Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bike or scooter for a 3 year old

(11 Posts)
NKd1167739100921 Thu 09-Aug-07 16:11:27

We want to buy a bike (with stabilisers) or scooter for DD who will be 3 soon and wondered what's most practical for life in the city. I'm 5 months pregnant so won't be able to run after her if she goes whizzing off and wondered what other people's experience is.
Thanks

juuule Thu 09-Aug-07 18:05:07

What would your dd like?

MingMingtheWonderPet Thu 09-Aug-07 18:10:25

I found that at 3 they are more independent on a scooter. Bikes can be a pain cos you have to keep pushing them and they really don't look very stable, even with stabilisers. DS didn't really get the hang of the brakes on his bike for a while, but at least he could just jump off his scooter!

LIZS Thu 09-Aug-07 18:12:43

scooter first, so they learn to balance. Either a chunky 3 wheeler or , if you feel brave , one with 2 wheels on fornt and one on back, they go really fast but ar elighter to carry.

cazzybabs Thu 09-Aug-07 18:13:08

What about a bike without pedals - my dd (who is nearly 3) loves hers and I (who am 5 months pregnant) can keep up with her. WE also have a trike with a pole that I can push without any trouble. I am not sure dd2 (who is 3 in Oct) could pedal a bike yet, although she is on the short side.

We got dd1 a scooter when she was 4.5 for Xmas - a proper microscooter which she loves.

Nemo2007 Thu 09-Aug-07 18:13:23

For DS on his 3rd bday we bought a bike, he also has a scooter which I end up carrying half the time where Ds will ride his bike no problems.We took his scooter to the park last week and it ended up sitting on the pram and he walked!

footprints Thu 09-Aug-07 18:13:45

Bought dd a pink scooter by request on her bday and she loves it. She's struggling to get to grips with steering, but definitely easier for her than a bike.

NKd1167739100921 Mon 13-Aug-07 14:28:20

Thanks for your messages. DD varies between wanting a bike and a scooter depending on the day! Maybe the scooter will be the best option based on your comments. Thanks

Smithagain Tue 14-Aug-07 20:15:34

If you want to encourage her to learn to balance, go for a bike without pedals. Like this: www.kinetics.org.uk/html/childrensbikes.shtml
or this: www.myfirstbike.co.uk/
or this: www.bouncyhappypeople.co.uk/showdetails.asp?id=2473

There are cheaper ones around, but I can't find them on a quick google search. Maybe someone else knows where they are. We got ours for £30 from Lidl, but they only stock them once in a blue moon.

DD1 had one at about three. She progressed from pushing it along to scooting with both feet off the ground for longer and longer stretches. At 4.5, her balance was so good that she took 15 minutes to master a "proper" bike. She has never needed stabilisers.

However, for actual transport around city streets, I would go for a scooter. Probably a lightweight one with three wheels, so you can carry it if she gets tired/bored.

diamondmum Tue 14-Aug-07 21:52:56

i would deffo go for a scooter my ds had 1 for his 3rd and loves it!!

funnypeculiar Tue 14-Aug-07 21:57:38

scooter
although agree with smithagain that a like-a-bike rip off is better than a proper bike

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now