Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Proud to have breast fed

(321 Posts)
Keepdlingwhatyourgutsays Wed 25-Apr-18 19:15:36

I will start off by saying I don't care if you bf or ff. I see so many posts where women say they ff but none on bf. they get taken down or people straight away think it's a dig. Honestly what ever you chose to do you do.

However after so many negative and nasty comments when I was breastfeeding I can say I did it. I didn't give in to the people who were nasty I didn't let them bully me into stopping. I was a younger mum not young young but I was young and I was still very insecure about a lot of things and I did not feel supportive.
I do remember once the first time I breastfed on the bus I did that thing where I assumed everyone would be staring and one elder gentlemen was and he just grinned a very kind grin and that kept me going through some of the nasty comments.
If you are breast feeding and getting comments from family or friends please ignore it because looking back they were just insecure (not everyone but the ones I New) or they are just plain nasty. Anyone who makes a nasty comment about that isn't nice nor needed.
But remember wether you breastfeed or bottle it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Online people get so angry about it but it really doesn't matter guys

SparklyMagpie Wed 25-Apr-18 19:18:06

Good for you hmm

PlaymobilPirate Wed 25-Apr-18 19:19:35

Bully for you. Why are you posting if it doesn't matter?

Keepdlingwhatyourgutsays Wed 25-Apr-18 19:21:09

There's never anywhere where people can just say there's happy they did. It felt like a massive battle and there were so many comments. Here's a thread for people to talk breast feeding.

Keepdlingwhatyourgutsays Wed 25-Apr-18 19:22:52

I find there's a lot of spaces for ff and too right to its nice to be able to talk about it. There is one currently on here if yourd like a look 😀

GummyGoddess Wed 25-Apr-18 19:25:02

I imagine she's posting in response to the other thread where the poor op regretted breastfeeding. She did amazingly but at huge detriment to her mental health due to some awful pressure from other people.

I don't see why it shouldn't be something to be proud of given how infuriatingly difficult I and many others found it. Being proud that I managed it doesn't mean I think it's any better than formula. I did it because I was stubborn and then realised I enjoyed it so changed my original plan to move solely to formula after a few weeks.

Keepdlingwhatyourgutsays Wed 25-Apr-18 19:26:02

and good for you too

Keepdlingwhatyourgutsays Wed 25-Apr-18 19:27:09

I spent a few days in tears as I couldn't get little one to latch. It was crazy I thought how can I not do this it's meant to be what boobs are for and I can't even use mine 😂

ObiJuanKenobi Wed 25-Apr-18 19:27:44

Why do you need to say you're happy about it to a bunch of strangers? What do you aim to get from this except possibly making others feel a bit shit if they really wanted to but couldn't?

Keepdlingwhatyourgutsays Wed 25-Apr-18 19:28:10

How long did people bf for as with people like Tamara eccleston feeding her so openly to four is it getting more popular long term feeding?

PositivelyPERF Wed 25-Apr-18 19:28:23

I imagine she's posting in response to the other thread where the poor op regretted breastfeeding

Well, if that’s the reason she started this thread, then that’s really fucking nasty and the OP should be ashamed of herself.

Keepdlingwhatyourgutsays Wed 25-Apr-18 19:29:19

I've encourage people in the middle. I said my struggle and said but don't let this knock you. It's empowering if you want it to be.

Keepdlingwhatyourgutsays Wed 25-Apr-18 19:30:03

Not at all. I've said several times my reasons and I could th care less what anyone else does. Please don't look to be offended

12PurpleSnails Wed 25-Apr-18 19:32:20

I don't understand why some people seem to get so many nasty comments about breastfeeding in public. I fed my daughter and didn't experience any. I'm regularly out with my friends who still feed and haven't had any with them either.

Keepdlingwhatyourgutsays Wed 25-Apr-18 19:33:03

This is what I mean you can never have a post about bf without everyone getting offened or it being deleted it's a shame but a sign as to how hard it is to bf

Keepdlingwhatyourgutsays Wed 25-Apr-18 19:35:04

@purplesnail mine came from people I new and one lady on a coach trip. We were having a break and mine needing feeding and the rude lady behind got up and loudly said if she's doing that I'm getting off I couldn't believe it. But this is what I mean all bf if people say that do not let it stop you.
And bottle feeders just ignore it.
It's hard to bough but you have to remember they are just nasty.
Can you imagine the sort of person who would say that so loudly in front of everyone. I was young to

igglepigglegingin Wed 25-Apr-18 19:36:31

"I can't even use mine 😂"
Yeah I found it hilarious when I couldn't "even" breastfeed. Perhaps you might like to rethink this thread OP.

Adviceplease360 Wed 25-Apr-18 19:36:34

Genuinely well done, breastfeeding is so difficult, its good to hear it can be done

Keepdlingwhatyourgutsays Wed 25-Apr-18 19:36:43

I've got to admit I do look. Even though I've fed myself and I don't mean to and I think gosh I hope they're don't think I'm staring disapprovingly. Because you don't see it so much it I think it's curiosity that makes me look which is crazy as I've done it myself

Bisquick Wed 25-Apr-18 19:37:21

I think the whole damn thing is being given some kind of “moral” gloss that it doesn’t need. I exclusively breastfed but I don’t think that makes me a better mother than anyone else. I only did it because for me it was luckily very easy and I had loads of support. We need to increase support for bf yes, but I don’t see why it needs to be some crusade with sleep deprived women martyring themselves to the cause and then feeling “proud”. Much like women who are so proud of their vaginal births that they judge those of us who had sections and make us feel miserable.
It’s all just a patriarchal conspiracy to hold women back by their own insecurities and judgement.

SparklyMagpie Wed 25-Apr-18 19:37:28

I couldn't make it past 3 days and had problems
If you dont care then why start a thread? Genuinely pleased for any woman who can do it and stick at it but I can't stand threads that bang on about it
It's not as simple as "stick at it"

Keepdlingwhatyourgutsays Wed 25-Apr-18 19:37:50

Iggle . I can laugh now but it was awful. I had the "tools" but I couldn't use them for what I needed to. It got me down a lot.

TookyClothespin Wed 25-Apr-18 19:38:44

Sorry you're getting so much negativity for starting this thread. Apparently you can't be proud to have breastfed because it offends those who couldnt.
I am proud to have breastfed both my daughters (still BF DD2). Neither were exclusively breastfed, both would likely have died if they hadn't had formula, but we fought through the struggles and I BF DD1 for 15 months and DD2 is still going strong at 14 months.
BF or formula, whatever choice you make you should be proud. Either way you are doing what's best for you and your child. No one should make you feel bad for your parenting choice.

Keepdlingwhatyourgutsays Wed 25-Apr-18 19:38:53

No I don't imagine it is. Premature babies all reasons why people can't. And I can o my begin to imagine there pain. A few days was bad enough.

Keepdlingwhatyourgutsays Wed 25-Apr-18 19:40:21

Mine would have done without formula. I doubt a baby can survive days without food.
It seems so strange now why didn't I pump it. I think I was just so stressed suddenly having this baby thinking I'd be able to do it then not. I was not prepared. I'm just so thankful I could pull through and we'll done

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: