Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

What are your thoughts on pre-school for a 2 and a half year old?

(12 Posts)
Psychobabble Thu 09-Aug-07 14:49:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Psychobabble Thu 09-Aug-07 14:50:30

IdrisTheDragon Thu 09-Aug-07 14:52:34

I personally sent DS to pre-school at 2.5 and will do with DD, but it is completely up to you. If you feel it would be a good idea for him to go, then he can, but you know more about him than your HV.

What was he like when he was at nursery? Did he enjoy it?

doggiesayswoof Thu 09-Aug-07 14:53:06

Go with your own instincts. Your hv is trying to help but if you don't want to do it, then don't.

OTOH, your ds was at nursery before so you have left him with other carers - not sure what the difference is between leaving him at nursery and leaving him at pre-school? Were you unhappy with him being at nursery too?

throckenholt Thu 09-Aug-07 14:54:59

do any of the friends go to the preschool ?

Presumably he is used to being left at nursery ?

For what it is worth - I think one or two mornings would be fun for him.

Psychobabble Thu 09-Aug-07 14:55:14

IdrisTheDragon Thu 09-Aug-07 14:56:19

I do enjoy the time when DS is at pre-school and DD can have some time with just me.

LIZS Thu 09-Aug-07 14:56:41

It isn't necessary but I did feel both were ready for it , certainly by 2 1/2 - 3. It is worth having the break just so you can get some one-to-one with your baby and do the chores without a toddler constantly in tow. That way the tiem you do spend wiht him is less about just getting through the day and mroe focussed on him. Perhaps with all the classes/groups you are trying a bit too hard and this may relieve the pressure on you. From his pov he can explore activities he may not do at home and become more independent(a double edged sword !). btw he doesn't have to go to school at 3 1/2 if he isn't ready , he could stay at preschool and go into Reception the next year.

samanthar Thu 09-Aug-07 14:57:01

our pre school takes them from two and half but ds wasnt potty trained so i had to go in and change nappies if he pooed! they seemed to enjoy it but were a bit over two and half. two sessions sounds about right

throckenholt Thu 09-Aug-07 14:57:12

can you stay for a bit to start with ? That is what most people did at my preschool.

Psychobabble Thu 09-Aug-07 14:57:51

Psychobabble Thu 09-Aug-07 15:31:34

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now