Talk

Advanced search

Should I tell my partner about surprise holiday?

(6 Posts)
Pantana90 Tue 10-Sep-19 12:58:25

My partner and our 9-month-old son are currently on a three-week holiday in Florida. I didn't go with them.
Basically it's my girlfriend's family holiday, and I went two years ago with them. I didn't get along with some members of her family and I really didn't enjoy it. I asked her if she could just go for 10 days so I wouldn't be apart from them for too long, but she said she was going for the full 3 weeks. I was offered to go by her but the thought of going on a holiday where I (aged 30) and my gf (aged 33) are told what we can and can't do wasn't appealing.

They left about a week ago and I am really missing them. I thought I'd enjoy some me time but it's boring and 3 weeks is a long time to be away from your baby son! So much so that I have just booked (at great expense) to head out to them for just five days from this Saturday. Should I tell her about this, or go ahead with my plan to just randomly show up as a big surprise? I think she'll be happy either way.

I am a bit concerned about what her family will think because I would be staying with them, but it is my son I am really there to see and I can't be told to do anything regarding him apart from by my partner.

Any advice appreciated!

Knittedfairies Tue 10-Sep-19 13:10:12

If you're staying with your girlfriend's family, I don't think you should just turn up as a surprise. How would you feel if one (or more) of them turned up to surprise you while you were on holiday?

CodenameVillanelle Tue 10-Sep-19 13:11:15

Tell her for goodness sake. You should have discussed it before you booked it!

Floralnomad Tue 10-Sep-19 13:13:58

If you are planning on staying with them then you definitely need to tell them . I’d also be a bit concerned about a 33 yr old who would rather go on a family holiday than a holiday with her partner and baby .

Namechangeforthiscancershit Tue 10-Sep-19 13:18:03

If you're staying with the family you need to warn them.

Whether to tell GF or not depends. I personally HATE surprises but I'm very boring like that!

Aria999 Wed 11-Sep-19 05:51:02

Tell them. So much could go wrong if you don't.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »