Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

O.k. is anyone else struggling to feed their kids a good healthy diet they always thought they would?

(19 Posts)
magsi Thu 09-Aug-07 22:31:56

Right, I have a 21month, 3.5 and 5.5 year old. I am dissappointed in myself sometimes for 'slacking' and 'giving in just to make them eat something' when it somes to mealtimes. Its just another huge feeling of guilt I suppose that we parents feel. We don't have hardly any processed food in the freezer, I think the only thing we have is frozen fish in breadcrumbs. I am cook meals with fresh veg in about 4 nights out of 7. I have to mix this all in together, usually smothered in gravy just to make them eat it. Dinner times consist of sarnies and fruit. I just feel a bit shit sometimes because I give in when my little girl ONLY eats chocolate spread in her sandwiches. We were in Asda today and thought we would eat something in the cafe. I could only order sausage and chips because it was the only thing I knew they would eat. Am I the only one who feels guilty just because their kids don't gladly tuck into fresh cut up salad veg etc. I just feel like I fail them sometimes because they are not getting enough 'proper' food. I realise they are young and fussy, but it just makes you feel weak sometimes doesn't it?

MerryMarigold Thu 09-Aug-07 22:33:48

Tell 'em they eat it or get plain bread!

expatinscotland Thu 09-Aug-07 22:33:50

ME.

DD1 is a wee fyke and to make matters worse, like her father, she's got the appetite of a hummingbird and is skinny and tall.

Then I remembered my penchant for shite food growing up and how I only became a foodie in my mid-20s.

littlelapin Thu 09-Aug-07 22:38:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mosschops30 Thu 09-Aug-07 22:39:26

magsi I'm not sure anyones kids love to tuck into fresh fruit and salad especially not little ones.
ds (2.7) always wants macaroni cheese (of the tinned variety) or chips, he will eat some good stuff but its hit and miss and like you say if we're out its normally something with chips.

dd who is now 11 eats much better, she will actively order salad with things and enjoys subway rather than macdonalds. She loves a proper dinner with all the veg.

I think they improve with age

madamez Thu 09-Aug-07 22:40:14

Hey, if they eat the veg when you cover it in gravy, that's definite progress. Some kids will detect vegetables from miles away and fall out of their highchairs gagging with rage... FIsh fingers and baked beans, etc, won't kill kids, and as long as they have a reasonably varied diet (ie they'll eat more than just biscuits and cheese strings) and you keep offering variations, then you're doing fine.

FrayedKnot Thu 09-Aug-07 22:42:12

I ate quite a limited diet as a kid too, was very fussy, but was never pressurized into eating anything, and started to be more adventurous when i was older.

E.g. I started eating salad when I was 7 and I discovered salad cream

By 14 I was eating mussels in white wine etc so really into trying lots of stuff I had never had before.

DH & I eat a varied & healthy diet, but I struggle with DS (3.4), he is quite picky and eats very little veg.

But I am relaxed about it because I think he will try things in his own time if I keep offering different things, and not get us all stressed about it.

DS promises me when he is 4 he will eat cucumber!

paolosgirl Thu 09-Aug-07 22:44:27

I used to feel guilty, and then I decided, b*gger it - everything in moderation. Now I make sure they eat a balanced diet, and don't stress about the crap that's there, because I know that I'm doing all that I can to feed them as healthy a diet as I can. I also make sure they are informed as to what makes something healthy or unhealthy.

I think if you ban the junk entirely it just makes it seem even more attractive, so just relax - it sounds as if you're doing a great job

Pruners Thu 09-Aug-07 22:45:36

Message withdrawn

magsi Thu 09-Aug-07 22:48:16

Thanks guys. You know I don't think the advert on Nick Jnr helps when they play the lunchtime song and all the kids are merrily licking their lips over preparing lovely chopped up fresh things and you put yet another chocolate spread sarnie infront of your little ones!. Oh well, I do use brown bread I suppose. I think a lot of the guilt somes from the fact that I ALWAYS prepared my own babyfood for all three kids in their early years and took pride in the fact that not a jar passed their little lips and they used to eat everything then, fresh fish etc etc. Still, I suppose you have to look at their weekly intake and balance it out from there. God I do worry sometimes (she says reaching for another chocolate biscuit) .

littlelapin Thu 09-Aug-07 22:48:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

harpsichordcarrier Thu 09-Aug-07 22:51:24

magsi, I think it looks like you are doing great.
imo and after bitter experience try to offer loads at breakfast of all the food groups (inc protein) and then after that you can relax
just try and stay as chilled out as you can and don't make anything into a battle.

magsi Thu 09-Aug-07 22:55:10

harpsichordcarrier. Great idea about breakfast, but could you come and explain to my little girl that there is more to life than mini-chocolate wheatabix coz she sure as hell will not eat ANYTHING else for breakfast!!!

harpsichordcarrier Thu 09-Aug-07 22:56:49

and if they will eat fruits or veg as snacks then give them snacks if it works!
we have got into the habit of raw carrots and grapes when lazytown comes on

magsi Thu 09-Aug-07 23:01:24

Do you know it is absolutely silly when us as loving nurturing parents are supposed to be the strong ones, but melt and give in in a jiffy when our little ones pull the right strings. Don't get me wrong, I am no pushover, but sometimes you do it just to get a quite life. God i AM such a bloody pushover!

harpsichordcarrier Thu 09-Aug-07 23:03:57

magsi - me too. nutrition is important. but happiness is also important. harmony. not bitching three times a day. having fun mealtimes together. not stressing. having a happy mother.
these things are all important! don't sacrifice these for a mythical "perfect" diet.
I promise you the vast majority of children in this country eat a diet v similar to your children's. very few are munching through bowls of raw broccoli

Doodledootoo Thu 09-Aug-07 23:05:32

Message withdrawn

magsi Thu 09-Aug-07 23:06:01

Harpsichordcharrier (great name by the way) . Thanks for those wise words and on that note, I am retiring to my bed feeling a little less guilty .

magsi Thu 09-Aug-07 23:10:34

Doodledootoo . I might try that approach. I have just had a vision of me frogmarching into the room dressed in full army gear armed and dangerous and ready for action, blowing my whistle armed with veg and salad a-plenty. God, I need to go to bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now