Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

child sensitive to noise

(9 Posts)
virginwhocantdrive Wed 13-Jun-18 14:44:18

my DS is 7, he's always been a very sensitive child and so was always sensitive to noise and crowded places but drs and HV didn't think anything of it so we left it alone and thought he'd grow out of it.
We have a huge family and lots of friends with DC and we often meet up and go to new places an events, he will be fine with this but I've noticed when younger he would be anxious until I showed him pictures of the place and told him what the day would entail then he'd be fine, since last year he's been ok without me having to explain where we're going etc.
BUT he's getting worse with noise, he cried at the school disco as it was too loud, he'll routinely put his hand over his ears if being told off or if somebody sings, it's like he can't stand to hear it
I'm starting to wonder if I need to get him rechecked for autism or if it could be his actual hearing causing him problems?
any ideas or experience?

virginwhocantdrive Wed 13-Jun-18 14:47:32

Also hes very very sensible for his age and ahead of his peers for a lot of things.
He's recently also decided that he won't eat food that's browned too much, like the more cooked bits on top of lasgana or pie etc... he's always been a bad eater but will try all sorts of foods,he just won't eat much of it.
He is very shy too but has two shy parents so If never thought anything of it on its own.

Gizlotsmum Wed 13-Jun-18 14:49:12

Ask your gp for a referral for a hearing test. Then depending on the result if that maybe talk to the school about your concerns

Pascall Wed 13-Jun-18 14:53:56

Have you read into Sensory processing disorder? My DS has lots of symptoms of this, but we have never pursued a diagnosis. He also couldn't tolerate the school disco or other places where there were loud noises.
Get ear defenders if he'll wear them, and find other activities instead. DS used to enjoy going for a curry with us while everyone was at the disco.

He has learned to tolerate things a bit better now, and gets through life quite well

EscapistTendencies Wed 13-Jun-18 15:00:51

You could be describing my DS a couple of years ago. Now at almost 10 he has indeed grown out it. He still has sensitivities around food and clothing but no longer covers his ears at loud noises. He was/is also quite mature for his years. He used to be very shy but his confidence has grown considerably in recent years and he'll now chat to neighbours, shop assistants etc. and can confidently stand up in front of his class and deliver a PowerPoint. I never felt the need to get a diagnosis, it's just who he is.

virginwhocantdrive Wed 13-Jun-18 15:35:48

Thank you to everyone's replies I forgot to ads rather stupidly as this was the point of my post that he often mishears us too. But at school he's been fine and most of the time with us he's fine but I notice when he mishears people he'll just nod his head rather than ask them to repeat but I used to put this down to his shyness.
we have a huge family and when it's all of us it's really loud but that's never fazed him, it's just seems to be outside of being with us when he gets visibly anxious etc..

virginwhocantdrive Wed 13-Jun-18 15:38:03

i am going to look into sensory processing disorder thanks.
At school they say he's fine but just shy and quiet and to be honest he's less shy than I used to be so I never worried about it too much.
He also doesn't make eye contact when saying hi to people but after a few minutes he's fine with them. i just thought it was his personality but now I'm feeling like I should've picked up on all this earlier

Pascall Wed 13-Jun-18 16:20:32

as a pp advised, it sounds like you should get his hearing checked too.

virginwhocantdrive Wed 13-Jun-18 17:19:02

i will get him checked out.
he doesn't have any of the other symptoms of sensory processing disorder so i don't think it's that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: