Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Young DC sharing a room

(11 Posts)
Icklepickle101 Fri 25-May-18 12:52:36

If you had the choice of dc2 being in their own bedroom or sharing, which did you go for?

DS (2.5) has only recently starting sleeping through in the last 8 weeks or so, bedtime takes about an hour but isn’t too traumatic anymore.

Dc2 is due very soon and discussing with DP whether she will go in to the spare room or in with DS once she outgrows her Moses basket. I think DS would love to share his room with her but worried she would wake him in the night/bedtime would be a nightmare.

Any experience on which works better?

DailyMailFail101 Fri 25-May-18 12:56:23

Own rooms all the way when they are so small, they wake up so easily with each other tossing and turning, your 2.5 year old will be going to the toilet in the night and switching lights on and off, it would be too much hassle for me and my kids, everybody is different though.

letallthechildrenboogie Fri 25-May-18 12:58:25

Our kids not only shared the room, but also the bed, one at each end. I think the younger one was about 18 months when we moved him though.

LadyFlangeWidget Fri 25-May-18 12:58:51

My 14 month old had the room to himself til his brother was born. After 2 weeks in the moses, they were in the same room. Neither woke the other one, ever, despite, colic, screaming crying etc.

Fast forward 8 years later, they still share a room. It has been a source of joy, watching them grow into different little boys ( now big!) and at the same time always so close, loving and detesting each other in equal amounts! It wasn't a choice, we only ever have lived in a 2 bed flat. It means they feel safer, in the knowledge they are there for each other. ... so yes... for us its been positive.

(having said that If I had a big house with 4 beds plus then yes id give them the space they need and a room each. ) I think when they get to 8 + with all their s* and school books etc/ clothes/ football posters and whatnot... they need their own domain.

TimeToDrinkDecaff Fri 25-May-18 13:00:38

Depends how often you use your spare room. If you have guests every weekend then then sharing makes sense. Otherwise I’d not have a room sat empty when I could give my dc their own private spaces, especially as yours are no the same sex.

With reference waking each other, once asleep mine sleep like the dead, even the fire alarm doesn’t wake them so noise from each other wouldn’t necessarily be an issue

superking Fri 25-May-18 13:02:10

Ours have shared through choice (theirs and ours!) since the youngest was 1. It's worked well for us - they love sharing and although the first week was an adjustment, they now tune each other out and very rarely wake each other if one is upset in the night. I do often find DS1 in DS2's cot after lights out, which can be annoying but is actually quite sweet. Sometimes they will even play together in the morning for a while before waking us, which is a nice bonus!

MoHunter Fri 25-May-18 15:43:10

We chose for our boys to share for now even though we have a spare room. DS2 is a terrible sleeper actually and still wakes every night, but DS1 usually sleeps through and doesn’t get woken by DS2 crying.
I think it’s a good experience for them to share and imagine when they eventually get their own room they’ll appreciate it more.
The spare room gets used fairly regularly by family visits so that’s a big factor, I love having a guest bed ready and not having to move kids when someone comes to stay or having to mess about with a blow up bed etc.
Not sure how long they will share, for as long as they’re happy to I guess! If they were different sexes though I may feel differently.

PotteringAlong Fri 25-May-18 15:45:20

My 6 and 3 year old share, although we could in theory have them in their own rooms. The 15 month old has his own room.

ApocalypseNowt Fri 25-May-18 16:15:58

My 2 dc's shared from when dc2 was about 3mo. To be honest they had to as we were in a tiny house!

Went fine and they love being together now (4 & 6). Should mention though that dc1 is an Olympic standard sleeper and wouldn't wake for a bomb going off grin

Icklepickle101 Fri 25-May-18 18:57:28

Think we might try them in together.

DP gets up very early for work and his wardrobe is currently in the spare room so he doesn’t wake me up and we do occasionally have guests so it would be handy to have the space

SoyDora Fri 25-May-18 18:59:57

Mine had separate rooms, then we went on holiday when they were nearly 3 and 15 months and the 15 month old slept through the night for the first time in her life! We got home and put them straight into the same room, and she slept through from that day on.
We moved house and split them up again, but now they’re 4.5 and nearly 3 and are begging to go in the same room again with bunk beds. We’re expecting number 3 so I think I’ll put them back in together which means we’ll still have a guest room after the baby comes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: