Talk

Advanced search

FTM Formula Feeding Advice

(4 Posts)
milly2000 Tue 10-Sep-19 18:14:55

I have a 4 week old son who has reflux and we have been using the prefect prep machine, it's quick and easy but it's putting a lot of air bubbles in the milk so I'm going to stop using it for a while in the hope of giving him even the smallest amount of relief.

In the day it's easy enough for me to boil the kettle and cool under the tap. However at night that wouldn't be ideal. Can I make 3 bottle and put them straight in the fridge and heat them up in a bowl of hot water for the night feeds?

Any formula feeding advice would be great. I'm trying to reduce the amount of shaking I'm doing to the bottles or at least giving them time to rest for 10 minutes to help reduce the bubbles in the milk.

ThePolishWombat Tue 10-Sep-19 18:20:50

You shouldn’t pre-make formula and store it according to NHS guidelines.
But you can do what your perfect prep machine does without using the machine! So say you are making a 4oz feed for example:
- Well before you head up to bed, boil your kettle, full a jug/cup/bottle with the water, leave it to cool and then pop it in the fridge.
- When baby wants a free, boil your kettle and put an ounce of hot water into the bottle.
- Add your 4oz worth of powder and swirl or shake it to mix it in with the hot water.
- Add a further 3oz of water from the jug you put in the fridge earlier smile

Same as how the machine does it

Propertyofhood Tue 10-Sep-19 18:26:05

The WHO says it's fine to make enough formula for 24 hours and store it in the back of the fridge, as long as you have access to clean water (which you do) and a proper fridge (which, presumably, you do).

Making it like the perfect prep does involves separate measuring of powder and water, as you can't just rely on using the measures on the side of the bottle as they get distorted once the powder is added etc.

hormonesorDHbeingadick Tue 10-Sep-19 19:09:01

It’s fine to make up the bottles and store in the fridge. Try and swirl the formula rather than shaking.

Which bottles are you using?
When you say reflux what do you mean?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »