Talk

Advanced search

Your Essential newborn buys VS purchases that are a waste of money...

(15 Posts)
Moomin8 Wed 11-Sep-19 16:25:41

I'm pregnant with dc4 and there's going to be 10 years between her and my next youngest.

I can't really remember what I needed the most last time.

Planning on breastfeeding & no idea if I'll need bottles or not. Or whether to hire a pump when the time comes.

Ratbagratty Wed 11-Sep-19 16:32:44

Lots of second hand items including pumps on eBay. I couldn't have got through without a feeding pillow the large one and the bouncy chair. Worst purchase that was never used - a playpen.

CluelessNewMama Wed 11-Sep-19 16:41:09

I a econd the feeding pillow, I bought the Widgey one from John Lewis and it’s made feeding so much more comfortable. Money well spent. The Haakaa was also a great purchase but wish I had bought it earlier on to build up a great stash of milk.

CluelessNewMama Wed 11-Sep-19 16:41:30

That should say ‘second’

Lunafortheloveogod Wed 11-Sep-19 16:42:44

A baby to toddler rocker as ds is now rather chunky so his first swing couldn’t push him at 4 months.
We ended up on formula n use the perfect prep religiously (prescription formula no premades and night feeds)
Changing table.. my back loves it! He’s only now thinking about turning but it’s got high sides and I give him a toy so he lays still, loads of bits to keep poonami emergency bits in.

Oddly we use the play pen loads for his play mat as I have dogs so it means I can nip into the kitchen (they’re small can’t get into it and he can’t get out) and know he can’t grab a tail or be over mothered by my old female who would make an amazing nanny if she wasn’t 8lbs n hairy.

I’d grab a few bottles on the just incase boat, unless you’re very close to 24hour shops that sell them then obviously they’re available round the clock there.

Everyone’s lists are different but as long as they’ve got somewhere to sleep, something to eat and something to wear they’ll be fine.

hormonesorDHbeingadick Wed 11-Sep-19 16:53:51

I’m on my second baby this time round I love shnuggle bath and changing table. I still love my Uppababy Cruz and baby bjorn bouncy chair. I found angel care bath seat good too.

I have ditched the feeding pillow for a regular pillow. I’m still getting to grips with my sling.

Bellsofstclements Wed 11-Sep-19 17:42:53

Best buys:
Shnuggle bath
Perfect Prep & an electric steriliser
Video monitor
Sleeping bags

Worst buys:
Moses basket
Baby bouncer

debbiewest0 Wed 11-Sep-19 18:14:54

Definitely Sleeping bags are so much easier than blankets being kicked off everywhere.
A traditional top and tail bowl for washing so water for face and bottom kept separate and doesn’t spill.
A simple changing table often found on eBay/ Facebook etc was great for saving your back
And the feeding pillow went everywhere for me especially after an emergency section

We had a playmat with the dangly toys for putting baby under when you need a wee but not a playpen. Once babies were crawling we would use the travelcot as a pen with some toys in if you needed a babyfree moment!

Moomin8 Wed 11-Sep-19 18:29:48

Thanks for your recommendations! I have a Dream Genii pillow that I use for sleeping atm - anyone know if this is any good for breastfeeding or should I get one of the others mentioned?

I've been buying baby grows off eBay - good bargains on there. I'm hoping to get a Next2Me crib.

Newyearsameoldshit Wed 11-Sep-19 20:49:19

I absolutely loved the Next2me.
Got a lot of use out of my baby carriers (Close Caboo for tiny then Connecta from about 4 months) If you can learn to feed baby in one it's a pretty handy trick.

Only thing I didn't really use was 'proper' clothes for very young age given by relatives - too much faff when they are tiny and floppy!

Harrysmummy246 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:58:54

Muslins, loads of them.

Melrose86 Wed 11-Sep-19 22:49:53

I was so glad I was given a moses basket and didn't buy one as my baby outgrew it by the time he was about 8 weeks! I was lucky I was also given a crib which was much better x

HeroicAlien Wed 11-Sep-19 23:00:10

Nappy bin and bath support - a kind of reclining seat he could lie back in. Neither one is exciting, but hugely useful!

applesauce1 Wed 11-Sep-19 23:07:03

Best:
Amazon Alexa- have them all over the house. Can be completely hands free to make shopping list, check weather so I dress baby appropriately, read me the news headlines during morning feed, play baby music, play podcasts, play trivial pursuit, make phone calls. I hate being on my phone around the baby so I just think these things are marvellous.

IKEA Leka baby gym. Had an expensive circular baby gym mat that he hated. Still loves the LEKA at 9mo and uses it to stand against.

Velcro swaddles

Worst:
Nose Freida Sucker. Doesn't work with a wet nose and the crusty nose things are easier to get with fingers. Waste of money.

pilchy Wed 11-Sep-19 23:14:31

I got an £8 nursing pillow from Asda and it is the best thing I have ever found! Me and DD find it so comfy for breastfeeding, she is now 11 weeks and still so easy!
I accidentally left it 4 hours away when visiting family confused went straight to Asda the next morning and got another haha

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »