Talk

Advanced search

Entertaining a 4 month old - when does it get easier?

(37 Posts)
chargedproton Thu 07-Feb-19 14:42:23

I am at that annoying stage of 4 months, where my baby doesn’t nap longer the 3 one hour bursts, gets bored at activities I give him after 10 minutes and it’s too wet and cold to venture outside. I got to baby Sensory once a week and another baby group. Every day seems so slow. When does it feels too feeling like I have to constantly entertain my baby?

chargedproton Thu 07-Feb-19 14:42:51

**When does it stop feeling like I have to constantly entertain my baby?

L0kiWh0 Thu 07-Feb-19 14:43:48

About another 11 years 😩

You wait til he’s on the move you’ll be wishing for these days back!

EstrellaDamn Thu 07-Feb-19 14:49:13

Well, the thing is, you don't have to constantly entertain them!

Just go about your life, chat to them as you tidy up or stick them in front of the washing machine if you're cooking. Short, regular bouts of playing and attention interspersed with real life. smile

You can't constantly play with such a small baby, you'll go insane.

DameSylvieKrin Thu 07-Feb-19 14:58:53

My four month old is similar but will sleep much longer in the sling. If I walk for 10 minutes I can have 3–4 hours to myself (well, to myself-ish).

Ellapaella Thu 07-Feb-19 15:04:21

Yes it's not the most exciting time of your life when babies are small and not doing much.. agree get on with normal things and take them along, talk to them, put in baby bouncer and sing songs while you do jobs etc.
I have 3 DC, I used to make sure I got out and about for at least a couple of hours everyday, long walks in pram, meet up with friends etc.
It all gets a bit more interesting (and hard work) when they start walking and talking.

Wallsbangers Thu 07-Feb-19 21:15:01

We went to the shops (big retail park) or the supermarket a lot, go for a coffee, do chores round the house and chat away to him. We always get out for a walk if it's dry, even if it's just 20 minutes round the park.

SquigglySquaw Thu 07-Feb-19 21:29:20

OP, I feel your pain. I am at the exact same stage. I do put DS in his chair when I need to do some quick jobs but he gets frustrated quickly. He just wants to be held and gets bored of toys immediately. I think the cold the past couple of weeks has kept us in more than I would like but in a normal week we would go for a walk through town, go to the retail park near us, go to the baby groups at the library and he has swimming lessons once a week. If we get out for a couple of hours, the rest of the day at home, he's more settled.

SnuggyBuggy Thu 07-Feb-19 21:33:22

I found when mine was able to sit up that made it easier for her to play. Sometimes when she is having a clingy day or we get bored I put her in the carrier and we go out, the weather would have to be really bad to stop me.

SoyDora Thu 07-Feb-19 21:34:38

Like the PP’s, I’ve always just got on with life as much as possible and then the baby along. Walks, supermarket, seeing friends, cafes etc. You don’t need to entertain them, they’re entertained by normal day to day things.
It’s different this time round as I have older DC’s so have the school/pre school run every day and activities to ferry them too so no choice to stay in out of the cold, but I definitely try and make the most of them being immobile as going to cafes etc gets much more difficult when they can move.

parrotfashionista Thu 07-Feb-19 21:37:04

I hear you!!At 6 months I found a marked change - they could sit up in the high chair and play with toys. Lots more fun then!!

GummyGoddess Thu 07-Feb-19 21:41:05

Outings to the supermarket are entertaining for years for them. I get out to a class or activity every morning for both children and did when I had just the one child (now 2 and youngest is 9 months).

They start being more fun around 7 or 8 months but especially when they begin to crawl and can play with you rather than you just waving stuff in their faces. I think 7 months and giving them some paint is quite fun, both of mine really enjoyed squishing it and getting covered. I just hand them some paper and their hands leave paint over it, then cut shapes out of it so they have helped make some sort of art project. Swings at the park at 8 months old are also a hit. It gets easier and easier the bigger they get when they play with you and you can chase them around, or they can bring you the books they want and request which songs you sing.

I would also suggest giving them objects rather than toys as mine always have seemed more interested in holding a wooden spatula or a whisk than any toy with rotating bits or bells on. Keys, mascara tube, wrappers, credit card etc.

minipie Thu 07-Feb-19 21:41:28

Gets much better at 6 months, they can sit up and hold stuff.

I do remember this stage being loooong and boring with DC1. I highly recommend a Jumperoo (usually quite a few available second hand). And wrap up warm and go out in the buggy/sling - even the supermarket or library will be interesting for a baby.

With DC2 it wasn’t boring as DC1 was around to provide entertainment. And DC2 napped better.

AngelaStorm73 Thu 07-Feb-19 21:46:41

I mean you don't have to entertain them really. That's what toys and baby gyms are for. At 4 months mine were happy in a bouncy chair watching me keep house. They just wanted to be close by.

Doonut84 Thu 07-Feb-19 21:54:42

I got a really good rain cover for the buggy, a huge sheepskin for DD to lie in & a decent waterproof coat for me. We walk miles whatever the weather

minipie Thu 07-Feb-19 21:57:06

Babies differ. DD1 at 4 months was only happy in one place for 5 minutes, then she wanted to move. That’s why the Jumperoo was amazing as it kept her happy for all of 20 minutes! Certainly wasn’t happy just watching me do chores. Even now age 6 she doesn’t sit still ever.

GummyGoddess Thu 07-Feb-19 22:19:36

Ah, forgot a popular one! Sit baby in front of the washing machine, particularly a colours load.

AngelaStorm73 Thu 07-Feb-19 23:20:37

Mine loved the washing machine
And the hoover confused

I did play with them too, read, tummy time, music, but mostly they were quite happy to watch the world
Loved our outings though and groups. It's more fun hanging out with them the older they get
Love when they sit up but mine crawled around the same time so never had a phase of just sitting

Peanut91 Fri 08-Feb-19 07:44:21

With my 4 month old I make sure I get out the house every day. I either go to a playgroup, into town or go and see a friend each day. On top of this I go dog walking for 1.5-2hrs each day.

There is no such thing as bad weather....just a bad choice of clothing! Make sure you and LO are wrapped up and have waterproofs/umbrella and head outside for some fresh air. You will both feel much better for it.

Mmmhmmm Fri 08-Feb-19 13:06:15

Anything can be a potential toy to a baby.

www.fatherly.com/parenting/how-to-know-if-baby-bored/amp/

Plastic bottles, car keys, hair brush, plastic bags with rice or beads in them, mirrors etc.

Sierra259 Fri 08-Feb-19 13:13:57

I found that phase deadly dull too! I would try to do a class, rhyme time or play group/stay and play in the morning, just for some company for me. Baby friendly cinema showings were good too. Home for lunch/feed and play for a bit/get on with jobs for a couple of hours. Then out again between 2-3 for a walk if good weather, or shops to pick up anything needed (I would stagger chores like that to give me a reason to get out). Between that and meeting friends for coffee etc it does break up the day. PP's are right too, it does get easier when they can sit independently.

Bouchie Fri 08-Feb-19 16:11:45

Don't give him plastic bags with anythjng in!

SquigglySquaw Fri 08-Feb-19 16:45:31

I've just found an app called Kinadu. Gives you ideas for how to entertain your child at any age. Seems quite good so far 😊

SquigglySquaw Fri 08-Feb-19 16:46:02

Sorry its Kinedu.

outpinked Fri 08-Feb-19 17:21:58

My DS is three months old and I personally love this age! I have three other DC and only realise now that this was the easiest age grin. It’s the last time they can actually be contained and don’t answer back! A friend of mine is currently pregnant with her first and I’ve made sure to tell her to enjoy this part because it truly is about as easy as it gets...

Anyway I have no choice but to walk daily due to school run so weather isn’t really an excuse. Raincover if necessary, blankets/footmuff etc. It’s easy enough. Entertainment wise he has a wooden activity gym thing he loves and a baby Bjorn bouncer. He also just likes me reading to him, talking to him, singing etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: