Talk

Advanced search

What do your teenagers do around the house?

(10 Posts)
tkband3 Wed 13-Jun-18 12:49:22

I have three teenagers, one is nearly 15 and twins of 13. All are girls. I would really appreciate some insight into what other children of this age are expected to do around the house, how much allowance they get, what they're expected to do with it etc. I am struggling with DD1 at the moment and whilst I have canvassed views amongst her friends' parents, this did not go down well with her! So I would be really grateful for the input of complete strangers instead!

How old is your teen?
How much allowance do they get?
Do you also pay for phone etc on top?
What are they expected to pay for out of their allowance?
What are they expected to do around the house on a regular basis?
Do they keep their bedroom tidy and do they clean it/change their sheets themselves?

Really grateful in advance for all responses smile.

RedSkyAtNight Wed 13-Jun-18 12:58:14

Boy (14) and Girl (12).
They get £10 a month spending money and £5 a month for their phones.
We also pay if they go out with friends e.g. to cinema (they do this infrequently atm, when they start doing it more will probably up the allowance to include this).

Allowance at the moment is for buying presents for others, saving up for items they deem necessary and we don't (normally PS4 related) and general crap (fizzy drinks/sweets). We buy all clothes, toiletries, school related items etc.

In terms of household tasks they take it in turns to lay and clear table for evening meal. Any non-school uniform ironing. We have an hour (normally on a Saturday morning) when we blitz the house and they are expected to pitch in and help with cleaning/hoovering. Might be expected to help with miscellaneous other tasks e.g. weeding.
One day a week DH and I are both late home and they are expected to at least start dinner (e.g. by prepping veg)

They are meant to keep rooms clean and tidy but their definition of tidy is different to mine smile (I don't do anything with their rooms; they live in their own squalour). They change their beds themselves.

tkband3 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:10:31

Thank you RedSky

Grateful for any more responses...

meme70 Sun 17-Jun-18 15:22:56

I am a mum of 4
3 bio daughters and 1 SD
DH and I work from home so that makes it tougher for me as I’m expected to do all the housework coking cleaning gardening diy shopping any allmthe bills buy all the clothes and DH work only.
SD is nearly 12 stays 3 nights a week
DD 1 left home a few years ago lives 160 miles away
DD 2 is 18 works pastime doing A levels
DD3 13 here 4 nights a week

I have done multiple Rots just for hoovering washing up putting away as we have no dishwasher

They all ignore it
My husband bangs on my kids don’t do it so why should his I say well as his daughter is his responsibility why do I do everything for her and you do nothing.

So I get the girls to hoover once each a week
Wash up put away twice a week each

They won’t

I pay for my daughters phones one £10’a month the other £25 pmonth
My 18 year old lays no hiuse keeping until she finishes A levels in 2019

So I’m lost I’ve threatened to not cook then I feel bad what can I do to get the. To see it’s the right thing to do your share inthe house you live in

DD 3 does nothing ayvhwr dads and SD does nothing at her BM

They are all lazy sitting in they’re phones all the tome and look at me like I tried to murder them when I say Rota

It’s harder with my SD as my husband is her role model and he does nothing so she thinking why should she buy I think it’s all unfair onme as I’m seen as I have to do work and 100% everything in a house we all use

SluttyButty Sun 17-Jun-18 15:43:16

DD18,does nothing around the house but is in charge of cleaning and tidying her own room but she's on the top floor so if it's a mess I rarely see it. She's just about to finish her A levels and to me revision and getting a good education has been more important to me than doing chores. I am however starting to enlighten her because she's off to uni in a few weeks so is going to have to use a washing machine. She'll be on a meal plan so she won't be cooking.

She doesn't get an allowance, we just buy what she needs or sometimes wants and pay her monthly phone contract. She'll get an allowance of sorts at uni because we'll be having to pay an awful lot because she'll only get a partial maintenance loan. She is however very careful about not asking for and wasting money, she's frugal.

I make her evening meal but all other meals she makes herself and tidies up afterwards.

DS about to turn 13 is ASD. He actually likes vacuuming his room if I don't demand he does it. He does nothing else chore wise and I'm not going to force the issue.

He too has no allowance because he has no understanding of the value of money and probably never will. Again we buy whatever he needs or wants but we do make him wait at times so he's sort of saving for it but in my bank. We pay his phone but he's on payg rather than contract like his sister.

KingscoteStaff Sun 17-Jun-18 15:56:51

DS 16, DD 14.
DS gets £50 a month, DD £40. They pay for phones, haircuts in between school holidays, clothes and shoes I do not deem ‘necessary’, cinema tickets, lunches out with friends, birthday presents.

In the house, they change their sheets and hoover their bedrooms on a Saturday morning, clean out rabbits, lay and clear table, fill and empty dishwasher. I do all laundry that has been put into baskets.

Saturday morning chores have to be done before the taxi driver comes on duty to take them to sports training.

In the holidays, there are always a couple of jobs that need doing before the daily WiFi code is released!

They should probably do some cooking, but I’ve been a bit rubbish at enforcing that.

BlueJava Sun 17-Jun-18 16:30:35

2 DS both 16.
They get £40 spending money a month + mobile phone bill + £40 to a savings account.
They have to use their spending money for all clothes apart from school clothes, any events they want to go to (unless it's a family event with us), meals out/coffee with friends (unless it's with family). We buy all school clothes, books, school trips.

They don't do formal jobs around the house but do keep their rooms tidy without being asked. They always make their own beds, tidy their room, put washing in laundry, any dirty plates in dishwasher etc the same day as used.

If I ask them they will, without grumbling, put away away clothes (their own and others), help clean up/tidy, vacuum the living room, stack dishwasher etc. and sometimes help with DIY (e.g. paint damproofing on the floor, help hang a door, sand down skirting, emulsion the cieling etc etc). Occasionally they cook a family meal, I don't ask them to cook but they will volunteer if they see something they want to do.

To be honest I can't complain at all because their rooms are pretty neat and they don't make a huge amount of mess, plus they will willingly help if asked.

Sparklesanddiamomdsforever Sun 17-Jun-18 16:40:17

15 year old son, £10 per week but he gets deductions for detentions, not doing his jobs correctly etc, so it's rarely £10.
He empties dishwasher daily and takes rubbish out daily

BoxsetsAndPopcorn Sun 17-Jun-18 16:58:45

They get £30 a month allowance for fun things and we pay for phones on top. They don't need to buy clothes or toiletries etc from it as these should still be the parents responsibility. On top, they have savings accounts that we pay into monthly unbeknown to them.

They don't have set jobs but are expected to keep rooms tidy, clothes in wash basket and plates and cups etc to the kitchen after use. I'd rather they did their homework and had some down time as school is full on. Plenty of time for housework when they are adults so they may Asmara well enjoy some relative care free years whilst they can.

BackforGood Sun 17-Jun-18 17:24:48

Mine are now 22,19 and 16, but has been pretty similar since 14, 12 and 9..... (is slightly different now with being away at University / working shifts / in the middle of exams, but, over time....)

All cook one evening meal a week. Other 2 were expected to lay the table, get everyone a drink, or clear up afterwards / load dishwasher.
All supposed to keep their rooms tidy.... I never really succeeded here, but, if they chose not to then they lived in the pigsty.
Do 'occasional things' on request - "can you just...." type jobs to whoever was close by (get the washing out the tumble drier / put the rubbish in the outside bin / go and fetch X,Y,Z / make a cuppa / etc)

Mine have all had £1per year of age, per month pocket money (so 15 yr old gets £15 per month)... pay any credit they want for phones out of that, and any presents for family, and any 'going out'. We'd pay subs for things they belong to, and buy clothes, toiletries, etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: