Talk

Advanced search

Will I need a double buggy?

(13 Posts)
SPR1107 Fri 10-Aug-18 10:55:50

Hi,

Wondering if anyone with similar aged children can help please... I'm really early in to my pregnancy, but financially trying to plan ahead.

I'm not due until April, by this point my toddler will be 2 years 8 months. At the moment he naps about 1.5 - 2.5 hours every afternoon.

Does anyone know if I will need a double buggy? Baring in mind he will be at nursery 3 days a week (which I have to drive to). I'm conscious if he's still napping by then, our whole day will have to be planned around his naps if we don't have one? But then will he even still be napping by then? Is he too old for a pram at all by that age?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Mumof4under10 Fri 10-Aug-18 11:25:46

Personally in my experiencesI don't think you would need a double pushchair at that age I would recommend looking at buggy boards to attach to a single pushchair.
I have bought double pushchairs in past for and honestly used it once maybe twice but used the buggy board instead. My eldest was a little younger then yours will be when baby is born. Hope that helps.

Seeline Fri 10-Aug-18 11:29:00

I had the exact same age gap. I bought one but really only used it a handful of times.
Both mine stopped napping at 18 months so that may not be an issue. It was more a matter of keeping the toddler contained.
This was 14 years ago so slings, buggy boards etc weren't as well used, but now I think a combination of those might works just as well.
I used reins on the toddler quite a lot too.

lyssie29 Fri 10-Aug-18 18:10:06

Mine are the same age gap and I bought a buggy board. Harder for when I was on the bus at first as the older one wouldn't sit properly but after a little while she got used to it and sat properly.

Hellywelly10 Fri 10-Aug-18 18:13:58

My dd wasnt using a pushchair at all at that age.

SoyDora Fri 10-Aug-18 18:17:23

We had a 20 month age gap, bought a double and used it a grand total of 5 times! DD1 refused the pushchair from the moment DD2 was born. On the very rare occasion she went in the buggy, i put the baby in the sling. She also dropped her nap at around 19 months.
I wouldn’t get one with that age gap.

MaverickSnoopy Fri 10-Aug-18 18:21:29

I'm going to have 2.3yo and a newborn and have got a standard buggy that converts into a double. I've also bought a buggy board and plan to alternate between the two as needed. My eldest used a buggy until 3yo (largely because she was very uncoordinated and struggled to walk straight or safely - still does at 6yo) and napped in general until she was 4yo so I want to have the option.

Can you do something like this? Alternatively you could budget for a double but not buy it yet and see how you go.

Mollywobbles82 Fri 10-Aug-18 18:22:36

Have just had my second. Dd is 19m. I have single buggy, wrap sling for newborn ds, more substantial sling for dd, reigns for dd and will get a buggy board. A combination of all of these means no need for a double buggy, which I can only imagine would be an encumbrance. Have also thought about getting a cheap umbrella fold stroller for the odd day out where we might want both in buggies - if these were to happen, dh or someone else would be around to push the second!

ChristmasAccountant Fri 10-Aug-18 18:24:51

I had the same age gap and didn’t bother. My eldest had pretty much stopped using the pushchair by 2y6m. He was still napping for an hour so but would generally just do it in the car.

Havetothink Fri 10-Aug-18 19:29:15

My dd will be 2.5 and I've gone for a double. I like to be out and about and she still naps once a day often in the pram. She's also too heavy to carry if she gets tired. Getting a carrier too but I like to have the option of the pram as I found the carrier too uncomfortable soon after having dd.

GreenTulips Fri 10-Aug-18 19:32:03

DD was out of her buggy at 18 months.
Needed a double for twins and eldest walked, sometimes she sat on the hood and held on to me, but you couldn't get a buggy board to fit a double back then.

Buy a buggy board.

Tryingtogetitright Fri 10-Aug-18 19:35:53

I've got the same age gap and bought a Joovy Caboose. Bit heavy and awkward to push but perfect for my older DS to have a rest. No good for him to nap though although you can buy an additional seat. They sell them on amazon never seen one elsewhere.

Bluemoon88 Sat 11-Aug-18 08:14:20

My son was 2 years 8 months old when my daughter was born (in April as well!) and we didn't need a double buggy. There was a couple times we'd be walking far so he'd go in the buggy and I had baby in the sling, most of the time I had baby in the sling and he'd walk and sometimes I'd have baby in the pram and he'd go on the buggy board. Buggy board was brilliant to make sure we got to nursery on time and would be great for whenever you're in a rush or when you need to be somewhere for a certain time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: