Talk

Advanced search

How can a child be addicted to TV at 16 months?

(7 Posts)
Heather041985 Tue 10-Sep-19 17:12:19

So I was round at a family members house that I dont often see the other day and she turned peppa pig on, well her child instantly stopped what he wss doing and just stared at the tv for 10 mins then for the next half hour that it was on he pretty much watched it and didnt do much else. He also doesnt play very much like other children but from what ive heard through the grapevine (so not personally witnessed) she doesnt interact with him when playing, he even has his own tablet!. Could it be he just gets shoved in front of a tv all day instead of being parented? Should I be worried?

msmith501 Tue 10-Sep-19 17:15:35

I guess you'll get a variety of replies from - yes be worried as he's missing social interaction etc vs all parents need a bit of down time. I know a lad whose mum did and still does the same. He has no idea how to play with other kids (he's 9) without falling out and storming off, his speech is impaired - not an impediment just a very narrow vocabulary including swear words and having to explode a lot, and he is demanding attention by being naughty all the time as that seems the only way to get noticed. Personally I think it's crap but then I'm old.

riotlady Wed 11-Sep-19 21:03:10

It’s really hard to judge based on 30 mins of observation and what you’ve heard on “the grapevine”. He could be abandoned to screens all day and never played with or he could have a healthy balance of some screen time with lots of interaction, impossible to say. Even if it’s the former, there’s not really much you can do about it

sadlycindy Thu 12-Sep-19 13:53:24

I personally think you are being a bit unfairly judgemental here. My DS is 17 months old and loves the tv. If a tv show is on he likes e.g. In The Night Garden he will stop what he's doing and just stare at the tv until it is done. This is not because all I do is stick him in front of the tv. He just loves the tv. If he sees it, he will go and get the remote and put it on himself. It's the only way I get to have a shower. I put tv on then I have a shower by watching him in the baby monitor on my phone.

He is very social, knows lots of words, plays independently and very curious about the world. He just loves tv. I only let him watch 1-2 episodes of something a day. I would be heartbroken if I thought a friend or family member was saying this about me and my son.

sadlycindy Thu 12-Sep-19 13:53:58

And why should you be worried? It's not your child.

CroissantsAtDawn Thu 12-Sep-19 13:58:56

At any age, you could put the TV on and DS1 would stop what he was/is doing and stare at it (aka watch it).

At any age, you could put the TV on and DS2 would glance at it, then carry on with playing. Then watch for a few minutes, then go off and do something else.

DS1 likes watching TV that is all. I hasn't impacted his social skills or vocabulary and we don't have it on all day by any means (30 minutes in the morning and an hour or so in the evening).

ShippingNews Thu 12-Sep-19 14:02:58

My DD was just the same as a baby. She could be doing anything , but if the TV came on with her favorite show, she'd stop in her tracks, toddle to the TV and sit engrossed for the length of the show. She wasn't addicted to TV, it just had that effect when her favorites were on. It's nothing to worry about.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »