Talk

Advanced search

38 havent a clue where to start HELP!

(3 Posts)
flowerbomb99 Wed 06-Feb-19 22:22:32

Evening all
I'm a 38 year old single parent to a 5 year old and it's always playing on my mind that I'm still not doing my dream career. Trouble is I'm always changing my mind and fear that time is ticking! I haven't a clue where to start with uni and work 24 hrs now just don't know how I'd find it or fit it in around work! Does anyone know to go to uni now at my age do I need to do an access course? I literally haven't got a clue how uni works and where to start with it all or shall I just look into a home open uni course so I don't have to actually go to uni? My desire (I think!) is to go into social working or midwifery HELP where do I start and will I be able to seriously do this? Inspiration needed I feel so lost and panicking now! X

Mummyof2x Mon 11-Feb-19 22:41:29

With children it is very hard. As a pointer I am 27 with two children from 4 to 7 years I recently finished a degree but it was a struggle. First issue was most of my course was tailored to the younger students who were less serious about the course anyways, my grades were affected due to all this such as poorly managed timetables or lecture deliveries . With the universial credit business, its making it much harder for parents to return into education. I was planning on returning back to university myself, but after 7months struggling to get a job . It seems like it was all for nothing.I would recommend you focus more on in house training , say if you would like to do nursing for example start off as a carer or HCA than gain some sort of recognised qualification. No degree secures jobs without experience , but as a parent it hard to gain this experience due to care responsiblities . For example, most jobs on todays market in the healthcare sector are unsocialable hours, which isn't a problem when you don't have children but becomes a problem with children. I have learnt having children puts a massive hold on your life completely and you completely powerless in trying to move forward. There isn't enough support for single mothers to progress nowadays ,like they use to be.

AlletrixLeStrange Thu 14-Feb-19 17:21:03

Hello. I'm a student midwife and parent to 2 DC. To do midwifery you'll need to go to a brick uni, you can't do it online. You'll be "working" 37.5 hours a week on placement which will be at least 50% of the year and then either physically at uni or home study for 37.5 hours a week the other 50%. It is bloody hard work, I'm on a year off atm as I just had my second DC but even with 1 it was hard enough, sometimes I'd not see him for days on end if I was working back to back long shifts (7:15am-7:45pm). You'll also have to do nights and weekends. You can check your unis for the entry requirements to see if you'd need an access course to be considered for the degree.
Having said that, it's incredible and I love it! We have women ranging from 18-53 in my cohort and most of them are post 25 with families so it definitely is doable and you won't be alone. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »