Talk

Advanced search

Would you take your four year old to see Harry Potter?

(62 Posts)
OrangeElephant Thu 12-Jul-07 11:44:35

A friend of mine has said she is taking her 4 year old, pre-school ds to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix this weekend (Cert 12A). I was at this as I think it is way too young. Am I completely out of touch? - would never take my ds to see it (he is also 4).

CharleeWeasley Thu 12-Jul-07 11:45:09

no

Piffle Thu 12-Jul-07 11:46:34

no way this is the horror one. tis not for litte kids no way

Piffle Thu 12-Jul-07 11:46:35

no way this is the horror one. tis not for litte kids no way

Wisteria Thu 12-Jul-07 11:47:04

depends on the child to be honest, I would say the majority of them would be scared but my friend's son would have loved it at 4.

TheChamberofCarrots Thu 12-Jul-07 11:47:34

12A means you have to be 12 without an adult doesn't it? Depends on the child I guess, my ds would have loved it at four but dd would be terrified, though they have got progressively scarier.

damewashalot Thu 12-Jul-07 11:49:08

No, won't take my 8 yr old either but I am mean

PeachesMcLean Thu 12-Jul-07 11:50:49

No. Not cos it's scary per se but because it's too long and too much story for a 4 year old. I don't really think DS would enjoy it. And it's a 12, which does indicate it's not really appropriate (we had a bad experience taking our 6 year old to Spiderman (12) - he enjoyed it but we did cringe at him watching the violent bits ont eh big screen. I'd be Very careful before he sees a 12 again.)

TransfiguratingLily Thu 12-Jul-07 11:52:22

I won't be sending my 4 year old to the cinema but I'll probably let her see the dvd later when we are at home because she loves all the other movies and understands it's make believe.
I'm really looking forward to reading the books to her as bed time stories in the future.

bozza Thu 12-Jul-07 11:53:47

no

summerunderakaftan Thu 12-Jul-07 11:56:10

Would probably dpending on how I feel after I have seen it (and I can't wait by the way) would let dd (4 in 2 months) watch the dvd but wouldn't take her to the cinema. It is a bit grown up for her and she probably would find bits boring actually and become restless and that would spoil others enjoyment, a dvd at home is different because if she gets bored she can go play.

I also am a believer in the cert being there for a reason and there probably will be bits that are a bit scary and they can seem scarier in the cinema than at home.

dobbysayswoof Thu 12-Jul-07 11:56:25

No, I wouldn't. There was a little girl about 4 when I went to see Prisoner of Azkaban. She was by turns bored to tears and petrified. Especially the dementors. Poor wee soul.

Having said that, my dad let my dd (nearly 3) watch the Chamber of Secrets and apparently she loved it. Thanks grandpa!

HolidayboundHorsewoman Thu 12-Jul-07 11:57:55

No.

OrangeElephant Thu 12-Jul-07 11:59:01

I am glad its not just me then. I agree about the certificate being there for a reason - they dont just allocate them at random!

Nbg Thu 12-Jul-07 11:59:06

We let dd (nearly 4) watch the Philosophers Stone on Saturday when it was on ITV but I wouldnt let her see any of the others as they strated to get more hardcore after that

Plus she'd be bored witless.

MarsLady Thu 12-Jul-07 12:05:06

No!

MissGrissindor Thu 12-Jul-07 12:09:02

No.

My 3 year old cousin got to see the first Pirates of the Caribbean film when she was 3 though

FirenzeandZooey Thu 12-Jul-07 12:10:53

No and I think that anyone who does is barking.

WigWamBam Thu 12-Jul-07 12:16:11

No. Dd is 6, and I wouldn't take her.

Knowing that something is make-believe doesn't stop it being too frightening for her.

zephyrcat Thu 12-Jul-07 12:16:22

Absolutely no way.

RosaLuxembourg Thu 12-Jul-07 12:18:37

No - I am taking my DD1 and her friends for DD's 10th birthday treat - my 7 and 4 year old DD's are staying at home. No WAY would DD3 cope with seeing it.

MumOfSlytherinsMonsters Thu 12-Jul-07 12:21:57

its 12A isn't it? what does that translate to these days? i thought it was 12 years old wit han adult.

NOt a chance would i take my 4 year old. i wouldn't let him watch GOF and sesnsored POA until i knew he was ok with it!

StripeyBroomstickSpottyWand Thu 12-Jul-07 12:22:49

No. DD at 6 was a bit nervous watching the first one last weekend. They get scarier as they go on so no more for her for a few years.

katelyle Thu 12-Jul-07 12:25:54

No. It's 12A for a reason! Ditto the James Bond movies. This makes mo SO ANGRY!!!!!!!!

Wisteria Thu 12-Jul-07 12:55:37

The 12A cert just means that after 12 you can go in without an adult, before 12 your parents make the decision for you depending on what they feel is appropriate! So I don't understand you saying it's 12A for a reason!

Surely, as is obviously demonstrated here by the different viewpoints , all children are different, some will be entranced at 5 and watch it without a problem but I know a 12 yr old who can't watch the later films because she's too scared.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now