Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Anyone else bothered by magazine covers in supermarkets unsuitable for children

(163 Posts)
Howgoesthework Sat 22-Sep-18 12:17:44

Hi all, just seeing if any other people are bothered by the front covers of magazines like Take A Break or Chat in supermarkets?

I've complained in my local Tesco's three times now about front pages with stories like 'My poor brother TORTURED TO DEATH in homemade horror film - His throat was slit for the camera TWICE' or 'We found poor Mum CHOPPED UP in the kitchen BIN' (and these aren't the worst headlines by any means). They have moved them up one level, and they are still completely visible to my 12yo, 9yo and 5yo. (Not such a problem for the youngest as he won't be reading it yet, but for the other two?!)

I really want to change this but I don't know what to do. I currently turn the magazines round or put them right at the top behind others, and I'm considering taking direct action with a marker pen if they don't sort this out.

Does anyone else have a problem with this, and if so, what do you do? The supermarket obviously makes enough money out of them not to care about the odd complaint, but I find it completely unacceptable.

Any thoughts?

Sirzy Sat 22-Sep-18 12:18:51

Just don’t hang around in the magazine aisle perhaps?

Bananalanacake Sat 22-Sep-18 12:22:44

I thought this was going to be about adult magazines. Take a Break and chat magazines are aimed at families. I understand you are objecting to the sensationalist headlines though. Be interesting to see what others have to say.

Howgoesthework Sat 22-Sep-18 12:42:19

Thanks Sirzy, we do want to look at the kids' magazines underneath and the toys directly opposite though, and maybe it's principle too?

Thanks Bananalanacake, yes I'd like to know if I'm in a minority being bothered. Tbh I'd rather they saw a naked woman than read these! I don't think they can be aimed at families though surely? More older women I'd thought.

Sirzy Sat 22-Sep-18 12:43:59

Then just look at the kids magazines. Pick them and move on.

Complete over reaction from you to a non issue

Howgoesthework Sat 22-Sep-18 12:49:44

Thanks again Sirzy for your opinion. I have heard it, understood it, and appreciate your feedback.

I'll wait and see what others have to say, if anything.

Improve12 Sat 22-Sep-18 13:29:31

I disagree with Sirzy.
You don't just pick up the magazines in the kids section and move on. You skim through one at a time. Whether it be the bookshop or the supermarket, it's part of the shopping experience to be able to spend your time and look at magazines. We cant keep picking and choosing everything for our children because the world around us is inappropriate. Perhaps these supermarkets and bookshops should be socially responsible and group the kids magazines with children's books or with children's supplies section. Many books promoted to pre-schoolers are filled with violence, body shaming or many other info that promotes criminal behaviour and bullying.
I recommend you create an online petition regarding this matter. Share it to your facebook and encourage people to sign it. Write a letter to your local member of parliament and council member explaining the issue and its negative impact. These are my suggestions.

PatriciaHolm Sat 22-Sep-18 14:12:52

Um, don't them near about 50% of children's books then. Especially not Roald Dahl, Lemony Snicket, Mr Gum...

Howgoesthework Sat 22-Sep-18 14:29:09

Thanks Improve12, these are the kind of things I would consider though I’m unlikely to start a full campaign, more likely to write some letters and see if that goes anywhere

Howgoesthework Sat 22-Sep-18 14:30:15

Hi PatriciaHolm, I think these magazines go to a whole different level!

Howgoesthework Sat 22-Sep-18 14:37:53

These go a long way beyond anything Roald Dahl wrote (the books he wrote for children, anyway).

anitagreen Sat 22-Sep-18 14:41:40

I agree I don't like seeing things like that I also don't let my kids see the news there's to much depressing stuff going on the world I know that is just part and parcel of life but if I can shield my kids from it then I will.

BE18mum Sat 22-Sep-18 14:46:46

You shouldn’t childproof everything on the offchance of someone being offended and it’s unfair to other adults.

Kids will see adverts/billboards/magazines with grown-up themes regardless and need to grow up eventually and make their own decisions about what is right/wrong unless you raise them in a bubble until they’re in their fifties.

Plus books like Horrible Histories talk about gruesome things like hanging and beheading so this isn’t new to a lot of kids.

foldingtable Sat 22-Sep-18 14:50:39

I’m with you OP.

I’ve never approached anyone in a shop about it as I’ve had different hills to die on. Maybe I should have done? Hmmm. Instead I swoop all the nasty magazine covers behind a nice one.

I also don’t understand why any adult would want to read such things for relaxation.

treaclesoda Sat 22-Sep-18 14:54:26

They do irritate me. I'm a big believer in letting children be exposed to real life, and I have never censored the news for example.

But it's the misery as entertainment factor with these magazines that annoys me. Loads of headlines saying things like 'Raped by my brother whilst my sister was asleep' and 'Murdered by their own dad' and 'First he killed my dog, then it was my turn'. It's all so gleeful, a bit... dehumanising?

It's hard to explain what I mean but it just really grates with me. I hate misery memoirs books as well.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Sat 22-Sep-18 15:21:56

Yes I thought this when my nephew started to read, we have a watershed on tv for a reason

Howgoesthework Sat 22-Sep-18 15:28:45

Anitagreen I definitely fall more into the camp of protecting my children especially when they’re young. I agree treaclesoda, it’s the ‘horror as entertainment’ aspect and the fact it’s real life stories but ones the massive majority will never have to live through that bothers me. Be18mum I see what you mean but you’d never see those kind of things on the side of a bus to advertise a film! And yes foldingtable I wonder if this can be the thing I take on in my (non-existent) free time smile
Thank you for replying to my question anyway. I’ll see how far I’ll go with it but will definitely be still turning the magazines round so my kids don’t see them.

foldingtable Sat 22-Sep-18 16:01:13

Next time I see this I’m going to ask to speak to the manager and explain my concerns. Won’t take much effort and might as well make a small start.

Howgoesthework Sat 22-Sep-18 16:02:34

Exactly OnlyFoolsnMothers, it seems to have slipped through somehow.

Howgoesthework Sat 22-Sep-18 16:04:34

Thanks foldingtable I feel better knowing I’m not the only one out there making this point smile maybe if enough people mention it they will take some notice.

SassitudeandSparkle Sat 22-Sep-18 16:10:05

They are opposite the children's magazines in my Tesco, so children will have their back to them when they are looking at magazines. I don't know if that is deliberate.

I hate those magazines anyway! Ludicrous stories.

Howgoesthework Sat 22-Sep-18 16:32:13

That’s a good idea SassitudaandSparkle, maybe I’ll suggest that as a start.

Bluetrews25 Sat 22-Sep-18 18:09:21

It's not ideal, but the DCs might not notice as much as you do. If they comment on it, just tell them these magazines are all full of lies and exaggerations to make a sale. If you carry on turning them around, moving them, or start to deface them, you may (at best) get banned from every branch of the store. Worst case you could be prosecuted for criminal damage, end up with a record, AND be a sad face on the front of the DM....
Actions have consequences, and this might not be worth throwing yourself under the bus for. Just stop and consider potential future employers googling you.
Please bear in mind that if this gains publicity, it gains publicity for the magazines too. In marketing, any publicity is good publicity, so this could backfire!
Ultimately, no-one is being wounded or abused.
I admire those who make a stand when it's needed. But remain unconvinced over how big this avoidable issue really is.

Howgoesthework Sat 22-Sep-18 18:35:09

Yes Bluetrews25 I agree at least about the marker pen (got a bit carried away with that idea). I might pop a nice gardening mag in front though. And yes, I realised that making a thing out of it did attract the kids’ attention more. However, in some ways these small things are the thin end of the wedge, and I personally feel a certain level of humanity is necessary, and violence being just a ‘part of life’ is not ok. I’ll approach it in a legitimate way though.

Howgoesthework Sat 22-Sep-18 18:43:03

Also Bluetrews25 thanks for the suggestions of what to say if they do notice or read that kind of thing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: