Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Newborn breastfeeding

(30 Posts)
mustbemad17 Fri 22-Jun-18 16:12:12

DS is 2 days old so still very new to this. But for the love of mayhem i'm in so much pain 😱 every time he latches on i want to squeal. Have a bf supporter coming tomorrow as he has posterior tongue tie so want to check things are okay, but for now is there anything i can do? He is getting plenty to eat judging by the nappies so just need to push through the pain!

spugzbunny Fri 22-Jun-18 21:09:26

Lasinoh after every single feed! It'll
Stop your nipples cracking at least! I also really liked nipple shells in between feeds. Also don't forget you can take certain painkillers.

newcupcake Fri 22-Jun-18 21:10:33

I had that toe curling latch on pain with every feed for a good ten days then it went

ohamIreally Fri 22-Jun-18 21:11:55

Yes it's horrendous at first you're not doing anything wrong it will settle down.

Naschkatze Fri 22-Jun-18 21:15:19

Definitely take painkillers. It will get less painful but it can be horrendous at the beginning! Hang in there.
Also, get some multi-mam compresses. Pretty sure I ordered some at 3am on amazon prime one night. They were an absolute godsend. Such a relief to put them on after a feed!

Congratulations on your DSthanks

Verbena87 Fri 22-Jun-18 21:20:57

1) yes yes yes to the Lansinoh!

2) don’t even try to wear a top, or bra. Lots of air between feeds really does seem to help and you don’t want anything rubbing on the skin.

3) remind yourself you’re doing a blooming brilliant job and it will get easier - breastfeeding counsellor is a great idea and before then you could try calling a breastfeeding helpline as they often have great advice and even if not it’s just nice to have someone sympathise and support (we have a local one and they were such w help getting me through tough days early on)

mustbemad17 Fri 22-Jun-18 21:31:59

Thank you all. Have got Lansinoh now, that's a bloody relief just putting that on! Had to give DS formula tonight bless him as he was really struggling; the difference in him is unreal. It's so disheartening knowing he wasn't quite filling up despite the effort of us both BUT i intend to keep trying & hopefully we can push through together.

FusionChefGeoff Fri 22-Jun-18 21:48:00

Never underestimate how much nipple they need in their mouth - you've really got to shove it all in really deep to help prevent the worst of it.

harrietm87 Sat 23-Jun-18 16:20:11

My baby is 9 weeks and I had this at the start - didn't know the meaning of toe curling before then!

If your baby is 2 days old your milk won't have come in yet, so it's no wonder the formula satisfied him, but you need to let him suck pretty much constantly at this stage to stimulate supply, so try to avoid more formula if you can. Also prolactin (milk stimulating hormone) is highest at night so it's most important to get him on the breast then (sadly!).

Constant sucking does not mean he's not feeding well or you're doing anything wrong - it's completely normal so don't lose heart.

Apply lansinoh before and after every feed and take paracetamol. Keep well hydrated and do loads of skin to skin with baby as that also helps supply.

I have very sensitive skin/nipples and the latch/letdown was painful for 2 weeks for me, then one day it was just fine. It will get better and is so worth the early pain and stress!

Verbena87 Sat 23-Jun-18 16:27:54

Hope the bf supporter has been a help today OP.

ShackUp Sat 23-Jun-18 17:49:11

Agree with PPs, keep feeding, even if it seems he's constantly feeding - he's boosting your supply, which should be coming in any day now!

It's normal for them to feed lots at night, too.

This website is the breastfeeding bible: www.kellymom.com

mustbemad17 Sat 23-Jun-18 17:53:03

The bf consultant was lovely, but she has agreed he needs his tongue tie snipping. Hopefully the referral will be quick, the MW is sending it off straight away. We did a 'practice' latch to show how we were doing & the lady could see just how frustrated DS was getting bless him. In the meantime i'm going to hand express & once my milk comes in at least try to maintain my supply. I can't face putting him on atm as it is so painful so it isn't happening as often as I would like 😔 but we will get there

Her0utdoors Sat 23-Jun-18 17:57:31

Keep up the good work OP, rooting for you x

Verbena87 Sat 23-Jun-18 18:07:40

Friend’s baby had a tongue tie snipped and it was a game-changer. Hopefully as it affects his ability to eat, they’ll be fairly speedy about it.

Hand expressing colostrum can be disheartening as it looks like such little amounts, but is really nutritious and very much worth doing.

You’re doing a great job. Fingers crossed for a quick referral.

whatwouldnigellado Sat 23-Jun-18 18:09:52

Not sure where you are in the country OP but if you're in the south west then I cannot recommend healthy babies enough for support with feeding and they do private tongue tie cutting as well. Congratulations and I agree that breast milk and lanishoh help though I preferred boots own make. Keeping going, you sound like your doing a fan job.

babybrainusedtobesmart Sat 23-Jun-18 18:12:03

Amazon prime some shields! They're great for emergencies when you just can't take the pain anymore and need a break. It gets so much easier I promise. You won't have any pain at all in a couple of weeks x

stuckficks Sat 23-Jun-18 18:43:15

Try hydrogel breast pads, they are absolute miracle workers! Amazon have them I've used the rite aid ones and they did the job and stopped pain in about 12 hours

harrietm87 Sat 23-Jun-18 19:24:48

OP you're doing an amazing job - keep going! It's so hard in the early days. I cried nearly every time he latched. But it honestly was so worth it - I'm only 9 weeks in and it's so enjoyable and easy now. You're doing all the right things by getting support. Persistence now will pay off so much later.

mustbemad17 Sat 23-Jun-18 20:26:03

Thanks everyone, your comments are much appreciated. I have tonight managed to start hand expressing, which has brought a smile to myself. Altho OMG the after pains ramp right up doing that don't they?!

We are definitely going to keep going, even if we can manage a week i will be super chuffed

Verbena87 Sat 23-Jun-18 20:38:36

I predict you’ll go way beyond a week; you’re clearly motivated and doing all you can to give yourselves a great start.

I’d forgotten about the lactation-induced afterpains! (9 months in and the first days become a bit of a blur) - a hot wheat pillow or water bottle is quite nice (on your belly like for period pains) if you’re expressing and don’t have a warm baby to soothe them.

Let us know how you get on x

Oly5 Sat 23-Jun-18 20:43:12

Keep going OP, it gets so
Much easier. Your baby won’t be “filling up” as he’s so tiny - he will want to be on your boob 24 hours a day and this is all normal. He’s telling your breasts to produce milk. If you give him formula then you’re interrupting this process. I promise you that it does get easier - so much easier! I’ve bf and bottle fed and by 3/4 months it was far easier to breastfeed than faff about with sterilising bottles. And it’s free!
Good luck with the tongue snip.
Don’t worry if you’re in pyjamas all day eating biscuits and feeding a baby. This is all normal

LemonScentedStickyBat Sat 23-Jun-18 20:46:58

Sometimes tongue tied babies do well with nipple shields while waiting for the referral - may be worth a try, and may be less painful for you

BrioLover Sat 23-Jun-18 20:54:35

I used the Medela nipple shields on and off till DS2 was about 4 months and he is still BF at 8 months now!

I spent a lot of time doing skin to skin to make sure my supply was keeping up (as I had supply issues with DS1, which meant he was FF in the end), and just resigned myself to a lot of time in bed/on the sofa with a baby on my boob.

It's been worth it though as from about 5 months he only took 10-15 mins to do a full feed (from both boobs!) which is so quick and easy compared to bottles.

You're doing a brilliant job, when the tongue tie is cut you'll notice a big difference.

Verbena87 Sat 23-Jun-18 21:18:38

Don’t worry if you’re in pyjamas all day eating biscuits and feeding a baby.

This. In fact, worry if you’re NOT.

mustbemad17 Sat 23-Jun-18 21:22:13

Haha thank you, i hope so! Not quite in pjs as it is far too warm...spending my days in pants on the sofa 😂 it is rather nice to have a full out excuse tbh.

I hate bottle feeding purely due to the faff! Would definitely be much easier to bf full time

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: