Talk

Advanced search

Mobile Phone 6 year old

(13 Posts)
cosmicbabe Tue 10-Sep-19 22:45:33

My Ex bought our son whom is 6 a brand new iPhone at the weekend. Didn't discuss this with me at all. He only sees our son 4 nights a month and said he wants to be able to contact our son whenever he wants via his own mobile and not have to go though mine. There are no contact issues going through me.

I have stated that a 6 year old is too young for a mobile phone but however I will allow him to switch it on twice every week for contact. This hasn't gone down well at all and now I'm being abused by my ex stating I'm stopping him having a relationship with his son by not allowing him access to his mobile phone!!!

Am I being unreasonable here or justified as it's my house and my rules!!? My son couldn't really care less about using the phone to actually make contact with his dad in anyway but there you go.... I believe it's a control and emotional manipulative tactic by my ex.

Thanks x

Wildorchidz Tue 10-Sep-19 22:48:32

I’d put the phone away and forget to charge it.

Wolfiefan Tue 10-Sep-19 22:51:15

Well he can’t take the phone to school, can’t have it in his room at night, it can’t be at the dinner table or on when he’s doing g HW. So maybe he gets it for half an hour a day (if you remember!)
Ex is being an arse!

RaininSummer Tue 10-Sep-19 22:53:41

As above... Make it available for a set time every day (maybe) when you are nearby and only allow it to be used for child to speak with ex.

RaininSummer Tue 10-Sep-19 22:54:39

Or even better, let child have it, drop it in deep puddle cos , after all, they are only 6! What a muppet.

notso Tue 10-Sep-19 23:11:41

I'd just leave it in one spot in the house and treat it like a landline between your son and his Dad.

Barbel Tue 10-Sep-19 23:12:52

6!
Dad's being a dick

GaraMedouar Tue 10-Sep-19 23:22:52

Too young. Only let it be switched on for pre-arranged phone calls. My exP knows what I think about mobiles - if he bought one for DD I would just hand it back and say she’s not having one until age 10 earliest.

cosmicbabe Wed 11-Sep-19 09:32:57

Thanks everyone. He's been texting me saying I'm stopping him from having a relationship with his son and the truth will come out lol! It's unbelievable! X

Figgygal Wed 11-Sep-19 09:35:29

He's a total idiot firstly for giving a six-year-old a phone and secondly for his attitude towards you

I agree with other switch it on at pre-approve time if he needs to contact him or he can contact him through you which is what's been happening until now

Fridakahlofan Wed 11-Sep-19 09:37:41

Way too young. Your ex is an arse!

DidYeAyee Wed 11-Sep-19 09:38:36

I'd hand it back and say he's not allowed to have it at your house.

If Ex feels differently he can use it at his house, which will render it pointless anyway.

HappyParent2000 Wed 11-Sep-19 09:38:57

Have you installed Pokémon Go?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »