Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Any tips on how to stay sane during 4 month sleep regression???

(13 Posts)
crispaddict76 Sun 22-Apr-18 14:47:51

My LO is currently waking every 1-2 hours. I was lucky that I generally only had to wake once to feed him prior to this (I know I was lucky!) His naps have always been hit and miss but I had been starting to get some sort of pattern going on....now they are terrible. Any tips or success stories out there to help me through this blur!!! I’ve been I tears loads already today!! 😂😭

I’ve also noted he’s started feeding less just after he’d started taking more is this normal at this stage?

4mogirl Sun 22-Apr-18 14:55:27

I have just come out of this and swear by Anbesol (teething pain relief) - or any kind of teething pain relief, we used Anbesol as it’s dairy free. I didn’t realise at the time our girl was teething too, making it all much worse. If she had been given pain relief I’m sure it would have gone much easier on all of us.

She had a red spotty chin, loads more smelly nappies each day, bit of nappy rash when she never had previously, and up hourly for weeks, until one day she bit me and I worked out what had been going on! Gave Anbesol and she instantly went back to 3/4 hours sleeping like before.
Hope this helps, and remember 2 things...
1) it’s just a phase
2) the nights are long but the years are short. smile

crispaddict76 Sun 22-Apr-18 18:34:40

@4mogirl thank you for this. He could be teething actually as he is dribbling and shoving his fists into his mouth (although I wasn’t sure whether this was normal for his age anyway - it’s all such a guessing game isn’t it?!). He is getting really angry with his toys though as though he can’t get them in his mouth or when he does he still shouts!! So I’ve been and got some Ambesol thanks for the tip! How often did you give it to your little girl?

Rach000 Sun 22-Apr-18 19:22:31

My dd is going through this as well at the moment. She is also starting to teeth as she is dribbly and chewing things as well as hands now. I would also like the know when you used the anbesol for it to help with sleep. She used to wake 2 or 3 times a night so I am fairly used to waking at night but she used to go for 5 hours without waking at the start of the night so I got a decent amount of sleep but doesn't now. Are you breast or bottle feeding? I am breastfeeding but didn't know if introducing some bottles would help or not... probably not!

4mogirl Sun 22-Apr-18 19:46:11

I just used it right before she went to bed, so her last feed of the night.
I am doing a combination of breast and bottle, it used to be 1 bottle a day, and the rest me, but each day is different. Some days she will only want bottle and other days she will only want me! Such a wee madam already! But, whichever way I’m feeding her at night I stop to wind here then use my finger to give 1 decent amount of it on her gums, and let it sit for a wee min or so. I then give another bit of her feed after to wash the taste out, as it doesn’t smell pleasant so I’d imagine it’s not nice! She usually goes off to sleep nicely after that. Through the night I’ll give another 1 or 2 doses, depending on how often she wakes. I don’t give it every time she wakes, maybe every second time.
I only give maybe 1 dose throughout the day, as she doesn’t seem bothered too much then. It says you can use up to 8 times daily, so I use most of that at night. I read somewhere that babies aren’t as bothered by teeth during the day when there are distractions around, but at night it’s dark and quiet and all they can focus on is the pain of their teeth; and that can be why they wake more.
I’d say with hands/fists/toys that it’s a very high chance that’s what is going on!
I think Anbesol is something like 96% Alcohol which could be why they sleep better after!!😱😂
Hope this helps. I just wished someone had told me sooner, would have saved a lot of sleepless nights for everyone involved.

4mogirl Sun 22-Apr-18 19:50:01

@Rach000

Not sure about introducing bottles, I thought it would help her have a longer sleep, but her longest was 4 hours, so it didn’t make much difference for us. 5 hours sounds amazing!!!
I just liked knowing that someone else could feed her if I was ill/ away somewhere, and it would be easier for someone to babysit. That’s why we started one bottle a day.

crispaddict76 Sun 22-Apr-18 21:47:21

I rubbed some into his gums during his last feed so fingers crossed it helps him! His little face looked surprised by the taste 😁😂.

4mogirl Sun 22-Apr-18 23:36:31

Yea, my wee girl was a bit shocked too to begin with, now I think she knows it helps her so doesn’t fight it as much! Fingers crossed for you, please let me know how you get on.

crispaddict76 Mon 23-Apr-18 21:41:44

@4mogirl the Anbusol worked a treat and he slept much better last night. I managed to see his lower gums earlier and I am almost certain a tooth is breaking through the gums which explains a lot and I wouldn’t have been persistent in checking had it not been your suggestion so thank you xx

4mogirl Tue 24-Apr-18 08:52:24

Delighted to hear this!!! Same as me, I wouldn’t have thought to check/try pain relief if I hadn’t been told. My wee girls second tooth came through less than a week after the first, so I’ve just kept going with the Anbesol. Fingers crossed you all get better sleep now.smile

Rach000 Tue 24-Apr-18 11:05:07

Will try the anbesol tonight. She hasn't slept for 5 hours at once for a long time now!! Think that was when she was little and just slept a lot.
We tried a bottle at bedtime last night and she wasn't having any of it so I fed her. Then she woke a couple of hours later so tried again as she was more sleepy and she had some but not a lot. She then woke about an hour later wanting feeding so didn't really help...
I want her to be able to have a bottle so I can have a break or if I need to go some where she will be ok. We also have a wedding in a few months so need her to have bottles then as grandparents are looking after her and was hoping we could stay over.

4mogirl Tue 24-Apr-18 17:10:27

Have you tried different teats/bottles?

Rach000 Tue 24-Apr-18 21:25:51

No not tried different bottles or teats yet. Will try a couple more times and see, haven't really tried too much yet. But she had taken the bottle during the day before so hopefully will be ok.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: