Talk

Advanced search

How can I get toddler to eat!

(17 Posts)
Beansprout30 Sun 22-Apr-18 17:37:51

Dd is 21 and has always been a rubbish eater but she seems to be getting worse. She won't eat anything I cook, minimal fruit (used to eat plenty) she literally only wants cereal, banana, yoghurt, occasionally toast, cheese and that's about it. I've tried everything, high chair/no high chair, her own table, just grazing throughout the day, nothing will tempt her to eat.

She's started waking at night and really unhappy, I know this could be anything but I'm sure hunger is playing a part. Dh and mum says fill her up wit cereal before bed but i don't know if this is a bad idea as she will just hold out for this instead of eating dinner.

Any tips? I'm going insane and hate meal times

absolutelycrackers Sun 22-Apr-18 17:45:47

Normal sorry .
Advice. Wait it out and don't pander

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 22-Apr-18 17:49:11

It's a stage it will pass. One tip is get a good eater to come for a playdate/picnic in the park etc. My kids always ate better when they were around other kids who were eating.

SenoritaViva Sun 22-Apr-18 17:52:25

Don't panic. Be relaxed. Wait it out. Hard I know but just carry on as usual.

Do you all eat together so she can see you eating the same food?

Nanasueathome Sun 22-Apr-18 17:52:53

Do different foods in different plates and make it into a picnic
Put a blanket in the floor and sit with her whilst she eats

Beansprout30 Sun 22-Apr-18 18:15:20

Literally tried al the above, nursery tells me she eats well there. Would you carry on giving weetabix before bed as I know she will eat that? Thanks for reassuring me it's hard not to stress

absolutelycrackers Sun 22-Apr-18 18:16:02

No .
That's pandering

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 22-Apr-18 18:18:26

nursery tells me she eats well there yep mine were the same, they would come home with their book filled in saying ate Tomato soup, garlic bread, chilli and rice and jam Roly poly and custard plus seconds and I would be like this isn't my child I can barely get them to eat a bloody petis filou!!!

Cutesbabasmummy Mon 23-Apr-18 09:57:58

I have a fussy eater and only now at 3 is he starting to get better. I would give her something even if it is weetabix as it least it will be something in her tummy. Try not to make it a battle as I did and it was terrible. Once I stopped getting cross with him things got a bit better, She is still little at 21 months. absolutelycrackers that's not helpful advice. If you have't had a fussy eater you don't know how awful it can be.

isthistoonosy Mon 23-Apr-18 10:01:54

I'd def give some supper. Mine weren't particularly fussy eaters and I still gave them porridge or weetabix for supper at that age.

ThatsWotSheSaid Mon 23-Apr-18 10:04:58

It’s all about control so stop letting her control it all. Give her three meals a day without comment. If she doesn’t eat it don’t say anything but leave it on the side for half an hour in case she wants to go back to it. Try to include something she’ll eat in each meal. She get the message (Unless she has real sensory issues which doesn’t seem likely if she eats well at nursery).
Joe frost has some good YouTube videos with picky eaters.

user1472377586 Mon 23-Apr-18 10:10:42

Beansprout my eldest was very fussy. Make sure mealtime isn't stressful (for either of you).

I put a lot of effort into getting my child to 'accept' something as food. Eg beef mince (without onion or tomato or anything etc). Just the mince cooked in olive oil. Offer it over and over again. Just little bits, a lot of praise if even half a teaspoon is accepted.

I did this with a lot of vegetables and now he is 12 and eats everything.

Eventually the child will eat the 'acceptable' food happily.

PonderLand Mon 23-Apr-18 10:11:15

My ds 22m is the same, he's always been a bad eater. He has bread/cereal/yogurt most days! I've got no advice, he's losing weight now but nothing I do or have done works for him. I just give him what he wants and hope he'll grow out of it. I try him with one new food/snack per day. He has cereal for supper and 7oz of formula at bed, we've just started doing supper in the hope he starts to gain weight again

MessyBun247 Mon 23-Apr-18 12:25:08

Stop stressing. She’s only 1, she probably isn’t hungry for a big meal 3 times a day. I’d just feed her when she’s hungry and stop making a big issue as it just makes both of you miserable. There’s plenty of time for her to learn to sit at mealtimes.

Beansprout30 Mon 23-Apr-18 13:04:15

Thanks everyone will try and chill out, dh isn't worried but then it's not his cooking that goes in the bin everyday! I worked with someone who pretty much lived on haribo and coke and I think god I hope she doesn't end up like that shock

Also a recipe fb group I'm on doesn't help when I see others her age scoffing all sorts of lovely cooked foods

Lushmetender Mon 23-Apr-18 22:13:10

All mine went through phases - seemed to coincide with teething. Note our portions today are bigger than in olden days so maybe you thing your child should eat more than needed. I don’t have a magic wand as all 3 of mine have been fairly fussy with one particularly slow but as people say try not to pander. What from you’ve said your child is gettting a good range oh what they need

FartnissEverbeans Tue 24-Apr-18 05:10:50

We often give porridge for dinner! Nutritious and it fills them up.

Weetabix has lots of good stuff in it. It's fortified with iron.

I feel your pain though - toddler DS's diet seems to be narrowing instead of widening confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: