Talk

Advanced search

How do I juggle it all???

(5 Posts)
mommathatwearspink Sat 05-Jan-19 17:44:04

I have two DC (4.5 & 20mo), I work 5 days a week and currently on day release to uni studying a degree. I’m struggling to cope managing it all... a family of young DC, working FT, housework and studying and assignments. I’m behind on two assignments but was given an extension and they are due in next week... so far today due to demands of children and a kids party I’ve only done an hour and out of that I’ve struggled to write anything. I haven’t got the concentration for it with everything else!
Student parents, how did you manage juggling everything?

importantkath Sat 05-Jan-19 17:46:29

We had to make an area outside the home where we could study. At home, we just got sucked into daily life. Friends who were going out would offer us their home, parks on a nice day, cafes etc etc. Even for evening work. Leaving the home seemed to be the only way we could do it. (When we were both studying it became rather manic, so now we take turns yearly)

Chosenbyyou Sat 05-Jan-19 17:49:50

Hi,

I have children the same age as yours and I work compressed hours to four days!

I have just finished the MBA in my spare time.

To get it done I wrote every night for 1hr 8-9 and did as much as I could each night. I just wrote what I thought, didn’t double check or rewrite stuff. My marks stayed the same as before so I think I spent time faffing.

Well done for doing it though it’s really hard in your situation. smile

Just get it done and get those two assignments in at a pass grade.

mommathatwearspink Sat 05-Jan-19 18:31:01

Thank you both so much smile
Your ideas of getting out of the house to study and to allocate an hour a night are fabulous ideas and make perfect sense!

Proudmummy88 Thu 17-Jan-19 17:43:04

I'm a final year student nurse. My children are 6,4 and 2. I took a year out between 1st and 2nd year to have my youngest, homeless and single at the time too (no fault of ours). I now also work. Juggling home life, being with my children, uni work, placements and actual work is hell on Earth but the one thing that keeps me going is the life I am creating for my family is far better than the life I would give them without my training. It's hard, really hard. My best advice is coffee lol. No seriously, an hour here n there is brilliant. This is only a short period in your life to get your studying done to set your family up for life. One thing I will say is don't ever feel bad for an extension. I have had a few in the past and if we are allowed them then use them to the best of your ability. I would also say give yourself time out too. I find setting a Saturday afternoon and evening of doing nothing study related helps me to focus better on the times I am studying. You need a break especially since you work FT too!
Very well done for sticking with it and every hour you give yourself to study/write is a pat on the back. With each day you are one step closer to a better place. That's how I view it anyway.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »