Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Clingy baby at 3/4 weeks

(15 Posts)
Idobelieveinfairies Mon 02-Jul-07 12:19:00

My nephew was 4 weeks old on Saturday and for the past week he has been clingy..well won't sleep anywhere but on his mum! The minute she tries to put him in the moses basket he wakes up and screams the house down if you leave him in there.

She has tried putting a rolled up towel under mattress to see if he dosen;t like being completely flat-makes no difference. She leaves the telly on incase its too quiet. She is going to try puuting a muslin that she has slept with (so it smells of her)in with him next.

Mine have never really been like this. Does anyone else have any experience?

TooTicky Mon 02-Jul-07 12:21:11

It's natural for a baby to want to be with mum. Mum = safety, warmth, food, comfort. How about a sling? these are great - you can keep the baby close and get on with things. You can even bf on the move.

Idobelieveinfairies Mon 02-Jul-07 12:40:41

Hmmm i was hoping someone would say its not clinginess-he is too young. She is going back to work in September....and i am looking after him! Can't wait to have him around, i just don't want it to be an awful time for him and her and being upset. Hopefully it's just a little phase he is going through and he might be ok by then. Until the big clinginess stage later on.

Will mention the sling idea to her though-thanks.

PetitFilou1 Mon 02-Jul-07 12:45:22

Mine were both the same. I used a sling a lot and an electronic swing with dd as I couldn't have her in the sling all the time. Ds slept on one of us at night for the first six weeks. They both bathed with their dad for a long time too as hated the water on their own but were happy as larry with him in there too. I think this is pretty normal.....

foxybrown Mon 02-Jul-07 12:46:49

I wouldn't worry about him being clingy at this stage, he might just be enjoying her body warmth. She could try warming the moses basket with a hot water bottle first (obviously don't leave it in there with the baby!). And swaddling him to make him feel secure.

flibbertyjibbet Mon 02-Jul-07 12:56:01

Its not clingy, he sounds just like my DS2. Babies that age need their mum, thats all.

Idobelieveinfairies Mon 02-Jul-07 13:01:23

Goodness, i perhaps wouldn't have had 8 children if thats how they are supposed to be!!!

I must have strange children then! Mine slept in moses baskets, cots, prams and car seats whenever they were tired! Would't have coped with a baby lying continously on me day and night!

Brushetta Mon 02-Jul-07 13:03:11

Both my 2 were like that.
Once they'd got past the bit where they jsut sleep anywhere for ages ( getting over the birth) they only slept on me. Usually only on my shoulder. Its hard but really normal I think. They're just getting used to the world around them and they want their mummy.
Dd didn't go in a bouncy seat or under her gym AT ALL till she was 6 weeks and that was only for a few short minutes at a time.

Some babies are happy in baskets and bouncy seats and others hate them(ds hated them!!) Has she tried a sling. dd hated that too though!! But admitedly I didn't try one of the more relaxed looking ones like in tooticky's link. I couldn't afford one. Especilally if she hated it!!
Deffo agree with the swaddling too. My dd was swaddled (loosley )at night till over 1. She just liked being snugg.

But she is clingy now at nearly 2. Some just are. ds is not at all clingy now though.

cruisemum1 Mon 02-Jul-07 13:11:42

mine were both like this. Perfectly normal in every way. When you actually stop and think about how very very tiny, young and dependent he is it'll make sense why he wants to be on his mummy

flibbertyjibbet Mon 02-Jul-07 14:09:36

idobeleive- DS1 sounds like all your kids, crashing out anywhere! Thats why DS2 was such a shock!

Loopymumsy Mon 02-Jul-07 19:18:20

Message withdrawn

BabiesEverywhere Mon 02-Jul-07 19:34:05

My DD was like this, I bought several slings and carried her a lot. Now she is 10 months old and I have to catch her as she dashs past for a kiss and a cuddle..gosh how things change

pevie Mon 02-Jul-07 20:10:18

Recently posted thread about my 9 week old baby being a bit like this, especially with regard to sleeping. My DD1 totally different and would sleep easily when put down. Havent found answer yet for DD2 but I do think its a matter of trying to get them used to going down a little at a time, eg. put them down for 5 mins then increase, etc. My DD2 will lie when happy and awake so this is best time to try it. When she is asleep I usually transfer her to lying down at some point and sometimes try the pram for sleeps. We have variable success but am hoping it gets better. What helped your 10 week old grow out of it loopymumsy? Did you just put her down for sleep one day and she was fine?

Loopymumsy Mon 02-Jul-07 20:20:16

Message withdrawn

alfiesmummy2006 Mon 02-Jul-07 23:41:44

My DS was never and is never like this really!
Sometimes when he was a baby(newborn) he would only want me but now he goes to any one in the family
He sleeps any where and everywhere!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: