Talk

Advanced search

Leaving my 8 year old for half an hour

(83 Posts)
Kirsttm32 Mon 02-Sep-19 22:36:01

Hi, I need some advice. My partner is starting a new job next week with later finishes. I work shifts. I've been going over our rosters and theres going to be a few days a month (at most ) where I have to leave home by 18.40 and my partner will not finish until 18.30( guaranteed finish) with a 30 minute commute. My daughter is 8 in her final year at lower school. She likes to think shes 8 going on 18. Question is are we awful parents if we ask her If she would be comfortable staying in the house for those 20- 30 mins alone. Does anyone do this already and if so has it gone ok ? T.i.a

Overseasmom100 Mon 02-Sep-19 22:40:05

I would not leave an 8 year old on their own

Landlubber2019 Mon 02-Sep-19 22:40:54

Personally I wouldn't, you obviously know your daughter but I know my kids would not be happy to be left alone for 30 mins plus and they wouldn't know how to react in an emergency.

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Mon 02-Sep-19 22:41:54

Nope. Too young. Can you bring her on the commute with you and he collects on the way?

Mrskeats Mon 02-Sep-19 22:42:25

Are you serious?

MaximusHeadroom Mon 02-Sep-19 22:43:30

We don't live in the UK and it is really normal here to leave an 8 year old for an hour at home. It totally depends on your child and how comfortable you and she are about it.

Make sure she knows the rules and what to do in an emergency and can contact you.

HarryRug Mon 02-Sep-19 22:43:37

8 is too young. People get delayed in traffic or on trains etc so unless your partner walks home it may not be 20-30 minutes. If it is a few times a month could you leave DC with a neighbour for that short time until DC is older?

Buddyelf Mon 02-Sep-19 22:43:54

Big no from me. My DD is 8 and as sensible and well behaved as she is I would never leave her home alone. She’s too young.

Tempjob Mon 02-Sep-19 22:44:03

I see your predicament. If no other solution, I would leave a mature 8 year old alone for 30 mins as long as they had a way to get out the house in an emergency and were under instructions not to touch the oven / toaster etc. I know this is not a popular opinion but I would trust my own 8 year old if our circumstances were the same.

titchy Mon 02-Sep-19 22:44:06

Find a teenage babysitter for half an hour.

MyDcAreMarvel Mon 02-Sep-19 22:44:47

At 9 1/2 I would and have ,but not 8.

Winterlife Mon 02-Sep-19 22:45:20

My daughter was mature enough at 8 to be home alone but I would not have left her alone, particularly on an ongoing basis.

Can you hire a local teen and pay him/her for an hour to stay with her?

MrsBlondie Mon 02-Sep-19 22:46:15

No way. Not left alone til age 11 here. Im fairly laid back but not on this one.

CodenameVillanelle Mon 02-Sep-19 22:47:12

I have left mine at home since age 8 for short periods but I wouldn't have gone further than the town centre where we live. I have recently started allowing him to come home before I get back from work so I'm not in the same town and he's almost 11. It's just too young for you both to be completely out of reach in case you need to get back quickly.

1moreRep Mon 02-Sep-19 22:47:36

you need to be sure she knows what to do in an emergency, and how to contact people etc.

30 mins is not long butlong enough for her to cook, answer the door, choke, etc etc

Firstimemam Mon 02-Sep-19 22:48:00

I know it's too young now but it was completely normal in the 90s to leave me when my mum went out food shopping and I didn't want to come - TV on or I remember wearing my mums shoes and her clothes and her make up when she came back 😂😂 maybe my parents were just crazy - I don't know!!!

CherryBathBomb Mon 02-Sep-19 22:48:55

Id say too young,maybe at age 11.

TokyoSushi Mon 02-Sep-19 22:51:38

DS is a very sensible 8 and would actually be fine, but I wouldn't do it.

They're still too young to cope with anything out of the ordinary and it will be dark at that time soon enough.

Ontheboardwalk Mon 02-Sep-19 22:52:49

Too young I think especially every day you are working. I was left alone from 11 only on a few occasions every month with my older brother or next door neighbour on point

Ontheboardwalk Mon 02-Sep-19 22:53:55

Sorry just seen few times a month not every week. I still think 8 is too young

MrsDimmond Mon 02-Sep-19 22:54:40

It's not so much the time as the circumstances.

A half hour commute is quite a distance and there is always the possibility of delays.

Soon it will be dark at that time too.

Quite different to leaving her to pop to the local shop or walk the dog during the day.

Workinghardeveryday Mon 02-Sep-19 22:56:07

Isn’t it against the law anyway!!! My twins are 8 and a half, very sensible, no way would I even consider it!!! Wtaf!!!

Summersunshine2 Mon 02-Sep-19 22:56:27

Do you have a neighbour who could be on call in case of emergencies?

CodenameVillanelle Mon 02-Sep-19 22:57:32

Isn’t it against the law anyway!!!

No

Dutch1e Mon 02-Sep-19 23:01:06

I would, yes. You'll no doubt train her in the rules and contingency plans, and responsibility has to begin at some point.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »