Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

My baby is always really hot & sweaty - worried!

(11 Posts)
owltrousers Mon 28-May-18 09:04:29

DS is 4 months. He's always been a hot baby - never wanted the typical vest/babygro combo at night and won't abide by sleeping bags or blankets.

Recently the weather has been so hot and humid and its been between 22-24 degrees in our bedroom where he sleeps. We've let him sleep in either a short sleeved vest with a muslin over his legs or sometimes just a nappy if its really hot but he's still soaked in sweat by morning and a lot of the time he gets worked up from being hot.

Daytime naps are a nightmare as he now hates his bouncer (where he used to always sleep) because its made of nylon and makes his back sweaty so I have to hold and rock him but if it takes too long for him to drift off he gets all kind of stuck to me and will have a meltdown from being too hot.

We have a fan in our room, windows open, blinds drawn during the day to try and keep the heat out. I don't know what else to do really?

I'm worried about the link to SIDS from overheating, I wondered if anyone else has a hot/sweaty baby - is there anything else I can do to keep him safe and cool?

flapjackfairy Mon 28-May-18 09:09:07

I have a 4yr old who is similar.
He never seems to get cold and only sleeps in shorts and t shirt .
I find it hard because i am the worlds coldest person ( still wearing 2 pairs of socks in this heat ) and i keep trying to cover him up but he wakes soaked in sweat .
Have you got him checked out at gps for anything underlying. No idea what though but may put your mind at rest.

owltrousers Mon 28-May-18 09:11:44

Thanks @flapjackfairy I haven't got him checked out because I kind of put this recent spell down to the humid weather, plus he had his 3rd set of jabs last week so I wondered if that was making him a bit irritable and thus sweaty. I will certainly take him if I see no improvement though.

flapjackfairy Mon 28-May-18 09:14:18

Ps practical tip .
Buy a dog cooling mat with jel in for him to sleep on
My child has special needs and that was a tip picked up at special school. They draw heat away and provide a cool surface to lie on
.must be worth a shot.

Cantchooseaname Mon 28-May-18 09:14:36

When I had to travel on underground in 30 degree plus heat I wet a muslin and used it as blanket/ mop face/ head.
Re bouncer- can you put something cotton under him?

owltrousers Mon 28-May-18 09:44:52

Brilliant, thanks flapjack - will defo order one. Do you put it under a sheet or does LO lay directly on top of it?

flapjackfairy Mon 28-May-18 09:58:30

I put a cotton sheet on it myself.
Hope it helps x

Roomba Mon 28-May-18 10:19:56

DS1 has always been a 'hotbod' - he was always sweaty when I put him in the recommended number of clothing layers/blankets/grobag and during the day he'd need at least layer less than recommended too.

He's still the same at 12.5yo, in fact he's worse if anything! We all sit shivering under blankets in front of the TV in winter, while he strips off and says 'It's boiling in here!' I joke that when he grows up he will be just like the dad in Friday Night Dinner (Channel 4) grin

Make sure your baby gets plenty to drink, wet muslins draped on him are a good idea when it's warm like today. DS used to fall asleep with a cold wet flannel covering his belly when he was tiny - the dog gel mats sound ideal!

moita Mon 28-May-18 11:48:59

My son was exactly the same as a baby. He's 16 months now and is happiest in as few clothes as possible when it's warm! I think some children just don't feel the cold as much.

owltrousers Tue 29-May-18 08:39:51

Thanks for the reassurance everyone - feel much better now that its just him and the way he is - curiously I was always boiling hot when pregnant with him.

He's only 4 months - is the wet muslin definitely ok? obviously don't want him to catch a cold but if he cools down this way then I'm all up for it.

moita Tue 29-May-18 09:33:59

Colds are caused by viruses.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: