upset with a blanket over him and I decided it was better to look daft than have him upset 😄

modgepodge Mon 28-Oct-19 20:10:22

‘Mine wore coats and they were always fine’ - and how many accidents did you have whilst they were wearing coats in the car?

30not13 Mon 28-Oct-19 20:35:35

Coat to car, whip off, strap in, replace coat backwards 🤘

Linnylinn1 Mon 28-Oct-19 20:42:46

Assuming they are not walking a mile to the car, we just run out to the car and get strapped in ASAP and then I turn up the heat /use blankets! Mine always wear thermal vests in winter too. No biggie.

Abouttimemum Mon 28-Oct-19 21:48:17

Mine just wears a hoody and a hat and I’ll pop a blanket over until the car warms up. He’ll survive for the 30-second walk! He gets his coat on when we’re outside proper.

thunderthighsohwoe Mon 28-Oct-19 21:49:22

We have a fleece she wears to the car and during journeys. If it’s a trip to the supermarket, soft play etc then she keeps the fleece on. If it’s a proper outing we then swap fleece for coat upon arrival.

JessicaRarebit Mon 28-Oct-19 21:50:47

We don’t travel that often in the car but when we do and it’s early I put a snood around her neck, a hat, a cardigan/jumper and then a blanket over her. I’ve also bought her a mini kids hot water bottle to keep her warm especially during the winter.

I walk her to crèche and she’s always bundled up.

inwood Mon 28-Oct-19 21:53:30

Blankets.

Thistly Mon 28-Oct-19 21:55:07

Until what stage is this ruling (can’t get link working)???
Up until 3 point harness? Or longer?

plinkyblonk Mon 28-Oct-19 21:59:16

If I'm super organised before work in the cold mornings I make a hot water bottle when I wake, it's normally cool enough for my LO to hold under a blanket when we leave in the morning.

I also use a hot water bottle in between towels for swimming get the towels all cosy and kids can hold them if it's a bit chilly until you get them dressed.

Linnylinn1 Mon 28-Oct-19 22:21:24

@Thistly I presume until they are in a proper seatbelt? Not too sure.

Bol87 Mon 28-Oct-19 22:24:43

We have a car fleece, was just cheap from H&M but it goes on as an extra layer and then I bundle a couple blankets on her.. in reality it takes what, 5 mins for your car to start to warm up a bit and by 10, mine is toasty! They’ll be perfectly fine! If it’s really cold, they can wear a hat & gloves too! Then just pack the padded coat for when you arrive at your destination & put that on instead!

Doesn’t ever seem too tricky.,

mamandematribu Mon 28-Oct-19 23:54:53

Mine always wear coats in the car ( coats or snow suits as babies)

mamandematribu Mon 28-Oct-19 23:56:57

I'm sorry but I think a new no coats in the car rule is ridiculous, especially in the middle of winter.

Lookingsparkly Mon 28-Oct-19 23:58:33

Polarn o pyret fleece coat. Thin and so warm.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »