Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is it odd that dd1 has not yet been to the cinema? She is 4 and most of her friends go all the time

(29 Posts)
oliveoil Thu 05-Jul-07 09:26:11

It is just something that didn't occur to me to do tbh

Neither of them sit still long enough for a DVD (have watched the first 20 mins of Aladin about 99 times and then run off ) so will it be a waste of time?

dd1 is 4 and dd2 is nearly 3

And what is on?

Will it be too loud (maybe for dd1, hmmmm?)

Do you leave if they become fidgety?

FluffyMummy123 Thu 05-Jul-07 09:28:43

Message withdrawn

Issy Thu 05-Jul-07 09:29:44

No. DD1 is 6.5 and has never been. Given that the entire output of Disney (other than Aristocats), NumberJacks and 'Brum' are deemed 'scarey', I can't envisage a film she'd actually enjoy. Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that it would require me to accompany her and sit through some mind-numbing twaddle.

Anyway, why go the cinema when for half the price we can all have a bracing day in steaming Kagoules at the vintage bus rally at our local whacked-out country-side museum?

southeastastra Thu 05-Jul-07 09:30:57

haven't taken my ds(5) yet probably as there's nothing he's really wanted to see and that i can sit through as well.

i learnt my lesson with the pokemon movie.

Hulababy Thu 05-Jul-07 09:32:19

DD was 4 when she went to cinema for the first time, to see Chicken Little. In past year she's been about 3 times max. The noise and sitting still have not been a problem, and she never asks to go out to the toilet or anything. She will still happily at home watching foilms too and has done for ages.

We just never really get round to it though TBH.

oliveoil Thu 05-Jul-07 09:35:28

oh I won't bother then <crosses merrily off To Do List>

I think dd1 will moan about the noise/dark/seats anyway

and dd2 would run amok

am thinking of things to do with our 'summer' weather that do not involve ball pools

PandaG Thu 05-Jul-07 09:36:09

could say almost the same as Hula, except DD's first film was Cars. Going to the cinema is expensive, and I do see it as a big treat for the children, so we only go if there is something they really want to see. If she doesn't sit still through a film at home, I would wait a while to take her to the cinema tbh.

oliveoil Thu 05-Jul-07 09:38:23

the only thing they sit and watch at home is Wonder Pets or Something Special

sometimes Come Outside

anything else is ignored, they are not into tv

May I be smug?

maisemor Thu 05-Jul-07 09:39:41

Don't worry about it. My children aged 3 and almost 5 have never been either.

Shrek 3 is on at the moment. That might be a good one to start them on if they have seen the other two and liked them.

It is sometimes too loud for me in the cinema (but I am a sensitive wee soul ). I think you will need to take both adults in case one is enjoying it but the other one isn't.

I think you would need to leave if they become too fidgety so that you don't ruin the experience for the other children/adults.

ChippyMinton Thu 05-Jul-07 09:41:29

My DC have only been once or twice, to see Cars, which they adored (and were 2,3 & 4 at the time). Went to see Over the Hedge because it was a rainy day in a caravan as the alternative, and they hated it, and it's put them off going. Also very expensive with 3 to pay for.

hertsnessex Thu 05-Jul-07 09:42:40

we took ds1 and ds2 aged 3.5 and 2.5 last week to see shrek. they enjoyed it - but enjoyed the popcorn and sweets more i think!!! would take them again, but 90min is the max, they were very fidgety in the last 10mins but had done well.

cx

FluffyMummy123 Thu 05-Jul-07 09:42:57

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Thu 05-Jul-07 09:43:25

Message withdrawn

oliveoil Thu 05-Jul-07 09:44:47

I hate brum

bad acting all round (including the car)

am off now to do some work, please tell me to go away if you see me before 1pm

xx

expatinscotland Thu 05-Jul-07 09:44:56

No, my DD1 is 4 and has never been.

And now we're moving to a more rural area and the local town doesn't have a cinema.

Issy Thu 05-Jul-07 09:45:11

"tvimo"

What? Is this some time-shifting, download on demand technology of which I'm not aware?

oliveoil Thu 05-Jul-07 09:45:36

I have tried to get them into tv!

but they will not have it

grrrrrrrrrr

<thinks of strapping them into chairs>

katelyle Thu 05-Jul-07 09:45:56

DD always adored going to the cinema - her first film was The iron Giant (a fine film by the way in case anyone's planning a dvd hire this weekend). DS, on the other hand had to be carried out of Finding Nemo after the first 5 minutes screaming in terror, and now at 6 has only seen Madagascar and Cars at the cinema because those are tho only ones I have been able to persuade him wern't scary. What we have what we call Family Cinema, when we get a dvd, make popcorn, ticket, posters, the whole deal. We've watched all sorts - but our favourites have been School of Rock, The Italian Job, Jumanji, Storm Boy and Splash. It's Mary Poppins this weekend.

MrsWeasley Thu 05-Jul-07 09:46:38

I think it depends on the child in a lot of cases its the idea of going rather than wanting to watch the film!

My DD hated it going dark so we didnt take her until recently (shes 8)

I took my kids to the cinema once they were 10 & 8 and a family with 3 LO came in they werent in the slightest bit interested in seeing the film. Just as it started they all(2 adults 3kids) got up and went out to get "happy Meal" type boxes came in and started sorting out who was having what, then back out for drinks, then for the toilet, then for the rest of the time they ran around and fell over a lot! Why???

FluffyMummy123 Thu 05-Jul-07 09:46:38

Message withdrawn

mummydoit Thu 05-Jul-07 09:47:00

My DSs (4 and 3) have never been and I have no intention of taking them for a while yet. I don't like them sitting and watching televion or film for such a long time. We have TV and DVDs on at home but they're usually playing at the same time. I don't like the idea of them sitting staring at a screen for a couple of hours. Also DS1 is a sensitive soul and I'm sure he'd find it too loud and too scary. We tried Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at home at Christmas and he refused to watch the Child Catcher.

expatinscotland Thu 05-Jul-07 09:47:01

It's hard to know what will frighten them at that age, too.

You may end up having to leave a few minutes into it if they take a fright.

oliveoil Thu 05-Jul-07 09:47:37

yes but I lose the will to live then

dd1 tells me to turn it off and put music on

bloody ponce

<<leaves to do paperwork reluctantly>>

ChippyMinton Thu 05-Jul-07 09:52:24

I am still scared of Cruella de Vil and the Childcatcher.
We do the home cinema thing (we have to sit close to the telly as it's a bit samall LOL), with popcorn and a DVD and it's usually Cars or Madagascar. How do children watch the same thing over and over without getting bored?

katelyle Thu 05-Jul-07 10:00:59

Oh, I forgot to say that an integral part of the home cinema thing is that we have a huge discussion beforehand about what we want to watch, and we all have to agree. It's very unusual for us to agree on one we've seen before, and grown ups have rights too in this discussion. Hence The Italian Job - but the kids ADORED it - even if it did give ds a very inappropriate catch phrase!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now