Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about your lovely son?

(190 Posts)
Scarlett555 Thu 24-Oct-19 11:36:21

Just found out I'm having a boy 💙 and while delighted, I'm struggling to imagine what it will be like parenting a son.

I know this is ridiculous as I knew there was a 50/50 chance of baby being a boy.

We are a same sex couple and already have a DD. All his cousins are female and our friends with kids have all have girls so the little guy will grow up surrounded by women.

Please tell me about your lovely boys? They aren't too different to girls right? I'm a bit scared!

bobisbored Thu 24-Oct-19 11:39:35

Congratulations! My DS needs more cuddles and is more sensitive than my DD. He is the first to ask how my day was and make me a cup of tea. He's my sunshine and even though he's bigger than me now he's still my baby. 🌞

Scarlett555 Thu 24-Oct-19 11:41:21

Thank you bobisbored that is exactly that I needed to hear! Your DS sounds wonderful.

Willow4987 Thu 24-Oct-19 11:42:25

I’ve got a boy and he is so cuddly and loving. Definitley has his boisterous moments too!

Comparing my nephews vs nieces, I echo the PP - the boys are generally more sensitive/cuddly. The girls know their own minds and let you know it too grin

cockingup Thu 24-Oct-19 11:43:55

Congratulations! I'm only 6 days in but can definitely identify with the wobbly feeling of being unsure how different a boy would feel to a girl when we first found out. It surprised me because I think I'd consider myself gender critical, but there we go.

My boy is gorgeous and his 'boyness' just feels unimportant now. I'm loving getting to know his little character; watching his big sister fawn all over him; finding our rhythm of feeding; learning to read his little noises and cues...

I don't know if I'm expressing myself well but his sex is just one facet of this whole person he is, and the love and connection I have for and with him completely transcend any wobbles.

Firefliess Thu 24-Oct-19 11:44:31

I felt just like that when I found out DS was a boy! I grew up with just a sister and had him quite young when I didn't know many babies yet.

He's now 19 and has always been absolutely lovely. He's straightforward in that way that boys more often are - was a very curious child asking lots of questions trying to figure out how the world worked. Very smiley. Loved wildlife programs on TV. He's also shared my love of hiking and being in the mountains so the two of us have done one trip a year hiking since he was 8. I always thought he'd reach an age when he wouldn't want to go with his mum, but it hasn't happened yet! I've always had a really easy relationship with him.

It's felt a bit uncharted, having a son. But we've just kind of figured out as we go what works. Good luck!

GoingBackTo505 Thu 24-Oct-19 11:45:11

I could've written your post. I wanted a girl. I'd never even imagined having a boy. I couldn't imagine it. Almost 8 months ago I had a boy! He's absolutely amazing. He's so affectionate and cuddly and also absolutely crazy and full of energy. He's just the light of my life and I wouldn't swap him for any girl ever!

Skiaddicted Thu 24-Oct-19 11:45:21

My boy is a toddler and loves cuddles (always asks for them), he is so gentle with his soft toys, animals and other children and is utterly joyful. His favourite thing to do is snuggle in and have books read to him, closely followed by helping me bake.

Sex doesnt determine personality (but if it did I'd love another boy)

rollon2020 Thu 24-Oct-19 11:45:35

Although I only have a DD all our toddler friends and relatives are boys and I they do need mum and cuddles a bit more than her. As pps have said, she knows her own mind and is quite a daddy's girl. So in comparison i can feel like a spare part occasionally blush

olderandwisernot Thu 24-Oct-19 11:47:01

Had boy and girl, boy is my angel - sooo loving! Mine was not moody (until he reached late teens!), he was funny, so so kind and excitable. Always made me feel utterly loved ! He is 34 now, and I still cuddle and hug him...you will be bowled over I am sure! Congratulations!

CMOTDibbler Thu 24-Oct-19 11:48:41

My ds is 13 now, and although he has his teenage moments he is in general a wonderful person. He was dancing around to Tom Jones this morning, is delighted now his nose is higher than mine when he hugs me, chose to have neon green hair in the summer, and cycles alongside me encouraging me (he's much better than me).

DoorbellsSleighbellsSchnitzel Thu 24-Oct-19 11:49:51

My lovely boy is just that... Lovely from his head to his toes, inside and out. He's thoughtful, sensitive, loving and kind, and still gives me a big hug before he leaves for school in the morning and at bedtime, and at random times in between (nearly 13). He and his younger sister are best friends (most of the time!) And it's so fab to see them giggling at stuff together 💜.

Don't be scared! 😊

Don't be scared!

Scarlett555 Thu 24-Oct-19 11:49:54

@cockingup congratulations to you too! I understand what you mean.

This sounds weird but aside from my dad, I haven't loved anyone male before! So the thought of loving a little boy feels alien. I'm sure I will get the hang of it.

BendingSpoons Thu 24-Oct-19 11:50:00

DS is only 8 months old. He is nearly always smiling and happy and a complete mummy's boy right now. In many ways he is the same as DD. There are differences too but that is not necessarily because he is a boy e.g. he looks like being much earlier walker, possibly to keep up with his sister. If only he wasn't such an awful sleeper!

Sexnotgender Thu 24-Oct-19 11:50:08

My boy is 8 months old and an absolute delight. He’s super chilled and nothing really phases him.

Zoflorabore Thu 24-Oct-19 11:50:49

Hi op smile you need not worry. Boys are amazing. I was 24 when I got pregnant for the first time. He was very much planned and wanted and I really hoped for a boy.

At the 20 week scan he was fiddling with his willy, 16 years later not much has changed grin.

He’s an absolute joy. He is the most loving teenager. He still kisses me in front of his friends, tells me he loves me constantly and thinks that money grows on trees!
We have a very close relationship and he tells me everything. Sometimes I have to remind him that I’m his mum and not his best mate as no subject is off limits.

I have never had any trouble from him and I really am proud of how he’s turning out. He has discovered the ladies but has no confidence which we’re working on. He has lots of girls messaging him and doesn’t realise how bloody lovely he is.

I wish you and your partner lots of luck, it will be amazing flowers

Ocies Thu 24-Oct-19 11:52:25

My ds is now in his mid 20's but is, and always has been, incredibly affectionate. He was always very cuddly as a small child and still wraps his arms around me for a big hug. He is hard working and committed to what he does. He is generous with his time and is genuinely interested in his friends and family.

Mummy1224 Thu 24-Oct-19 11:53:58

Congratulations on your exciting news!
I have an older girl and younger boy (still a baby), and would echo what PPs have said....she is very independent and non-cuddly, he is the opposite which I love! He likes to cuddle and kiss, and put his head on my shoulder when I carry him. Even though we try to be very gender neutral with toys and clothes, he absolutely loves cars and does throw things quite a lot at the moment hmm although he’s a great thrower....
He’s just heaven, yours will be too grin

DinoDansMum Thu 24-Oct-19 11:54:00

To echo everyone else really -DS wants cuddles and mummy time, DD thinks she is the third parent in the family and runs things! She is more stubborn and argumentative than DS. Boys seem to be able to move on from arguments with friends as well, whereas girl's relationships at school seem so much more intense. DS is definitely easier to live with - enjoy!

Scarlett555 Thu 24-Oct-19 11:55:29

I am loving these posts! Thank you so much for sharing these stories about your lovely sons. Now I'm getting my head around the idea I'm getting more and more excited.

starfishcoffee Thu 24-Oct-19 12:00:46

DS is 17 months, he is so full of love. He is very cuddly & affectionate. He is adventurous (climbs everythinghmm) and confident. As a younger baby he was super chilled and just smiled at everyone.

I come from a very female family but I couldn't imagine my DS being any different - he is lovely. Really funny & playful too.

MrsXx4 Thu 24-Oct-19 12:02:25

I felt a bit nervous about having a boy too as I am also surrounded by girl babies from my friends and family etc. My son is 10 months now and he has been an absolute joy from the moment he was born. He is super chilled, loves a cuddle, he crawls over and puts his head on you or puts his arms up just for a quick little cuddle before he goes off to play again, it’s the cutest! He also has the cheekiest little face and I honestly laugh every single day at something he does.

Charley50 Thu 24-Oct-19 12:02:26

My DS is 16 now and sweet and sensitive, although not one for talking about feelings.
He's always been lovely and as a baby and small child loved his cuddles and stories and teddies. Every child had their own little character and personality. Good luck I'm sure he'll be lovely and you'll be fine!

CoodleMoodle Thu 24-Oct-19 12:04:17

Congrats OP! I've got a DD and a DS as well and, as DD(5) is at school and DH is at work, it's me and DS most of the time. DM visits a couple if times per week, so he has a LOT of females around. Very few men, actually.

He's a terror, but I adore him. DD was a perfectly behaved toddler, never needed to worry about her at all. We've just had to put cupboard locks on every door in the kitchen, plus install a stairgate on the bottom as well. Everything of value has been hidden or elevated!

He's extremely clingy to me, hates anybody taking him away from me (in his mind!) and will scream if I walk away when he's particularly bad with it. But he's also cheeky and funny and absolutely adorable, he charms everyone he meets.

And he is, despite his clingyness, much better at independent play. He loves vehicles of any kind and has a huge collection of cars/trucks/tractors (some passed down from DD) which he likes to bring out of the box one by one and twiddle the wheels with his thumb, sometimes pushing them along the floor. He does that for ages with no input from me at all.

Boys are awesome, OP. Just like girls!

EmrysAtticus Thu 24-Oct-19 12:04:32

I can't compare as only have DS and also have 3 DBro so boys is all I know.

DS is the loveliest, gentlest, cuddliest person I have ever met. He is funny and active and just brilliant in every way. Nursery have just sent me a pic of him cleaning up a spill on the floor (not caused by him) and explained that he offered to clean it up for them.

He would share his last sweet with you and he tells me millions of times a day how much he loves me and how amazing I am.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »