Talk

Advanced search

Parenting parking bays Rant?!

(74 Posts)
LittleDidIKnowThen Sat 31-Aug-19 17:51:03

I have recently had a baby and I’ve suddenly noticed the amount of people using parenting bays who think it’s okay as they have a car seat in their car with no baby shock well today I struggled to get a parenting bay as there isn’t many so I had to park across the other side of the car park so the chances of somebody parking next to me are slim as I have to get a car seat out.

I noticed a lady use a parenting bay with her son who was around 10-12. Am I wrong to be annoyed?

Why couldn’t he get out of the car in a normal bay?

Tell me your thoughts maybe I’m wrong confused

PurpleDaisies Sat 31-Aug-19 18:39:34

You might want to look at other threads where this issue has come up. There are a LOT of them.

DENMAN03 Sat 31-Aug-19 18:40:10

How do you cope where there are only normal spaces?

MmmBlowholes Sat 31-Aug-19 18:40:16

Mumsnet: a place where you're an idiot for hoping people use facilities made for them and that people don't abuse them.

Also mumsnet: what? A transwoman in MY TOILETS?!?!?!

june2007 Sat 31-Aug-19 18:44:44

Consenses is can be used to child s 12, but not a legal thing anyway.

PurpleDaisies Sat 31-Aug-19 18:47:41

It depends on the car park. There are signs.

LaMarschallin Sat 31-Aug-19 18:55:59

Triggering warning

I've been attending therapy for many years because I had my children before there were parenting spaces!
I'm sorry you have to hear something so disgusting but I'd park my car (or "horseless carriage" as they were called in the Dark Ages) in the carpark of the supermarket (or "shopping emporium") and get my children out and go shopping.

You tell that to young people of today and they'd never believe you.

Flamingo84 Sat 31-Aug-19 18:56:48

I’m with you OP. It’s not the closeness to the shops that make them useful it’s the wider space. I wouldn’t care if they were at the furthest point away from the entrance.

Trying to get a car seat that clips into the pushchair out of the door with a heavy baby in when you can’t open the door wide enough is a PITA. Getting any child that’s not able to climb down alone out of the car with the door not fully open is awkward. Even worse when you get back to your car and someone has parked an inch away from the door.

They’re offered as a convenience and I don’t expect them wherever I go. But if they have them and people without their kids park in them it is annoying. Also I have a disability that hinders my mobility but I’ve never requested a blue badge. If I have a day where I can walk, I’ll just do it, if not I have to stay home. I don’t expect the world to work around me or my PFB.

Rubicon80 Sat 31-Aug-19 19:10:33

Also I have a disability that hinders my mobility but I’ve never requested a blue badge. If I have a day where I can walk, I’ll just do it, if not I have to stay home. I don’t expect the world to work around me or my PFB.

you would rather stay at home than request a blue badge to which you are entitled, and yet you you object to people using parent and child parking spaces?that's just... very strange

modgepodge Sat 31-Aug-19 19:28:04

The 12 year old could have had diabetes, or been disabled. But they probably weren’t, let’s be honest.

Yes, it is possible to park in non parent and child spaces with a baby. But it does make it easier, and agree it’s annoying when they are taken by people for whom they aren’t intended. I’d never say anything, in case the person had a genuine reason for using it. But I have had to park in a busy car park in the only space available (not all are empty with a space far away from the shop to give extra room to open doors), struggle to get baby out (not cos I can’t park but because cars either side were fairly close ) and built my pram in the bit where cars are driving past. Not ideal...a first world problem for sure but still, I’d be frustrated if I’d done that and a P&C space had been used by someone who was simply feeling a bit lazy 🤷‍♀️

OrchidInTheSun Sat 31-Aug-19 19:31:55

Mmmblowholes:
'Mumsnet: a place where you're an idiot for hoping people use facilities made for them and that people don't abuse them.

Also mumsnet: what? A transwoman in MY TOILETS?!?!?!'

Those two positions appear to be entirely consistent. Are you implying they aren't?

WhoKnewBeefStew Sat 31-Aug-19 19:35:48

Yes you are wrong to be annoyed.... just because you have a child doesn't mean you should get preferential treatment in the car park.. if you can't cope with push chairs or child seats when parking next to other cars, park further away and walk.

Personally I'd like all PAC spaces removed and I'd rather see more blue badge ones in their place

Lofari Sat 31-Aug-19 19:37:48

People can't win either way. We have a blue badge for our son, and each time we park in disabled bays people stare. I actually heard a woman mutter today 'which one of those has a bloody disability?'
Come and ask me love........my 4 year old has muscular dystrophy.

HotChocolateLover Sat 31-Aug-19 19:38:48

You need to get over it OP. Nothing you can do about it.

LaMarschallin Sat 31-Aug-19 19:44:25

But I have had to park in a busy car park in the only space available (not all are empty with a space far away from the shop to give extra room to open doors), struggle to get baby out (not cos I can’t park but because cars either side were fairly close ) and built my pram in the bit where cars are driving past.

Well, it just goes to show that the olden days weren't all bad.

You could get a ready-built pram (we called it a "perambulator" then) or a "pushchair" that you could give a quick kick to unfold, stick your baby in it and be off.
And get your week's shopping for 10 people for a farthing.
With 2 groats in change!

Happy days.

thunderthighsohwoe Sat 31-Aug-19 19:47:50

Aren’t the whole point of parent and child bays not to make it easier for the parent, but to avoid adjacent cars being reduced to scrap metal when you are attempting to wrestle a baby seat/wriggling toddler/tantruming preschooler out? They’re certainly not closer to the entrance in any of the stores in our nearest town.

Re babies not being in car seats for too long, well I was in the early days very guilty of this. Forgive me, but if my stitches were killing me and the baby FINALLY fell asleep in the car on the ten minute journey to the shop, I had no intention whatsobloody ever of waking said baby up just to nip into the shop for painkillers.

Jesse70 Sat 31-Aug-19 19:55:08

My dad's car was hit by a door because some young kids threw the door open in a normal space so I think they should make all spaces slightly bigger especially when u have a bigger vehicle/van or at least have bays for big ass vans because they are not catered for at all and if u park at the other end of the carpark some fuckers still park next to u lol

Stapelberg Sat 31-Aug-19 21:34:26

OP in with you on this one. It's rediculous. The bays may not be a legal right but they're there for a reason - to make getting babies and toddlers and young children in and out of cars easier. If not, why bother having them at all? It really gets on my nerves when I see people wothout car seats and no kids use these. Maybe you don't like taking your baby out of the car in a car seat, but OP does and that's her right. People moan about much less trivial stiff on here so let the poor parent have her say without getting rude. Nobody says you have to do what OP is doing. I agree OP, these spaces make life w a small person just so much more convenient...

Rubicon80 Sat 31-Aug-19 21:40:50

@LaMarschallin

I don't hold with these new-fangled horseless carriages. I just walk. I have these funny archaic attachments called 'legs' which propel me from A to B, and these other odd protuberances called 'hands' that allow me to push the perambulator AND carry my provisions. Yee-har!

LaMarschallin Sat 31-Aug-19 21:57:06

@Rubicon80

Those sound wonderful!
I'm going to buy me some.

Well, as soon as I can get out of the old jalopy. I've been stuck in this non-parenting parking space for some time and, naturally, haven't been able to get out of the car with baby LaMarschallin.

Mind you, she's nearly 22 years old now so soon may able to yell for help.

NannaNoodleman Sat 31-Aug-19 22:05:30

This HAS been done to death but...

I don't think people's issue is that you can't use a normal bay with a child it's that these super convenient bags have been installed and are being hijacked by lazy bastards who use them to perpetuate their idleness.

The P&C bags were wonderful when mine were babies as they were so convenient and made life slightly nicer when you're postpartum (small things, eh). I could easily use the normal bays and had to on many occasions. That's all fine but it pissed me right off when I saw able-idle people using them to nip in quickly on their lunch break!

Oh... and my parents didn't have the same car park struggle because they had local shops which they could walk to and when they had us in a car they didn't have to strap us into car seats, they'd let us roll around on something barely more than a bench.

FairyDust92 Sat 31-Aug-19 22:22:01

YABU what's everyone's obsession over these spaces if you can't use a normal space maybe you shouldn't drive

The whole point of these spaces are that they are bigger either side to be able to get your children in/out.. in most normal spaces people don't usually park well and its becomes harder to open the door to get the baby or car seat out! We recently had this and had to move the car forward to get the baby in! Not a safe thing to do really is it!

I also hate it when people park in the spaces without a child OP!

FairyDust92 Sat 31-Aug-19 22:22:57

Oops was meant to make the first bit bold

YABU what's everyone's obsession over these spaces if you can't use a normal space maybe you shouldn't drive*

Toddlerteaplease Sat 31-Aug-19 22:24:19

I was wondering the other week if I could park in a parent and child bay as I was with my dad and I'm his child! wink

Wereeaglesdare Sat 31-Aug-19 22:25:10

Omg all these people giving the OP a hard time the bloody spaces are designed for mums and babies. At 12 unless disability I would think you would be capable of opening a door without slamming it in to the other door.

OP it actually makes me fume too especially when the children are actually 18 or when lazy people just want to run in. Why shouldn't we make use of the one perk of having a baby and doing a shop hey! Everything else is so fucking difficult to get out or the house and do. So just give us this one bloody necessary perk will you!!
That's what there fucking designed for.

Some man tried to have a go at me when I was 9 months pregnant for parking there when in fact they are actually for expectant mums also. States asda anyway. I fear in my hormonal state I may have embarrassed him across the car park when he said there actually for parents n children love. I said well I'm actually 9 months pregnant love. He became rather red faced and apologised alot. and yes I found it hard to squeeze my bump in and out the car. So obviously we are not the only ones who get wound up about this.

It's hard to get a baby in and out of a car when everyone drives massive bloody cars nowadays.

Flamingo84 Sat 31-Aug-19 23:05:18

@Rubicon80 I didn’t say anywhere in my post that I objected to them using the spaces. I said they’re convenient and that it’s annoying when they’re sometimes used by people without their kids.

Also I know my disability, you don’t. 70% of the time I’m fine to walk, why should I get preferential treatment? I’d feel like an imposter using a disabled bay, I’ve seen enough threads about people with invisible illnesses being confronted outside disabled toilets!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »