Talk

Advanced search

8 week old wont feed after jabs - normal?

(8 Posts)
WhyTheHeckMe Wed 13-Jun-18 21:12:48

Ds is 8 weeks old and had his first vaccinations at 10.30am today. He responded much worse than ds1 ever did to the point where he was turning blue as he cried so much he couldn't breathe and the nurse had to forcefully blow on his face a few times to get him to catch his breath. He cried proper tears for around 2 hours solid and then had totally exhausted himself out.
He's slept all day since and usually wakes for feeds (ff) like clockwork every 2 hours (4oz a time) but today he's had 4oz at 9am, 1oz at 2pm and 1oz at 9pm. All other feeds he has totally rejected.
Is this normal after jabs to not want milk? I hate the thought of him being hungry bit he just won't take it at all.

spugzbunny Wed 13-Jun-18 22:47:12

My baby girl didn't feed from 6pm until 9am following her 8 week jabs. I thought my boobs were gonna explode. As long as LO is still having wet nappies and isn't lethargic or limp then you should be ok. For us it lasted about 48 hours before she was back to normal.

Itscurtainsforyou Wed 13-Jun-18 22:53:45

Hmm. I would phone 111 for advice.

My situation is different as my baby was still in hospital (born premature) when he had his first jabs, but he was quite poorly afterwards.

Worth calling to be on the safe side I reckon.

FartnissEverbeans Thu 14-Jun-18 10:31:15

If it was me I'd phone for advice too. DS wasn't dissimilar after his first set of jabs - he absolutely screamed to the point where he went floppy and white and slept for ages once he'd calmed down. He was fine though - he needed a day to recover but we had no fevers etc.

It didn't happen with his next set of jabs.

Itscurtainsforyou Thu 14-Jun-18 10:35:45

The 8w jabs have the menB (also the 16w ones too) that can trigger more of a reaction that the other lot.

Lozxx Thu 14-Jun-18 10:39:59

My boy was the same after his jabs. I was so worried but it is normal and I've been told that after every jab. Just keep an eye and if you are worried ring GP smile they all react so differently, my boy is 1 now and always spikes a temperature with this.

WhyTheHeckMe Thu 14-Jun-18 11:18:35

Thanks for the responses much appreciated.
His temp hit 38.4 last night even after 3 doses of calpol. Called 111 as nhs website said anything over 38 in under 3mo needs attention. Took him to out of hours docs at midnight, he was fine. Temp came down and he's happier today but still off his food smile

Itscurtainsforyou Thu 14-Jun-18 11:51:54

That's good news - thanks for updating

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: