Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you put your six month old in a pushchair that has had mice in?

(39 Posts)
TheChamberofCarrots Fri 20-Jul-07 20:28:04

I'm going to a wedding tomorrow so dug out DD's old pushchair that was only used for a month or so, it folds easily in the car and I'm getting a lift from a friend. When I unfolded it there were a few droppings, we had mice just before christmas and this had been at the back of the cupboard.

Dh wants me to clean it rather than getting a new one so I've put the cosytoes through a boil wash and scrubbed the rest of the material with boiling water and tea tree oil. I still don't feel that comfortable about it. Am I mad for putting him in it or mad for chucking it out?

EscapeFrom Fri 20-Jul-07 20:30:52

Mad for chucking it - it's been washed.

moondog Fri 20-Jul-07 20:31:49

Don't chuck it for God's sake.

Do you eat food out of cans?
Rats scamper all over them and piss and shit on the mtoo.

madmarchhare Fri 20-Jul-07 20:32:07

It will be fine

Desiderata Fri 20-Jul-07 20:32:23

Yeah, it'll be fine. It's only mouse droppings. It would take dinosaur shit before I'd consider buying a new one!

Wisteria Fri 20-Jul-07 20:34:04

it'll be fine, don't be daft!

TheChamberofCarrots Fri 20-Jul-07 20:34:13

at dinosaur shit!

Dh has said we are NOT buying a new one, I just feel weird about it in case salmonella lurks in the corners despite my scrubbing. My hands are red raw now.

Wisteria Fri 20-Jul-07 20:34:35

Dino shit wouldn't bother me at Desi!

Wisteria Fri 20-Jul-07 20:34:52

*all

Wisteria Fri 20-Jul-07 20:36:01

last time I checked chamber - mice didn't carry bubonic plague - oh and they're everywhere anyway, you just don't normally see the evidence!

TheChamberofCarrots Fri 20-Jul-07 20:37:28

I thought they carried salmonella in their urine?

EscapeFrom Fri 20-Jul-07 20:43:37

Spray with antibac - solved.

Wisteria Fri 20-Jul-07 20:44:56

do they?? If that's the case then letting dcs play in the garden could be dangerous too surely?

TheChamberofCarrots Fri 20-Jul-07 20:49:22

yes, but it's a bit more direct in the buggy, there ARE droppings so they must have weed too?
I felt sick when we had mice and cleaned everything even tins God I sound like I have issues don't I

I don't want to use anti bacterial stuff on it as it's so strong and he's very wheezy.

Wisteria Fri 20-Jul-07 20:54:17

Well we're all different, that's for sure - but really, half the time you wouldn't be aware of where mice have or haven't been. We lived on a farm when I was younger so I have a much more relaxed attitude to things like that. I have never caught salmonella from anything except undercooked chicken in France....
You would be horrified at the things I have seen in restaurants and food factories over the years too but I'll not ruin every night out you have for the next 10 years

DarrellRivers Fri 20-Jul-07 20:55:43

put 'em in it

SSSandy2 Fri 20-Jul-07 20:57:39

couldn't you just borrow one from someone else if you're uncomfortable using this one?

TheChamberofCarrots Fri 20-Jul-07 20:58:59

No, please don't, I don't need any more fuel for germ concern!!

Well, the consensus seems to be keep it, thanks for advice. I'll have a stern word with myself regarding neuroses.

<shudder>

Liska Fri 20-Jul-07 21:00:17

I would just go crazy with some Milton. I believe it is like holy water, and anything it touches is rendered baby/kiddie safe instantly

TheChamberofCarrots Fri 20-Jul-07 21:00:39

SSSsandy- I could borrow one for tommorow but I'll still need to keep it or bin it for further use like camping in a couple of weeks.

mumofSlytherinsmonsters Fri 20-Jul-07 21:03:55

i would use it after washing yes. They constantly wee apparently so if there are droppings there is also wee (we had mice in the kitchen). If its been washed i would reuse, if i was a bit anxious i would put a cover over it like a blanket or something

SSSandy2 Fri 20-Jul-07 21:04:40

borrow one for tomorrow for peace of mind and then think about it next week. Couldn't you just buy a new (what are they called) - carrier thing to put it in so where the baby lies is new but keep the frame?

TheChamberofCarrots Fri 20-Jul-07 21:05:07

Hadn't thought of milton, I suppose that would be ok if people put baby's bottles in it. I think I only have weird Zovira disinfectant.

EscapeFrom Fri 20-Jul-07 21:07:36

BE CAREFUL with milton, it is a sort of bleach, and I have wrecked more than one top with the blasted stuff.

TheChamberofCarrots Fri 20-Jul-07 21:08:47

<retch> at constant weeing. Urrgh.

The material on this is sewn on, I don't think it can be replaced. The cosy toes has been boiled though, he could sit in that tomorrow. The weather looks crap anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now