Talk

Advanced search

School of ballet : Is it expensive ?

(12 Posts)
quiveutmabonnebaguette Sun 15-Jul-07 08:19:51

My dd who is 3 years old who like to join our local school of ballet...I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if they still have places...I'm just wondering, is it going to be expensive ? Anyone could tell me so I dont seem surprised on the phone tomorrow ! Many thanks !!!

werty111 Sun 15-Jul-07 08:20:55

MINE IS £2 A HALF HOUR SESSION. 15 MIN BALLET, 15 MIN TAP

quiveutmabonnebaguette Sun 15-Jul-07 08:25:43

Really ?? I dont know why I have always imagined that it must be an expansive sport...it's maybe the kit which is expansive no ?

werty111 Sun 15-Jul-07 08:30:12

My daughters tap & ballet shoes cost £15 together and her dress was £10.
She has done6 shows this year and i had to buy the fancy dress to wear to the shows and that cost £8, same dress for all the shows!
My dd is 2.10 and loves it

quiveutmabonnebaguette Sun 15-Jul-07 08:33:15

OMG !!! I'm getting exited now !! It really came as a big surprise to me that she wants to do ballet...I really hope it's not too late to apply for a place..thank you for your answer...For your dd, did you have to apply long time in advance ? It must be really popular.

cece Sun 15-Jul-07 08:53:16

It isn't too bad at 3 but my DD is now 6 and has just done her Primary exam.

£50 per term for lessons.

£4 per lesson for (extra) Sat classes for 6 weeks prior to exam

£2 to hire exam uniform

£30 to enter exam

£10 for exam ballet shoes

plus ballet socks which she already had

approx £5 for all the bits and bobs to do her hair

DH was not happy

BTW DD loves it

cece Sun 15-Jul-07 08:54:35

oh and next year she needs the character skirt and shoes, which are about £35 ish I think, as well as a new class uniform (different colour for Grade 1) and ballet shoes as she grows out of her current ones.

Haven't told DH yet!

quiveutmabonnebaguette Sun 15-Jul-07 09:15:09

your DH is going to be a bit grumpy I think !! ...I'm getting really exited over it now, please let's hope it's not to late to apply !!!!!!!

ComeOVeneer Sun 15-Jul-07 09:19:36

DD's class coss £75 per term, the uniform was about £30 (leotard, skirt, socks and shoes).

ComeOVeneer Sun 15-Jul-07 09:20:28

coss = costs

quiveutmabonnebaguette Sun 15-Jul-07 09:24:01

I guess the price depends on where you live...we are in South west london so I expect it's not going to come cheap.

islandofsodor Sun 15-Jul-07 13:31:35

It can be misleading. Ballet usually starts off cheap though I am a beleiver in you get what you pay for.

Classes typically cost around £3 for 30 mons to around £5 for 45 mins. Then there is the uniform and exam fees as already mentioned. If you do a 30 min class then you will more than likely need extra coaching for exams.

Once past a certain grade you will be encouraged to take tap/modern/jazz. Again, new kit and exam fees. it is not untypical for a child who has carried on til around age 10 or so to be taking around 2 hours of lessons per week plus extra coaching for exams.

Then if your child wants to take part in the annual recitals there are rehearsals for that (charged for). You will usually have to buy costumes which depending on how many dances your child is in will typically be around £20-£40 per costume. Then tickets average around here is £5, more for the schools that hire professional theatres.

I'm thinking of changing my dd to a school that has longer and more expensive weekly lessons (a jump from £2 per week to £5 per week) but does all exam coaching/recital rehearsals in normal lesson time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now