Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Grandparents: too much!

(8 Posts)
Firsttimer1234 Sat 23-Jun-18 14:20:05

So my husbands parents are really starting to bug me. Little one is only two weeks old and already I feel like they are overstepping the line. They have turned up unannounced every single day so far! They turn up, come in, are extremely loud, try hold him when he's sleeping, poke and prode him and then go home. It's not like they're doing anything for us. They aren't helping us with being first time parents or anything. I feel like whenever they come I have to entertain them and most of the time it's in the evening when I am exhausted. I walked in the other day from the loo and my FIL was laid on the floor with his head inside the moses basket while LO was asleep. They even argued with me because they wanted to change his nappy. All the do is ask when they can babysit, he's two weeks old!! My husband knows this is getting to me but he's very much the peace keeper and hates anyone being upset. What do I do? They live five minutes down the road and I've already started looking at houses away from the area. Drastic I know. I think it all annoys me even more because before baby they have probably been to our house half a dozen times and always expected us to visit them, now they are camping In the living room.

MorrisDancingViv Sat 23-Jun-18 14:22:40

When they turn up say 'oh sorry, I'm off out in 5 mins to meet a friend'

GetInMaBelleh Sat 23-Jun-18 14:27:28

That would drive me bonkers.

Ask them to message before coming and you’ll let them know if convenient.

Aprilshouldhavebeenmyname Sat 23-Jun-18 14:34:19

I saw some little door plaques that read :
Shhh Baby boy /girl is sleeping.
Hang it on the front door, close curtains +switch phone off.
Until they get the message.
Cfs.

SingingSands Sat 23-Jun-18 14:38:22

Stick a sign on the door “no visitors today, thank you”. Lock the door and leave the key in the lock (in case they have their own key).

It’s lovely that they are so loved up by their new grandchild, but m goodness you need a breather!

ihatewineandsoaps Sat 23-Jun-18 14:43:58

Lock the door, close the curtains and turn your phone off. If they ask later where you were just say you were sleeping. Oh and tell your OH to grow a back bone and tell them to back off.

anotherangel2 Sat 23-Jun-18 21:00:23

You need to find her ‘inner tiger mummy’ (cliche but true) tell your husband to tell them go back off and set ground rules or you will and you won’t be polite with them.

NorthernSpirit Sun 24-Jun-18 13:18:26

How rude of them to just turn up unannounced. They sound bored and I would nip this in the bud. Your house, your rules. Ask them to ring beforehand (and you can decide if it’s convienent). If they just turn up (remember you are in charge and in control) tell them politely it’s not convenient.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: