Talk

Advanced search

Baby grabbing at ears

(7 Posts)
Lucylou321 Tue 28-May-19 22:05:25

I have a 5 month old who keeps grabbing at her ears as if she's in pain. Health visitor said it could be teething as she also has very red cheeks a lot of the time at the moment but it seems to come on really suddenly and she normally screams as if she's in agony. She also does it when I pick her up out of the cot/car seat etc she puts both her hands to each ear as I lift her up. She also won't feed off one side anymore (BF), it's almost like it hurts her if I hold her on one side. We've also been hit hard by the 4 month sleep regression which started at 3 months and has never improved. She went from sleeping through to not sleeping more than 2 hours at best. She wakes up suddenly and immediately screams and throws her arms about as if something's hurting.

I took her to the doctor when I first noticed it and he had a quick look in her ears and said they were fine, despite the fact she screamed the whole time we were there and I was trying to explain to him that she's not sleeping or feeding very well and is clearly in pain he said he didn't think anything was wrong and sent us on our way.

A week later and after an evening of her screaming in agony and clearly had a temperature I took her to the out of hours doctor who said she had an ear infection and gave a week of antibiotics.
They didn't appear to make any difference and she's still repeatedly grabbing at her ears and is clearly in pain.

Would teething really cause her this much of an issue? Or do I need to go back to the doctor a third time? I can live with the lack of sleep and the crying but I hate seeing her so upset and in pain. I've had to start giving formula because she won't feed on one side and it's affected my milk supplysad

SeaToSki Wed 29-May-19 01:46:06

Go straight back to the doctor, she was diagnosed with an ear infection and the antibiotics arent clearing it. She may need a different type as some bacteria are not killed my some antibiotics, so you have to get the correct match.

Chippychipsforme Wed 29-May-19 08:36:10

Back to the doctor's asap. Hope it clears up soon OP.

Spanglyprincess1 Wed 29-May-19 08:38:31

My baby gets ear ache from teething. Back to doctors I'm afraid. Hes had it for each tooth that came through.
Good luck and I hope baby feels better

Pinkvoid Wed 29-May-19 10:18:20

Teething or tiredness. Mine have all done this when tired and my DM said I always did at that age too.

mclady Wed 29-May-19 10:24:53

I can recall at least three occasions when my son has complained of ear pain and the doctor has been able to see nothing wrong then just hours later, there's crap pouring out of his ear and he's screaming in agony so off to out of hours we go for them to confirm it's infected and needs antibiotics.

I can only assume that the pain is present before any visible redness/swelling.

Noto Tue 07-Apr-20 21:13:05

Hi @Lucylou321 - sorry to follow up so much later but how did you solve this? I can’t across this as I’m experiencing the same - pain and ear pulling, plus refusal to breastfeed, particularly off one side!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »