Talk

Advanced search

Toddler hurting himself at nursery!

(15 Posts)
Courtney10891 Wed 11-Sep-19 18:36:11

Hi,

Looking for some advice or some reassurance!!
My son turned 2 only 2 weeks ago. He started nursery yesterday (Tuesday). He will be attending there 4 days a week for 4 hours per day. On Tuesday his first day I stayed with him for only half hour because he seemed happy and absolutely fine! They rang me at half 11 to say he had fallen over whilst playing outside and grazed his face. I went straight away to collect him. His nose, mouth and forehead was quite badly grazed but he seemed fine within himself. Today again I dropped him off and he seemed happy. I then went to collect him and was told he had fallen again and grazed his forehead as well as falling backwards off his chair whilst having his lunch. So he has been there two days and I’ve had to sign the injury book three times already. I understand toddlers hurt themselves and my son is one of those toddlers that literally have no fear! However I’m worried because I’m nervous enough as it is him going nursery and this is making me worry ten times more! The stage there seem lovely but I’m worried he will I hurt himself worse one day! Does anybody else have any toddlers that hurt themselves a lot? When I picked him up he seemed so happy and didn’t seem upset at all but I don’t want him hurting himself every day.

mankyfourthtoe Wed 11-Sep-19 19:11:34

If he was at the park with you, does he 'go off' and play or are you hovering. Would he fall at the park?
Do his shoes fit, too big or small? Or new?

Courtney10891 Wed 11-Sep-19 19:16:50

He is accident prone! His shoes fit fine. He is a active toddler and likes to run a lot! When I take him out to the park etc occasionally he hurts himself. My main concern is that he keeps falling on his face. I am naturally a worrier and worry about him hitting his head x

Landlubber2019 Wed 11-Sep-19 19:17:04

Hmmm I would monitor this, do you think he is being sufficiently supervised?

Courtney10891 Wed 11-Sep-19 19:23:14

There are 3 women working there and only around 14 kids ranging from 2-4 yr olds. They was last rated outstanding in ofsted so I had high hopes. The first day he apparently say in a wheelbarrow and sat forward and tipped out. I did think to myself well why was he allowed in the wheelbarrow? I understand kids hurt themselves but he’s been there 2 days!

mankyfourthtoe Wed 11-Sep-19 19:28:09

If he's accidental prone then I'd just put it down to him doing before thinking and being too enthusiastic.
Have you chosen a nursery where children experiment or one where they're strictly supervised as they usually have an ethos.
They will keep an eye on it as it's not good for them to have lots in the accident book.

Courtney10891 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:24:58

I totally understand he’s accident prone and these things are bound to happen but to be fair after he hurt himself on the first day I thought to myself maybe they would keep an extra eye on him today but he still managed to hurt himself twice. It’s making me feel anxious and worried about sending him

maternityleave234 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:34:04

I think our record is four times in a week for head injuries at nursery, I’ve never picked him up early though. Their policy is to ring with any head injury, they tell you what he’s done, what they’ve done, ie cold compress and that he’s fine.
I’ve never got him early apart from with sickness / high temp.

L

maternityleave234 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:37:22

I got to the point when they’d ring I’d be say “ what’s he done now?!”
We notice with him when he has a growth spurt he becomes highly clumsy, this plus other kids in the mix equals accidents. Personally I wouldn’t worry and I’d also stop getting him early when he hurts himself!

Sweetooth92 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:42:26

I reckon I could re wallpaper the house in accident forms from nursery. They have to do them for everything. While it seems your little one has had two days with actual accidents-they have to do a form
For every little thing. After a while you get used too it. If he has been unfazed by it and seems happy I wouldn’t worry it’s anything sinister. Just toddlers learning they don’t bounce (though fairly sure mine is still made of Teflon/just doesn’t care)
I’d stop picking him up too unless he’s overly upset/it needs medical attention.

Courtney10891 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:50:52

Thank you for your replies. The only reason I picked him up early was because it was his first day and it was a settling in day and they said they didn’t want him upset on his first day. Today when he grazed his forehead and fell off the chair they didn’t call me they just told me when I picked him up. X

fireandbrimstoneetall Wed 11-Sep-19 20:59:55

It's fine. Mine ran full pelt into a radiator the other day, as per protocol the nursery sent me a pic and advised me to come pick her up.
By the time I had got there (full on panicking, and from my point of view, trying to arrange cover) she was laughing and eating her second portion of lunch.
They bounce back. Just remember to remind myself of this.

SofiaAmes Wed 11-Sep-19 21:00:22

DS was accident prone. He could walk across a completely bare floor and trip and fall. He gave himself a black on his first day with the childminder, by tripping into the edge of a radiator. Came home from school almost every day with an injury. It was helpful once dd started at the same school, she would give me the report of how he had injured himself..."mum, he was walking across the playground looking up into the sky and tripped over a bench and smashed his face" Or there was the time that he dove into a pile of leaves (luckily had learned to dive with his arms above his head...his fist hit the concrete under the leaves and bounced back and he gave himself a black eye...but luckily it broke the dive into the leaves concrete. Ds is now 18 and still gets injured on a regular basis...got hit by a car a few weeks ago because he had decided to eat his lunch while skateboarding around the streets of San Francisco.
The good news is that it seems to be a sign of a highly intelligent child. Most of the men in my extended family have genius IQ's and are extremely clumsy.
Ds wasn't any good at team sports, but is an excellent swimmer and surfer.

Courtney10891 Wed 11-Sep-19 21:15:13

Thank you for your replies!! I’m glad to hear that my son isn’t the only clumsy one lol! It doesn’t help I’m currently 8 months pregnant and I guess my anxiety is already through the roof! I’m hoping that once he gets older and maybe starts seeing the older kids walking and not running and falling in their faces then he will stop x

SofiaAmes Thu 12-Sep-19 03:49:59

Courtney I think you have to wish for other more realistic things. We live at the top of a hill and it's 5 long blocks downhill to the elementary school. Every day for 6 years, I walked DS to school and every day he would go running down the hill and at least twice a week for 6 years would trip and fall and scrape himself up and it never occurred to him to stop. On the other hand, after the very first time dd tripped and fell on that hill, she never ran down it again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »