Talk

Advanced search

Feed/sleep/play pattern 5/6 week old

(4 Posts)
yesok Fri 10-Aug-18 20:47:45

For those with a newborn, what does your typical day look like? How often do you get out & about? What’s your baby’s feed/sleep pattern?
I’m a FTM, and curious to see how similar or different your days-with-a-newborn are to mine.

Sazz1e Fri 10-Aug-18 22:41:57

I'm a FTM to a 6 week old DD. There is a vague pattern, long-ish morning sleep (1.5-2 hours) after her morning feed, with length of naps gradually decreasing throughout the day. If I do get out, it's usually in the morning or over lunchtime. I try to get out every day, even just for a walk around the block, but it doesn't always work out. When it was really warm I used to go to the local shopping centre to enjoy the air con!

Afternoons are pretty much a write off. I'm breastfeeding and feeding on demand, DD feeds roughly every two hours and then cluster feeds late afternoon into early evening.

DD isn't great at napping during the day. I had been blaming the hot weather but since it's cooled down she hasn't got much better - think we had a total of 3.5 hours worth of naps during the day today confused She does sleep better at night, but I'm still up to feed every 2-3 hours.

FTMF30 Sat 11-Aug-18 18:28:14

I usually go out 1-2 week. Just the park, pop to the supermarket or meet with a friend who also has a newborn. Going out for me is pretty tough as my LO has colic so will cry violently ALOT.

He usually has a 2hour nap in the morning after a nappy change and feed. Then will have some quiet alertness for about 20-30minutes. Then cry for another 20mins. Get his nappy changed and a feed, then pretty much repeat the cycle until the evening where all hell breaks loose where he will cry non stop from 7pm until around 2am. #colicwoes

ODog Sat 11-Aug-18 22:36:46

Honestly patterns change so much in the early weeks it’s not worth stressing over it at all. DC2 was th worlds most settled baby and I literally boobs her wherever she squeaked then laid her on a playmat/talked/sung to her if she seemed happy and awake and then if she seemed cranky and had already been fed or I was out she was in a sling (literally 75% of her first 6 months were spent in a sling) and she would nod off. She is now 2.3yrs and the most independent, confident toddler ever. Her preschool were actually amazed at her. Given the rod for your own back comments I was given for bf (all the time and until quite recently) and for all the time she spent in a sling it just goes to show that routines aren’t the be all and end all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: