Talk

Advanced search

Suitable phone for secondary school

(6 Posts)
TheProvincialLady Sun 10-Jun-18 11:12:54

I’d be grateful for any advice please. My son starts secondary school this year and the deal has always been that he will get a phone at this point, as he will be travelling alone by public transport.

He’d like the fanciest, most expensive phone of course but knows this isn’t on offer. It’s his birthday soon and I’d like to give him a phone as a present but I’m really not sure what to get him. I don’t want him to be laughed at for having an embarrassing phone but neither do I want to spend money on a phone that might be damaged or stolen. What do people normally get for rising 12 year olds please? I’m a complete novice. I’m assuming a smartphone and he already has Qustodio installed on his tablet (and no access to social media) so would be happy to replicate that on a phone.

All advice gratefully received!

rainingcatsanddog Tue 19-Jun-18 20:34:58

It's iPhones round here. You can get iPhone SE at a competitive price.

StayingAtTamaras Tue 19-Jun-18 21:30:34

Could get him an iPhone SE from CEX or Game for around £90-110 or something like a Samsung J3 brand new for £110

PaulMorel Mon 16-Jul-18 06:09:06

iPhone SE or Samsung J series will do.

bollocksitshappenedagain Mon 16-Jul-18 06:30:12

I think the majority in my y6 dd class have I phone 6 or SE. My dd has a hand me down 6 and she prefers that as the shape is the same as the later phones whereas the SE is like the older ones.

charityhallet Mon 16-Jul-18 06:33:04

Samsung J3 for my 11yo and she's delighted with it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »