Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Leaking nappies

(27 Posts)
Smellybears Thu 21-Jun-18 03:45:09

Hello!
Currently using aldi size 3 nappies but the last few nights they’ve leaked resulting in stripping the bed and clean sleeping bag and baby grow part way through the night.
Baby weighs just under 14lb, making sure frilly bits are out and nappie is tight enough. I’ve tried asda, tesco, Sainsbury’s, boots, pampers in sizes 1/2 but they all leaked.
Can anyone recommend a size 3 for night use please? The also size 4 starts at 20lb (I think) so these may be too big for baby just yet, or shall I give them a try?

SeaToSki Thu 21-Jun-18 03:50:22

Put a size 4 over the top amd double up, so to speak

CremeDeSudo Thu 21-Jun-18 03:54:08

I had this problem with DS. I used to put the size up on him and later found pampers the most absorbent so used store brand in the day and pampers at night.

I even resorted to getting absorbent inserts for cloth nappies! Didn't work particularly well though.

Failing all this could you change without waking when you go to bed? I couldn't with mine but some people can!

Smellybears Thu 21-Jun-18 03:59:03

I definitely can’t change without waking unfortunately!
Reading reviews on Aldi size 4 and a lot of people having problems with leaking.
Regarding pampers, what’s he difference with the premium protection, the baby dry and the baby dry pants? They all say up to 12 hour so not sure which to go for? Also shall I stick to a size 3 because of his weight or do up? He’s quite skinny.

Figmentofimagination Thu 21-Jun-18 04:02:48

Aldi size 4 start at 15lbs, the 4+ which is extra absorbent starts at 20lbs.
I would go up to the size 4 for night times. I did this with DS. I did have a few leaks at first, but that was because I was tucking the tabs all the way in around his back so they would go over the inside barrier. Now I just fold the tabs in half when fastening the nappy and have had no leaks.

Smellybears Thu 21-Jun-18 04:03:29

Asda are getting good reviews as well, do I maybe give those a try? Again though, which size?

Smellybears Thu 21-Jun-18 04:04:59

I’ll give the size 4 a try then. Can I ask what you mean about folding the tabs in half please? Sorry to sound daft! 😂

Smellybears Thu 21-Jun-18 07:34:35

Changed him 4 hours ago and the same thing, leaked out the top, change his baby grow and sleeping bag again! How frustrating!!

noenergy Thu 21-Jun-18 07:36:07

I found pampers baby dry to be best at night.

Luxembourgmama Thu 21-Jun-18 07:38:32

Purple pampers are the best I think they're called active fit

NoParticularPattern Thu 21-Jun-18 07:40:11

My DD is around the same weight as your DS and I’ve had her in 4+ from Lidl overnight for a while. They’re a bit big as she’s extra long and skinny, but I’m yet to have any leaks and the nappy is absolutely saturated come morning! She’d be in a size 3 in the day if we weren’t using cloth. If that fails I’d likely put the size 3 on and the 4+ (Or bigger) over the top.

CremeDeSudo Thu 21-Jun-18 08:50:42

Pampers Baby Dry here too

MagicFajita Thu 21-Jun-18 08:58:47

We use ether pampers or little angels (Asda) , Asda nappies are extremely good value , no complaints at all.

I had to put ds in the next size up as they had no 4s left and they were also fine.

Mammyofasuperbaby Thu 21-Jun-18 09:03:05

We. Were using Asda size 4 for my son but he leaked a lot so we changed to 4+ (same size just more absorbent) and hardly had a leak since.
Also ignore weights in the packets they are only a guide line. My DS has always been in a size way past the weight limit without problems. As long as the nappy is snug around the waist and legs without overlapping it fits

Smellybears Thu 21-Jun-18 09:08:46

I’ll give the asda brand a try again and hopefully they won’t leak this time smile gone for the size 4+
Thank you all for your help and advice, I’m off to wash bedding and sleeping bags now 😂

stargirl1701 Thu 21-Jun-18 09:11:04

Try a reusable wrap over the disposable? Motherease are very good.

Yokatsu Thu 21-Jun-18 09:15:08

Many moons ago. Always sized up. Huggies were best for us. Washable or disposable bed pads over the sheets were good too

Figmentofimagination Thu 21-Jun-18 11:17:01

Sorry, only just seen your question about folding the tabs in half. The tabs at the front of the nappy that you are supposed to tuck around the back (circled in first photo). I would fold them in half so they didn't go all the way to the back of the nappy before fastening the nappy, or else they would overlap the barrier at the back (circled in second photo). If they went over the barrier the wee would leak out at the sides. HTH

Smellybears Thu 21-Jun-18 11:43:59

Maybe that’s why mine are leaking then! I didn’t realize that about not overlapping the back, makes sense now I’ve been told! grinwink

Verbena87 Thu 21-Jun-18 11:46:43

We had this for a bit, then it weirdly stopped again. Try pampers size 4. If/when that fails, try cutting the waterproof backing off a leftover maternity pad (so wee can pass through it into the nappy) and tuck this into the bedtime nappy with NO BITS STICKING OUT. Probably not a good long term solution but did the trick for us during an excessive nocturnal weeing phase!

Figmentofimagination Fri 22-Jun-18 07:41:53

How did last night go @Smellybears? Did you manage to get bigger nappies?

DailyMailFail101 Fri 22-Jun-18 07:48:26

I’d try a size 4 pampers nappy pant, I find the nappy pant to be better at preventing leaks.

Smellybears Fri 22-Jun-18 08:19:59

I got the little angels size 4+.........no leaks!! Very happy and hopefully they will continue to not leak smile thank you all!!

Hillbillyhotel Fri 22-Jun-18 08:28:24

My DS has leaked during the night since about ten months. After trying every brand and size we found an old Mumsnet thread where someone recommended putting the nappy on as normal and then putting another nappy on backwards (as in tabs at the back) over the top and that keeps him dry.

owltrousers Fri 22-Jun-18 09:06:55

We also had success with the asda little angels, its whats I was going to suggest. They seem to come up smaller / trimmer than aldi & pampers so you can sometimes get away with a bigger size. My son is 17lbs and he's already wearing the 20lb+ size.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: