Talk

Advanced search

Creepy neighbour

(14 Posts)
Jenni2legs Fri 27-Jul-18 08:20:56

Posted in internet safety as couldn't find RL safety thread.

Last night at 8ish we noticed a neighbour from the house converted into six flats opposite standing topless (couldn't see his bottom half) at his window and it looked like he was starring into our house. We have three kids and the neighbours either side of us both have kids too.

My husband stared at him for a minute and he went say, but when we looked up a few minutes later he was there again so we got up and closed the curtains, he went away as my husband approached the window to do so.

It's not a big road in between the houses so he was definitely looking at our or the neighbours house. There is a sea view in the opposite direction so there is something to look at if you wanted to look out of the window.

What should we do? Approach him if he does it again? Take picture to show police (does this make US creepy!) or ignore it?

onalongsabbatical Fri 27-Jul-18 08:38:25

If you want help I'd post this in AIBU Jenni - AIBU to Take picture to show police will attract traffic.
Personally I wouldn't do anything yet but if you see him do it a few times then take action - is he new in the area?

AlarmClocks Fri 27-Jul-18 08:42:07

His behaviour would concern me also. I wouldn't have windows open unless I was in the room or leave the children unsupervised outside.

ADastardlyThing Fri 27-Jul-18 08:42:50

I think taking a picture of someone just looking out of their window (would it be possible to see where their eyes are pointing from that distance?) is pretty creepy, yes.

I'd keep a note of when he does it just in case it does get more concerning, but I wouldn't do anything at this point. At this point it's just a man looking out of his own window.

Buzzlightyearsbumchin Fri 27-Jul-18 08:46:09

Topless man stands near window in this heat shocker.

He probably moved because your husband was staring at him.

This wouldn't concern me at all.

PaulMorel Fri 27-Jul-18 08:59:40

This is very alarming. Take a picture of him and show it to the police would be the very best option. Keep safe!

ADastardlyThing Fri 27-Jul-18 09:06:45

confused

HeckyPeck Fri 27-Jul-18 09:07:27

I'm not sure what you think the police would do? It's not a crime to be topless in your own house, nor is it a crime to look out of your own window.

Maybe invest in some net curtains?

GreatDuckCookery6211 Fri 27-Jul-18 09:09:51

How far away is you house to his?
It could be innocent, sometimes I stand at my window for ages looking out but I'm not really looking at anything or anyone but in my own world thinking about something.

Are you worried that he's a paedophile?

Baumederose Fri 27-Jul-18 09:15:35

Man looks out of window, shall I call the police?

Is this for real?

ADastardlyThing Fri 27-Jul-18 09:16:57

Me too duck, I often look out my window at neighbours cats pissing about on their drive, or even better when they are just chilling, relaxes me makes me wish I was a cat

I'd move away if I thought someone thought I was looking at them! I'd feel very threatened if someone took a pic of me and prob get in there first with reporting to the police tbh.

Not suggesting this bloke isn't up to no good, but I do think as it stands it's a bit ott to be worrying about motives over someone looking out their own window. Unless there's a huge backstory of course.

Racecardriver Fri 27-Jul-18 09:40:06

I did this last night. I hope the neighbours didn't think I was creeping on them. It was just hot.

matchingpjs Fri 27-Jul-18 09:54:18

I can’t for the life of me understand what this guy is perceived as doing wrong. It’s over 30degrees here. I’m barely dressed inside the house. If I was a man I’d certainly not be wearing a top. And if I chose to stand looking out of my own window in my own property I would do so. If he had a pair of binoculars aimed at your house I’d be concerned.

donquixotedelamancha Fri 27-Jul-18 10:12:25

Take picture to show police (does this make US creepy!)

Yes.

My husband stared at him for a minute

It's impossible to tell exactly where someone who is some distance away is looking. Our brain is hard-wired to think that eyes are looking at us, it's a survival instinct. The only person we know was definitely creepily staring at someone was your DH.

I wouldn't have windows open unless I was in the room or leave the children unsupervised outside.

We all like winding up silly OPs, but I think stuff like this is a bit cruel. We've all felt paranoid at some time; hopefully chucking it out onto t'internet and having the piss taken will reassure OP that there is nothing to it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »